GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Imported MK7 GTI from Japan - No sound at all

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Bummer!! As I said -it was a guess.

Yes, I'm aware of GITHUB and "More Incredible Bash" albeit I've not used the software to convert a Japanese MIB. I guess you could try - but be aware that this type of exercise is a one-way-street meaning that once you go down this route there is no way to reset to the original set-up.

Of course in this case, the original set-up is of little value - so the lost option ain't worth much!!

If the "More Incredible Bash" method bricks the Japanese MIB, and you pursue a MIB replacement - you should know that you will encounter a mechanism called "Component Protection" (CP). This is a special protocol that VW uses in the Golf mk7 supposedly to combat the black-market trade in stolen parts - but in reality, I suspect that the real purpose of CP is to enhance the role of dealers!!.

Anyway, CP works like this: every time that you turn-ON the ignition, a CP software routine is run which requires that the primary modules in the car disclose their identity. The Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533) module in your VCDS scan report then compares each of the reported module identities against an encrypted master-list of modules that has been authorized by VW for this car's VIN. Alas, the MIB is a member module of the CP "constellation" - not all of the car's modules are in this category .

If any of the responding module identities in the CP interrogation process differ from those in the authorized list, a CP error is generated in the fault memory of the offending module. Ironically, the normal consequence of a CP error on the
MIB is no audio - yes, the same symptom as currently exists on the Japanese MIB!

So- the ONLY formal way to delete a CP error is to have a dealer insert the new module's identity into the car's encrypted master-list of authorized modules. That said, it is possible to hack the MIB software to deal with the loss of audio caused by a CP error - but this normally involves the very unofficial services of a third party

Don

Last edited:

SNDempsey

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Ah it was definitely worth a go attempting it as it did make sense in a way. I did see if I could find a way to code out the TV tuner completely so it's no longer part of the system to see if that could help but couldn't find anything on doing that. If you see this reply before I attempt flashing it let me know if theres a way through VCDS.

Providing Amazon delivers my SDXC card tomorrow I'll give the conversion ago and hope for the best. I actually don't care about having the navigation working as it'll never be used.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Scott: Yes - it would be good if you tried totally disconnecting the TV turner and clearing the errors before you hack the MIB. It's not difficult and it's a 2 x part process:
  1. The physical disconnect -which depends on whether you want to completely remove the module from the car (otherwise, unplug the E connector again as you did for my failed test)
  2. Coding changes to remove the module from the car's CAN network
The coding part relates to your previous observations "only related codes I had was TV tuner module not detected and an optical bus error". So the coding changes deal with each of these 2 x errors

For the "TV module not detected" error - you need to tell the Address 19: CAN Gateway module to no longer talk to the TV module. To do this, you need to remove the TV tuner from the Gateway Installation List (GIL) which is a register of each module in the car that is authorized to participate in CAN network discussions. The process goes like this:
  1. Start by clicking 19-CAN Gateway from the Select Control Module screen
  2. Click Installation List on the CAN Gateway module screen
  3. Scroll down the module entries on the GIL screen until you reach 57 - TV Tuner -> remove the tick from the box
  4. Select Write coding
  5. Software will exit GIL screen - go to next process
For the "optical bus error", you need to turn-off the MOST optical signal that starts in the MIB and is sent to the TV tuner via the 2 x fiber-optic cables on connector B in my previous picture. Turning-OFF the MOST facility is done by flipping the MOST software switch on the MIB's long-code., The relevant software switch for this purpose lives on Byte 19, Bit 5

The process for switching-OFF MOST goes like this:
  1. From the Select Control Module screen (1st screen above), select 5F-Information Electr
  2. Select Coding-07
  3. Select Long Coding Helper
  4. Navigate to Byte 19
  5. Remove the tick from the Bit 5 box -see below (tick-boxes are missing from my picture- but they should appear on your screen)
  6. Click "X" on the top Right-side of the screen below
  7. The New Coding Box on the Recode screen should be populated with the changed Long-code string
  8. Click on Do it! and follow prompts
  9. Exit VCDS software, remove cable from OBD port

That's it!!!

Don

Last edited:

SNDempsey

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Well Ive failed at the first hurdle , TV Tuner 57 module isn't ticked in the CAN Gateway Installation List, yet it shows up in the GIL under AutoScan. And I thought with it disconnected I should get a malfunction in the 19-CAN Gateway Status but that reports back OK.

Edit : TV Tuner still disconnected and I done nothing else other than start the car and reset the MIB a few times by holding the power button for 10 seconds. Magically the audio is working away with my phone connected via Bluetooth. I turned car off reset the MIB again and again and it continues to work. It's just a matter of time before it stops again though. I even have 3 radio stations working even though they are only in the 76MHz to 90MHz.

