GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which coil overs are best for my situation

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
IE is good for the ECU tune but their DSG tune is not for me. I hate how it holds gears and shifts in regular city driving.

I had the IE DSG tune in my old GTI, and didn't like how if you were slowing down, it didn't downshift to a lower gear until you were down to like 1100 rpm, and then it finally would downshift, and make the car bog when you got back on the gas cuz you were at like 1500rpm.. When I got the R, I decided to try the APR DSG tune (mostly because it was on sale, and wascheaper at the time), and I am pleased that when slowing down, it does downshift at a higher rpm, and doesn't bog. Other than that, it is hard to tell the difference between the two.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I had the IE DSG tune in my old GTI, and didn't like how if you were slowing down, it didn't downshift to a lower gear until you were down to like 1100 rpm, and then it finally would downshift, and make the car bog when you got back on the gas cuz you were at like 1500rpm.. When I got the R, I decided to try the APR DSG tune (mostly because it was on sale, and wascheaper at the time), and I am pleased that when slowing down, it does downshift at a higher rpm, and doesn't bog. Other than that, it is hard to tell the difference between the two.
Yes that's pretty stupid too by IE. I asked them to update the tune and they said they won't. Does the APR DSG tune hold gears just as long before automatically upshifting?

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
buy a dedicated track car. dual duty cars are solely an exercise in compromise. I bought an e46 m3 to replace my GTI's track duties, and have never looked back (even if the m3 is heavier and slower haha)
I've been going back and forth for the past few weeks trying to decide what to do. I got all the suspension parts in my cart to purchase, and I almost pushed the submit order button, and a Cayman S that looked good popped up out of nowhere, and the guy is only about 3.5 hrs away from me. I decided to pursue that car at this point. I have a plan to pick it up in about a week and a half. If anything falls through for any reason, I'll probably go back to my order and hit the submit button, lol.

Isty

Car(s)
GTI Clubsport
Gonna hijack the thread a bit with similar problem!

Looking to replace OEM ddc dampers with coilovers.
Today I have the 034motorsport Camster mounts, 034 dynamic rco, powerflex adjustable wishbone bushing and Eibach pro kit springs, which all gives me -3.5 camber up front.

I daily the car for work and do 4-6 trackdays per year.

I would like to keep the price at b16 levels but it Öhlins is the way to go then why not?

Do you have to get a DDC delete kit or can you just drive with the faulty messages?

I'm probably gonna run 265/35-18 up front with protrack one 18x9 et52, seems like it should work out with current setup at least but will coilovers change that?

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
Yes that's pretty stupid too by IE. I asked them to update the tune and they said they won't. Does the APR DSG tune hold gears just as long before automatically upshifting?

Not in D. In S mode, there might be a couple of times where the car hangs on to 3rd gear for a bit too long when you are just cruising, and will sit at 3000rpm for a bit without upshifting, but it's not often. I'll have to speed up for a second to make it kick into 4th and then back off (or use the paddle).

My commute is all surface streets now, so I'm never really going much faster than 40-45 mph or so on my way home, and even then, this situation is rare enough that it doesn't happen much. Most of the time, I drive in Sport mode, and everything is fine. But of course, YMMV.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Gonna hijack the thread a bit with similar problem!

Looking to replace OEM ddc dampers with coilovers.
Today I have the 034motorsport Camster mounts, 034 dynamic rco, powerflex adjustable wishbone bushing and Eibach pro kit springs, which all gives me -3.5 camber up front.

I daily the car for work and do 4-6 trackdays per year.

I would like to keep the price at b16 levels but it Öhlins is the way to go then why not?

Do you have to get a DDC delete kit or can you just drive with the faulty messages?

I'm probably gonna run 265/35-18 up front with protrack one 18x9 et52, seems like it should work out with current setup at least but will coilovers change that?
if you don't solve the DCC issue you can't turn off traction control. there are several canceler kits, or alternatively you can code off DCC and re-wire your AFS sensor to the BCM directly.

I would run at least a 7mm spacer on those wheels, but I think 265/35 has better odds of fitting with more caster than 245/40.

Isty

Car(s)
GTI Clubsport
if you don't solve the DCC issue you can't turn off traction control. there are several canceler kits, or alternatively you can code off DCC and re-wire your AFS sensor to the BCM directly.

I would run at least a 7mm spacer on those wheels, but I think 265/35 has better odds of fitting with more caster than 245/40.

Ah, thank you for this info! Had no idea about the traction control part.
I've got 10mm, 15mm and 20 or 25mm spacers so the 10s should be perfect if needed.
I guess KW DDC and the Bilstein Damptronics are a no-go? Would be fantastic to be able to use DDC still as OEM, but I rather have the better dampers if thats the case.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I've been going back and forth for the past few weeks trying to decide what to do. I got all the suspension parts in my cart to purchase, and I almost pushed the submit order button, and a Cayman S that looked good popped up out of nowhere, and the guy is only about 3.5 hrs away from me. I decided to pursue that car at this point. I have a plan to pick it up in about a week and a half. If anything falls through for any reason, I'll probably go back to my order and hit the submit button, lol.
Hell ya. Cayman is always the answer, not Miata. Enjoy!

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Ah, thank you for this info! Had no idea about the traction control part.
I've got 10mm, 15mm and 20 or 25mm spacers so the 10s should be perfect if needed.
I guess KW DDC and the Bilstein Damptronics are a no-go? Would be fantastic to be able to use DDC still as OEM, but I rather have the better dampers if thats the case.
up to you really. my understanding is that the KW DDC is using the ohlins/tenneco valve similarly to our stock DCC, whereas Bilstein is more like PASM and is mostly just rebound-adjustment. KW is much softer, Bilstein is more appropriately sprung for track use, but both are progressive, not linear.

Neither are rebuildable, which is the main reason I'd avoid them given the $3k+ pricetag.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I've not driven in a car with the DCC but why not keep the factory dampers and just run some springs?