GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do the cloth seats feel different than the leather ones?

SLWRTHNU

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I currently have the leather seats, but like most people, would rather the plaid cloth. I would rather the Clubsport but don't want to lose my armrest. So, would switching to the standard seats in cloth, feel any different structurally?

From this:
Screenshot_20231230_193321_Gallery.jpg

To this:
Screenshot_20231230_193252_Gallery.jpg

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
The seats in a 2018 or 2019 Golf R my friend wanted to buy were vastly more supple than the seats in my 2018 GTI. It's not just the leather, but the cushion and foam they used too. I imagine there's a similar distinction between Clark Cloth and the Vienna or Nappa leather seats.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Cloth grips you better than leather, cloth actually makes more sense for performance oriented driving.

SLWRTHNU

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Nice. Cloth is better and was my preference, but my options were limited when I was buying so I had to go with leather. Now to find someone willing to part with their cloth seats... You never know, miracles happen.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I prefer the cloth seats over the leather seats. I don't know if structurally they are different as seat and the side bolsters look the same. I do know that leather is feels colder in the winter and hotter in the summer when initially sitting down and you need to treat the leather occasionally to keep it from cracking. Of course my GTI sport came with the plaid cloth seats.

SLWRTHNU

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
It's too bad we don't live closer. We could have made each other's days.

The plaid cloth seats are manual, but heated, right?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I have cloth & Alcantara...Cloth on the sides & Alcantara on the base & back......simply the reverse of the "R" which is Alcantara on the sides & cloth on the base & back...

Also my seats are not the full "Sports" shape as the GTI/R...but what VW call "Sports comfort"....

PA302058-reduced.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
It's too bad we don't live closer. We could have made each other's days.

The plaid cloth seats are manual, but heated, right?
Yes. Electric seats to me are just something else to go fail and they weigh more.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Yes. Electric seats to me are just something else to go fail and they weigh more.
Electric seats with a memory feature are fantastic if your car is used by more than one person.
Otherwise it's a nightmare to return to the seat and mirror positions you like if you're particular about those.
But if you're the only one who drives your car?
Well then, you're hardly ever moving the seat. Maybe just forward and back in the tracks.
Power adjusting steering columns are a particular waste to me.