EDIT 2: Turned off car and went inside for some lunch. Came back out no audio again. Done nothing with VCDS this time, TV tuner still unplugged. Reset the MIB about 10 times with only ignition on and no joy, started the engine and then proceeded to reset MIB and audio came back after about 3 resets.

Leaning towards something up with the MIB or the firmware on it is junk. Also read that the amplifier ICs could need resoldering , found the following on another forum regarding Harman unit.

resolder both amplifier IC's ( TDF8597TH/N1 and 8530TH/N1S1 ).
this is the most common failure on these units, if all works but no sound (or crackling noises).
occasionally, it can happen that the amplifiers IC's must be replaced.

Also found it been referenced on a MIB Facebook group. A guy said it's rare they need to be replaced , just resolder them and that'll do the trick. So this is my next plan of action before converting the unit EU.

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Scott: Wow - this project certainly is replete with very odd stuff!! ;)

I'm still not convinced that the fundamental problem here is a faulty MIB amplifier - but I could be wrong (again)!!

As I said, ALL modules in modern cars (and particularly those that use UDS/ODX protocols - like the modules in a mk7) have extensive self monitoring facilities. It seems very unlikely (to me) that bad soldering joints in the MIB would NOT be detected by these surveillance activities and therefore be reported in your SCAN

However, this is your project - so, of course I bow to your diagnostic decisions and I wish you luck (beware how you wield your soldering iron on the MIB motherboard - the components are surface mount)

My hunch about the reason why the tick-box for the 57- TV tuner module was not populated on the GIL is related to your VCDS cable (you will understand what I'm saying). As you have said - the hex57 module is listed in the module summary list on your SCAN, it's clearly participating in the CAN network discussions on this car and it reports as being active on your SCAN - so it MUST be authorized in the GIL!

If you want to pursue this matter, I'm happy to replicate the CAN network for this car here in the land down-under (where women glow and men chunder!!;)). I can do this by configuring your car's GIL on my "virtual mk7" (my MQB platform test-bench - see picture below).

However, for my simulation to be successful, I require that you post-up a copy of the number string in the Direct Coding box in the GIL screen (see my picture of the GIL screen in my previous post). For this purpose - highlight the complete number-string with your mouse and press Ctrl-C to copy it to the clipbord. Then use Ctrl-V to paste the string in a new post.

The Ross-Tech software works like this: The GUI for the GIL screen is populated from the number-string in the Direct Coding box. When the tick-boxes are altered, the number string changes - so when you press Write coding in step 4 of my instructions, what really happens is that the revised number-string in the Direct Coding box is written to the GIL.

Hence, at least on theory - with a copy of the number-string from your car, I should be able to generate the correct tick-boxes on my test-bench. If I then delete 57-TV tuner from my GIL, I should be able to produce a revised number-string that compensates for the deleted module - which you can enter into your version of VCDS. QED- I think!!

Don

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Scott: One more thing!!

I've managed to find an admap for your TV tuner on the Ross-Tech site ("admap"= adaptation channel map- it's a list of every adaptation channel in the module) - read THIS

Here are the channels that specifically relate to "DTCP":
Code:
Key for digital transmission protection (DTCP)-Key type    >    License key (DTLA)
Digital Transmission Content Protection (DTCP) device cert-Version number    >    2
Digital Transmission Content Protection (DTCP) device cert-Length    >    60
Digital Transmission Content Protection (DTCP) device cert-Certificate type    >    0
Invalid authentication (DTCP)    >    5F

I'm not familiar with these channels - however, it's perhaps not coincidental that the value for Invalid authentication (DTCP) is the same as the address for the MIB (i.e. 5F)!!

If this is not coincidental, it might explain why a violation of the DTCP certificates in the TV turner impacts the operation of the amplifier in the 5F module (i.e. the MIB).

Please don't be offended because none is intended, but I respectfully think that this is a more likely explanation than a bad- solder joint

Again, I have no idea about these channels - but perhaps try changing the value to 00 (I also have no idea if a security code will be needed for this change - if so, try 20103!!)

Don

Last edited:

SNDempsey

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Just as I thought I was moving onto to soldering, you've reeled me back in :D you should be given the title "Wizard of Aus". No offense taken at all, you're far more educated on these systems than I will ever be so I'm open to trying anything you say.

Sidenote - I forgot to mention what swayed me towards the amplifier ICs was the people who had intermittent audio issues had no codes presenting themselves either. But we will leave that till the last resort as my soldering skills are as useful as a waterproof teabag.

