GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Ultralink - At Home Flash Tuning is Here!

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Did I the miss the part where the stock tune is not the stock tune, or did APR figure out a way to actually load the OEM stock tune?

The stock tune is the stock tune. We have a copy of every box code and revision we tune. Loading it doesn’t require anything special as it has all the correct keys and such as it’s the original signed factory file.

cb1111

Looking back in the thread I saw nowhere Arin made the claim it would reset the TD1 flag, in fact he said it would not. Just others getting confused.
He never claimed it would "reset" the flag (you'd need to hack into the mothership to do that), but there was a claim about restoring the stock tune - which might imply that it removes all traces of other mods.

The problem is that most (all?) of these guys make misleading claims and then get offended when they are called on it.

this is not a professional way of running a company.

cb1111

The stock tune is the stock tune. We have a copy of every box code and revision we tune. Loading it doesn’t require anything special as it has all the correct keys and such as it’s the original signed factory file.
Are you saying that IF you flash back to the stock tune before a dealer scan (on a car that was not flagged previously), then a TD1 flag will not be set?

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Are you saying that IF you flash back to the stock tune before a dealer scan (on a car that was not flagged previously), then a TD1 flag will not be set?
I take this as it’s the stock file vs Cobb Stage 0 “stock” tune. It doesn’t wipe everything else on the ECU back to “stock”

backcountry

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Again, what is the correct number of flashes required to brick our ECUs? You claimed that it was 100 but that was quickly refuted.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
I take this as it’s the stock file vs Cobb Stage 0 “stock” tune. It doesn’t wipe everything else on the ECU back to “stock”

When you flash stock with APR, you get the stock file. Some tuners won’t give you the stock file unless you “uninstall” everything - which also locks out other tuners from writing over the tune. It’s likely some do this so they can offer quicker calibration only sector flashes without worrying about accidentally applying a cal only flash to someone else’s tune.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Why keep bringing the discussion back to points that are already settled? The number of flashes is not 100, he was mistaken... Can we not move past that?

The specific ECU in "our" cars may not have a limit. Or it may have a limit that is sky high... Does it make a difference really at this point since the tool in question resets the counter? Our ECU not having a limit does not mean that no ECUs have a limit, but that also doesn't matter because again, the tool resets the counter.

A person can be wrong without intentionally misleading. And once that claim is debunked, what is there to continue discussing? It's been 3 days. I know we're online but 3 days is still 3 days. It's not like that claim has been sitting out there for some extended time while they try to sell product based on (intentionally or unintentionally) misleading information.

There's no (known) way to reset a TD1 flag because that's on the VW side. If you flash an ECU tune, you run the risk of the flag. Am I confused or is there actually nothing confusing about that?

If you don't want to jeopardize the parts of your warranty that are put in jeopardy by a TD1 flag... don't flash during the warranty period 🤷🏿‍♂️.

backcountry

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
We reset the flash counter with each flash. So, you won't show 50+ flashes or whatever (depending how much you flash). Also, if we didn't, you'd eventually hit a limiter and brick the ECU.
Just asking what the exact number of flashes is to brick the ECU since APR has first-hand knowledge after bricking MK7 ECUs.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Just asking what the exact number of flashes is to brick the ECU since APR has first-hand knowledge after bricking MK7 ECUs.
there is no exact count on these continental ECUs. the hardware limit is definitely over a thousand, possibly in the tens of thousands.
Arin was likely getting confused with the older Bosch units that had a hard limit.

backcountry

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Arin was likely getting confused
Safe to say that the bullet point about resetting the flash counter on the ECU is worthless to MK7 owners as we can never reach the flash limit and resetting the counter does nothing to prevent TD1 flags.

APR also cannot flash back to stock before going to the dealer to avoid a TD1. No different than Cobb, IE, or any other tuning platforms.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Safe to say that the bullet point about resetting the flash counter on the ECU is worthless to MK7 owners as we can never reach the flash limit and resetting the counter does nothing to prevent TD1 flags.

APR also cannot flash back to stock before going to the dealer to avoid a TD1. No different than Cobb, IE, or any other tuning platforms.
I would not say "never". The number is not 100 though.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Has anyone ever made that claim?

I thought I remembered years ago the APR stock tune was their version of the stock tune, not the OEM's actual stock tune, so if Germany actually looked at it, they would see it's not the VW tune. Seems Arin is saying the stock tune they use is the actual stock tune. The chances for Germany actually going to the trouble of analyzing it may be slim to none. Now, if APR could actually remove the telltale flags, they might corner the market for people who care about their warranties for more than APR plus or a tune exceeding 369 lb. ft. of torque. I reference that number because I believe the Audi S3 develops that much stock.