GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Ultralink - At Home Flash Tuning is Here!

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Has anyone not not made that claim?

Pedantics.
Serious question... pedantics in what way?

The post I quoted made this statement...
APR also cannot flash back to stock before going to the dealer to avoid a TD1. No different than Cobb, IE, or any other tuning platforms.

I'm legitimately asking if APR made a claim that flashing back to stock would avoid a TD1? I only yesterday found out APR even had tunes for the MK7 TDI so I've not been in their tuning threads.

This thread is about their new product to flash at home. Unless I missed somewhere that it was said flashing to stock would avoid a TD1... what point is the quoted statement making? Or what is it refuting?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Safe to say that the bullet point about resetting the flash counter on the ECU is worthless to MK7 owners

I wouldn’t necessarily say that.

The bullet point has done an excellent job of keeping this thread bumped to the top of the forum, which has made more MK7 owners who may be interested in at home flashing with APR software aware of this product.

I do have to say thank you to everyone for that. 😎

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
I thought I remembered years ago the APR stock tune was their version of the stock tune, not the OEM's actual stock tune, so if Germany actually looked at it, they would see it's not the VW tune.

We start with the OEM code. When you flash the car back to stock, it’s just the OEM file again. There’s no point in complicating it by making our own “stock” tune or something like that.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

The bullet point has done an excellent job of keeping this thread bumped to the top of the forum, which has made more MK7 owners who may be interested in at home flashing with APR software aware of this product.

Cup is half full at least.

cb1111

Cup is half full at least.
Yes, the arrogance of APR is quite astounding.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Serious question... pedantics in what way?

The post I quoted made this statement...

I'm legitimately asking if APR made a claim that flashing back to stock would avoid a TD1? I only yesterday found out APR even had tunes for the MK7 TDI so I've not been in their tuning threads.

This thread is about their new product to flash at home. Unless I missed somewhere that it was said flashing to stock would avoid a TD1... what point is the quoted statement making? Or what is it refuting?
I meant pedantics for everyone else. It's like "They didn't specifically say blah blah blah so therefore they must be lying...."
Personally I don't care about the details. Great to have another at home tuning option. I'm not a APR fanboy but I do have a few of their products and they work great.

loopless

Passed Driver's Ed
Kind of seems like APR is making a big deal about being able to reset the flash counter which is a non-issue for every other software/hardware developer on this platform.

Perhaps APR should advertise other useless features like being able to use their device as a coaster, makeshift frisbee or a chew toy for small dogs.
Honestly, what Arin said is so clear and unambiguous it boggles the mind that so many are hating on him. Everyone knows there is a flash counter. There is a lot of FUD about tuning that "VW knows how many times you car should have been flashed blah blah blah TD1 blah blah". So to shut that questionable door, APR can now reset that counter. Jeez, it's not that complicated. And I guess **SOME** ECU's might brick if you flash more than 'N' times without resetting the counter. That's a reasonable assumption. I doubt anyone knows exactly which ECU's have a limit and what it is, I don't see APR going to the expense and trouble to find out.

And to clarify, as always, if you are tuned and you do not refresh to stock you are risking being flagged TD1 at the VW dealer - though typically they don't check unless they have a reason to.

cb1111

What is?
Honestly, what Arin said is so clear and unambiguous it boggles the mind that so many are hating on him. Everyone knows there is a flash counter. There is a lot of FUD about tuning that "VW knows how many times you car should have been flashed blah blah blah TD1 blah blah". So to shut that questionable door, APR can now reset that counter. Jeez, it's not that complicated. And I guess **SOME** ECU's might brick if you flash more than 'N' times without resetting the counter. That's a reasonable assumption. I doubt anyone knows exactly which ECU's have a limit and what it is, I don't see APR going to the expense and trouble to find out.

And to clarify, as always, if you are tuned and you do not refresh to stock you are risking being flagged TD1 at the VW dealer - though typically they don't check unless they have a reason to.
Do you really believe that "refreshing to stock" can avoid getting flagged?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Most of what loopless is saying. VW has other ways of discovering if a car has been tuned than just the flash counter. This is a stupid marketing bullet point. APR, the large, risk-averse company selling people warrantied ECU tunes, absolutely knows which ECUs have hard flash limits. Arin might not, but I don't think they put the guys reversing ECUs in charge of making forum posts.

cb1111

Most of what loopless is saying. VW has other ways of discovering if a car has been tuned than just the flash counter. This is a stupid marketing bullet point. APR, the large, risk-averse company selling people warrantied ECU tunes, absolutely knows which ECUs have hard flash limits. Arin might not, but I don't think they put the guys reversing ECUs in charge of making forum posts.
I loved the sentence "And to clarify, as always, if you are tuned and you do not refresh to stock you are risking being flagged TD1 at the VW dealer - though typically they don't check unless they have a reason to."

Once tuned, you're tuned, and a trip to dealer for anything but a cup of coffee risks them checking for updates or scanning for other reasons. Techs are also encouraged to submit reports of piggyback tunes that result in a different flag (TD4?) - although I doubt that many do that.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Electric cars will be our only choice soon. Life is too short to worry about TD1. If you're worried about TD1, don't flash the car.
Right on. If you are worried about your warranty, therefore the TD1 flag, you have no business flashing your car.

In fact, if someone so worried about blowing up their engine which would put their family on the streets homeless, maybe you have no business tuning the car...ever. Maybe you have no business owning a GTI either. :ROFLMAO: Maybe you should work on building skills and making more money before adventuring into modding VWs. 🤷‍♂️

Kart17

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
We start with the OEM code. When you flash the car back to stock, it’s just the OEM file again. There’s no point in complicating it by making our own “stock” tune or something like that.
I'd be curious is there anywhere we can see the revision history / logs for the tunes? I'd like to know whether I have the latest flashed as of April last year, but also to be able to see if there are any improvements.