I have had audio working/not working randomly on multiple occasions today without the TV Tuner connected so you still thinking it could be DTCP ?

It's bed time here for me but tomorrow I'll plug TV tuner back in and get you all the information you need. Either way with the TV tuner disconnected I'll need to remove it from the GIL as it'll always throw an error in the scans.

Many many thanks for all the help and suggestions.

SNDempsey

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Another day another attempt :ROFLMAO:

Before I went about anything in depth this is what my tests resulted in.

TV Tuner unplugged - No audio at first, Audio sometimes came back after multiple restarts of the MIB.
TV Tuner plugged back in - Same as above
DTCP Error present - Same as above
DTCP Error cleared - Same as above

Its completely random how many attempts of restarting the MIB it takes, it might take 3 or 10+

I wasnt sure how to find the channel map thing for TV Tuner but i went digging and think i found it and heres what it showed

IDE00001-Production mode,not activated ,3
IDE02332-Deactivate production mode,0 ,3
IDE08118-Image frequency Slide-Show,20 s,1
IDE09093-Measurement: reception level,not activated ,1
ENG124511-ENG124527-Error_bit_mask-aerial_1_for_TV_open_circuit_or_short_circuit_to_B+,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124528-Error_bit_mask-aerial_1_for_TV_short_to_ground,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124530-Error_bit_mask-aerial_2_for_TV_open_circuit_or_short_circuit_to_B+,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124531-Error_bit_mask-aerial_2_for_TV_short_to_ground,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124533-Error_bit_mask-aerial_3_for_TV_open_circuit_or_short_circuit_to_B+,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124534-Error_bit_mask-aerial_3_for_TV_short_to_ground,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124541-Error_bit_mask-card_reader_no_signal_communication,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124540-Error_bit_mask-card_reader_short_to_ground,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG125918-Error_bit_mask-component_protection_active_0xEA6100(1),masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG125919-Error_bit_mask-component_protection_active_0xEA6200(2),masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG125920-Error_bit_mask-component_protection_active_0xEA6300(3),masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG125921-Error_bit_mask-component_protection_active_0xEA6400(4),masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124524-Error_bit_mask-component_protection_no_or_incorrect_basic_setting,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124529-Error_bit_mask-connection_between_impedance_converter_TV_1_and_window_antenna_open_circuit,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124532-Error_bit_mask-connection_between_impedance_converter_TV_2_and_window_antenna_open_circuit,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124535-Error_bit_mask-connection_between_impedance_converter_TV_3_and_window_antenna_open_circuit,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG127171-Error_bit_mask-control_unit_defect_channel_decoder_communication_error,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124521-Error_bit_mask-control_unit_defect_data_flash_error,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124543-Error_bit_mask-control_unit_defect_INIC_communication_error,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124544-Error_bit_mask-control_unit_defect_MPEG_communication_error,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG127172-Error_bit_mask-control_unit_defect_Nagra-IC_communication_error,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124520-Error_bit_mask-control_unit_defect_program_flash_error,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG142139-Error_bit_mask-control_unit_defect_RENESAS-MCU_communication_error,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124542-Error_bit_mask-control_unit_defect_VC_communication_error,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124519-Error_bit_mask-control_unit_incorrectly_coded,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124518-Error_bit_mask-control_unit_not_coded,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124526-Error_bit_mask-DTCP_device_certificate_authentication_error,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG129318-Error_bit_mask-DTCP_device_certificate_authentication_error_0x47,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG129319-Error_bit_mask-DTCP_device_certificate_authentication_error_0x5F,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG129320-Error_bit_mask-DTCP_device_certificate_authentication_error_0x7F,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124525-Error_bit_mask-DTCP_signature_authentication_error,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG129315-Error_bit_mask-DTCP_signature_authentication_error_0x47,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG129316-Error_bit_mask-DTCP_signature_authentication_error_0x5F,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG129317-Error_bit_mask-DTCP_signature_authentication_error_0x7F,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124522-Error_bit_mask-function_limitation_due_to_excessive_temperature,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124523-Error_bit_mask-function_restriction_due_to_low_temperature,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG125253-Error_bit_mask-internal_communication_interruption(MPEG),masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG125252-Error_bit_mask-internal_communication_interruption(V850),masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG108288-Error_bit_mask-production_mode_active,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124517-Error_bit_mask-supply_voltage_lower_limit_exceeded,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124516-Error_bit_mask-supply_voltage_upper_limit_exceeded,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124536-Error_bit_mask-video_line_for_end_device_open_load,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124537-Error_bit_mask-video_line_for_end_device_short_circuit_to_ground,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124538-Error_bit_mask-video_line_for_rear_seat_unit_open_load,masked_on ,6
ENG124511-ENG124539-Error_bit_mask-video_line_for_rear_seat_unit_short_circuit_to_ground,masked_on ,6
ENG124510-Video_audio_encryption,activated_dtla_key ,1

Also here is a copy of the GIL string

01543C1000000600408C90000000CC0000000000000000000000000000000000

While I had the audio working I was messing about and able to see live values of some things.

