GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2025 Gti

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Yes, I understand that going to 17's with higher sidewalls would lesson some of issues.
But I'm 9 years into this car (that's twice the length of time I've had any other car) and before this, I had a MK6.
It's getting to be time to get out of this car anyway and since I don't love the MK8 - no "Gotta' have it!" feeling like I had when the MK7 debuted - I'm going to be looking for something different.
I'd like a vehicle I could throw a kayak on the roof of, maybe go down an unpaved road without cringing.
Kind of done with the performance car thing.

Aye aye brother I feel you - I "aged out" of the performance car thing after I accrued 10 points on my license in < 2 years my sophomore/jr year of college. Interestingly, it was all when I had a DSG MK7. Owned 3 GTIs, and when I was driving my manual MK6 and MK7 I wasn't getting in trouble. I think the responsiveness and quick shifts were both addictive and encouraged risky maneuvers I wouldn't have done driving stick. I went to a 6MT Alltrack in March of 2020 and haven't been pulled over since. I also have a gf and 2 dogs now so I guess I'm growing up.

These days driving a white Touareg, cops don't even see me. Just another white SUV, most cops probably confuse it with a Tiguan which is mostly younger (20-30something) girls driving those.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Ngl I love the look of the refresh overall much more. Still prefer the 7.5, but the 8.5 is definitely better than the 8. It's a shame I'm not in the market, because I'd buy one of these for a daily pretty quickly. We'll see what they look like once released though, and at what price point.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Aye aye brother I feel you - I "aged out" of the performance car thing after I accrued 10 points on my license in < 2 years my sophomore/jr year of college. Interestingly, it was all when I had a DSG MK7. Owned 3 GTIs, and when I was driving my manual MK6 and MK7 I wasn't getting in trouble. I think the responsiveness and quick shifts were both addictive and encouraged risky maneuvers I wouldn't have done driving stick. I went to a 6MT Alltrack in March of 2020 and haven't been pulled over since. I also have a gf and 2 dogs now so I guess I'm growing up.

These days driving a white Touareg, cops don't even see me. Just another white SUV, most cops probably confuse it with a Tiguan which is mostly younger (20-30something) girls driving those.
For sure.
And I still love my GTI.
I check it out every time I approach it.
I just saw a movie with one of my son't the other night, and the car looked so good parked alone under a street lamp in the parking lot when we came out of the theater.
If the MK8 had that got to have it factor, perhaps I'd still replace this car with one of those.
But since it doesn't, and I need the utility the GTI brings - I'm willing to give up some performance for some other attributes.
I'm heavily leaning towards a Mazda CX-50.
Just drove one a few days ago, and the steering was remarkably similar to the GTI's. (I keep my steering on the sport setting)
I really liked that the cabin was also mostly conventional which is getting rare in newer vehicles.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
For sure.
And I still love my GTI.
I check it out every time I approach it.
I just saw a movie with one of my son't the other night, and the car looked so good parked alone under a street lamp in the parking lot when we came out of the theater.
If the MK8 had that got to have it factor, perhaps I'd still replace this car with one of those.
But since it doesn't, and I need the utility the GTI brings - I'm willing to give up some performance for some other attributes.
I'm heavily leaning towards a Mazda CX-50.
Just drove one a few days ago, and the steering was remarkably similar to the GTI's. (I keep my steering on the sport setting)
I really liked that the cabin was also mostly conventional which is getting rare in newer vehicles.
I'm there too -- CX5/CX50. My wife has a Skyactiv-G in her 2018, and it's a fun engine that gives a fairly fun degree of midrange power, and so far it's been solidly reliable. IIRC they were having water pump/thermostat issues with the 2.5T, but that's nothing all that new for those of us in the VW-sphere anyway. In general I like the Mazda offerings.

I have trouble pinning down what it was in particular about the mk8's exterior that I didn't like. I know I didn't like the Mr. Burns front end with the swooping grille, and overall the car looked very high-waisted. I'd still like to see the mk8.5 without camo (and without the tablet dash), but it looks like a step in the right direction.

also the ID Buzz looks rad for what it is

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I'd like a vehicle I could throw a kayak on the roof of, maybe go down an unpaved road without cringing.
Kind of done with the performance car thing.
Subie......blend both!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Subie......blend both!
A Subie would actually be exactly what I'm looking for.
I just can't get with the styling, and for me styling can be reason to own or not own a vehicle.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
A Subie would actually be exactly what I'm looking for.
I just can't get with the styling, and for me styling can be reason to own or not own a vehicle.

Same here. So many things I'd buy IF it weren't powered by a boxer.

Yeah tbh, you'd have to get an older Fozzie to get a better look and then, you'd be going back 10 years so not really a great option. I mean, I'd take an old Audi quattro 5 cyl though.....

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
pics in sigs should be banned

He likes to be annoying on purpose.

All good. One more to add to my ignore list.

Y'all just mad it's spreading the truth :ROFLMAO:

If I'm being honest, I sometimes forget there's more to the forums than just the OT section. While I don't mind doing annoying things there from time to time in good sport, I don't mean to inflict it on the general masses in other areas. Maybe @jay745 could change it so pictures in sigs only show in the OT sections of the forums?

Until he implements that change, I'll remove the sig pics and try to keep in mind that there's other areas of the forum where people don't care about the OT debauchery.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
The MK8 doesn't do it for me, the refresh is nice but I was never bothered by the capacitive buttons anyways. I briefly drove a MK8 not long ago it was nice, but didn't give me the "this is right feel" I've gotten every time I've been in a 7. DSG is great but no 6mt is a no-go for me in a car like this.

My 7.5 will be in the stable for a long time I think, especially if I get forced into an auto for my next daily driver

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
For what it's worth, the "camo" car they showed is almost definitely the Clubsport variant given the more aggressive bumper, spoiler, and Akrapovic Ti exhaust. Here's an image of supposedly the standard GTI facelift:
IMG_3662.png

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
For what it's worth, the "camo" car they showed is almost definitely the Clubsport variant given the more aggressive bumper, spoiler, and Akrapovic Ti exhaust. Here's an image of supposedly the standard GTI facelift: View attachment 297696

Even that front bumper looks a bit better than the current MK8 one. It looks somewhat close to the MK8 Clubsport one.