GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2025 Gti

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Hate the tablet infotainment on the dash, but I guess I’ll buy one when it comes to the states in 2026 as it will undoubtedly be the last ICE GTI.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I like the redesigned front grill. I like the physical buttons. I dislike the steering wheel. The big a$$ tablet is meh. Thumbs down on no manual.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The front bumper fixes the biggest problem I had with the MK8 GTI. I don't know how I feel about the giant tablet. It looks more "tacked on", like it was just slapped on after the design of the dash was finished, vs. a bit more integrated like the MK8 one is.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
More BS electronics on it that have nothing to enhance the driving experience, especially no manual gearbox, so for me it is out, I'll keep my 2017 GTI Sport.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
The lower intake is a tremendous improvement.
Gone is that shapeless, gaping maw.
I like the addition of real buttons on the wheel, but positively hate the tablet they added in the center.
The MK8 actually had a nice intergration of screens, the way they flowed together. (though I'm not a fan of screens)
Looks like they still have HVAC sliders, or am I missing something?
In any event, having owned a MK6, and my current MK8, I'm out after I give up this car in around a year and a half.
Still love the car, but don't like the MK8 enough to want to continue to deal with low profile tires, and babying a car over sharp dips, driveway transitions, broken pavement etc.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
hate that tablet look.....

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
The lower intake is a tremendous improvement.
Gone is that shapeless, gaping maw.
I like the addition of real buttons on the wheel, but positively hate the tablet they added in the center.
The MK8 actually had a nice intergration of screens, the way they flowed together. (though I'm not a fan of screens)
Looks like they still have HVAC sliders, or am I missing something?
In any event, having owned a MK6, and my current MK8, I'm out after I give up this car in around a year and a half.
Still love the car, but don't like the MK8 enough to want to continue to deal with low profile tires, and babying a car over sharp dips, driveway transitions, broken pavement etc.

Get 17” wheels like Neuspeed’s and go to 45 sidewalls with a tire like DWS06+. Makes a crazy difference in comfort and also adds performance. GTIs aren’t Corvettes they don’t really require “babying the car over” the above stated obstacles.

Totally get not loving the MK8 enough to want one. Even if the 8.5 makes up for my misgivings with the 8, I just generally lack passion or appreciation for the brand these days. I am ready for my 8th car to be Japanese. I want either an 11th gen Civic Type R or the next gen Miata for my first foray outside VW, and also my first 2nd car (not getting rid of my Touareg - EVER. It will be my child’s first car lol).

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Glad to see the buttons back on the wheel, but I don't think does enough to address the lack of buttons elsewhere, especially for HVAC control. Not a huge fan of tacked on screens vs. integrated into the dash/console, but at least not as garish as some of the older Audi ones.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Get 17” wheels like Neuspeed’s and go to 45 sidewalls with a tire like DWS06+. Makes a crazy difference in comfort and also adds performance. GTIs aren’t Corvettes they don’t really require “babying the car over” the above stated obstacles...
This might depend on where you live. There are several places that I drive every day in Los Angeles where my Golf (TDI, not GTI) at stock height will scrape the lower bumper. Some are bad enough that I've had the PLA 3.0 maneuver braking kick in and stop the car... quite frightening the first time it happens, haha. There are also some transitions (more like steps) in road height in a few places that I significantly slow down for... top of mind is a nasty step at one point coming down the hill into SFV from Hollywood on Laurel Canyon, for those familiar. It will make you think you broke something.

I currently run 17" Neuspeeds and will be going to 45 sidewalls for comfort. Running 35 sidewalls until these tires are worn, only went 35 because the car was low, with added camber/caster and spacers so I was rubbing. Even with DCC in comfort I want my tire than I currently have.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
This might depend on where you live. There are several places that I drive every day in Los Angeles where my Golf (TDI, not GTI) at stock height will scrape the lower bumper. Some are bad enough that I've had the PLA 3.0 maneuver braking kick in and stop the car... quite frightening the first time it happens, haha. There are also some transitions (more like steps) in road height in a few places that I significantly slow down for... top of mind is a nasty step at one point coming down the hill into SFV from Hollywood on Laurel Canyon, for those familiar. It will make you think you broke something.

I currently run 17" Neuspeeds and will be going to 45 sidewalls for comfort. Running 35 sidewalls until these tires are worn, only went 35 because the car was low, with added camber/caster and spacers so I was rubbing. Even with DCC in comfort I want my tire than I currently have.

That shit kicks in if I back down my driveway too fast and at too sharp of an angle. Fucking scares the shit out of me every time.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Get 17” wheels like Neuspeed’s and go to 45 sidewalls with a tire like DWS06+. Makes a crazy difference in comfort and also adds performance. GTIs aren’t Corvettes they don’t really require “babying the car over” the above stated obstacles.

Totally get not loving the MK8 enough to want one. Even if the 8.5 makes up for my misgivings with the 8, I just generally lack passion or appreciation for the brand these days. I am ready for my 8th car to be Japanese. I want either an 11th gen Civic Type R or the next gen Miata for my first foray outside VW, and also my first 2nd car (not getting rid of my Touareg - EVER. It will be my child’s first car lol).
Yes, I understand that going to 17's with higher sidewalls would lesson some of issues.
But I'm 9 years into this car (that's twice the length of time I've had any other car) and before this, I had a MK6.
It's getting to be time to get out of this car anyway and since I don't love the MK8 - no "Gotta' have it!" feeling like I had when the MK7 debuted - I'm going to be looking for something different.
I'd like a vehicle I could throw a kayak on the roof of, maybe go down an unpaved road without cringing.
Kind of done with the performance car thing.