IDE05704-MAS02646 Key for digital transmission protection (DTCP)-Key type License key (DTLA)
IDE05705-MAS01159 Digital Transmission Content Protection (DTCP) device cert-Version number 0
IDE05705-MAS01779 Digital Transmission Content Protection (DTCP) device cert-Length 0
IDE05705-MAS06742 Digital Transmission Content Protection (DTCP) device cert-Certificate type 0
IDE06055 Invalid authentication (DTCP) 00
IDE06517-MAS01424 Temperature: audio amplifier-max.value 88 °C
IDE06517-MAS01425 Temperature: audio amplifier-min.value -19 °C
IDE06517-MAS02238 Temperature: audio amplifier-Up-to-date 59 °C

The same info when I had no audio at all.

IDE05704-MAS02646 Key for digital transmission protection (DTCP)-Key type License key (DTLA)
IDE05705-MAS01159 Digital Transmission Content Protection (DTCP) device cert-Version number 0
IDE05705-MAS01779 Digital Transmission Content Protection (DTCP) device cert-Length 0
IDE05705-MAS06742 Digital Transmission Content Protection (DTCP) device cert-Certificate type 0
IDE06055 Invalid authentication (DTCP) 00
IDE06517-MAS01424 Temperature: audio amplifier-max.value 88 °C
IDE06517-MAS01425 Temperature: audio amplifier-min.value -19 °C
IDE06517-MAS02238 Temperature: audio amplifier-Up-to-date 29 °C

The never ending rabbit hole continues.

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Scott: hmm........ some very weird stuff happening here!!

I ran your GIL string through my test-bench and it also reported no ticked-box for the TV turner module. Odd!!

Here's my observations:

Without TV tuner ticked - GIL string (same as in your reply)
01543C1000000600408C90000000CC0000000000000000000000000000000000
With TV tuner ticked - GIL string
01543C1000000600408C90000020CC0000000000000000000000000000000000

I'm flummoxed!!!
Don

SNDempsey

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
The plot thickens. :ROFLMAO:

It's been a rollercoaster of events.

If I end up replacing the unit I'll stick a stamp on it and send it to the land down under for you to have many sleepless nights about. :ROFLMAO:

Im going to take a breather from it for a few days and I'll tackle the HVAC motor flap thing for the right hand side of the car as it's stuck in cold position, but some buffoon rounded off both T20 torx screws.

I might just try resolder the 2 amplifier ICs next. I know you said its more than likely not that but I'm just trying everything now as nothing really to lose. I looked at switching to a MIB2 unit but some of the prices for used units here are 400+ and I can't fathom that. Plus the information is a minefield.

Spod

Car(s)
2014 1.4Tsi ACT
Scott: Yes - it would be good if you tried totally disconnecting the TV turner and clearing the errors before you hack the MIB. It's not difficult and it's a 2 x part process:
  1. The physical disconnect -which depends on whether you want to completely remove the module from the car (otherwise, unplug the E connector again as you did for my failed test)
  2. Coding changes to remove the module from the car's CAN network
The coding part relates to your previous observations "only related codes I had was TV tuner module not detected and an optical bus error". So the coding changes deal with each of these 2 x errors

For the "TV module not detected" error - you need to tell the Address 19: CAN Gateway module to no longer talk to the TV module. To do this, you need to remove the TV tuner from the Gateway Installation List (GIL) which is a register of each module in the car that is authorized to participate in CAN network discussions. The process goes like this:
  1. Start by clicking 19-CAN Gateway from the Select Control Module screen
  2. Click Installation List on the CAN Gateway module screen
  3. Scroll down the module entries on the GIL screen until you reach 57 - TV Tuner -> remove the tick from the box
  4. Select Write coding
  5. Software will exit GIL screen - go to next process
For the "optical bus error", you need to turn-off the MOST optical signal that starts in the MIB and is sent to the TV tuner via the 2 x fiber-optic cables on connector B in my previous picture. Turning-OFF the MOST facility is done by flipping the MOST software switch on the MIB's long-code., The relevant software switch for this purpose lives on Byte 19, Bit 5

The process for switching-OFF MOST goes like this:
  1. From the Select Control Module screen (1st screen above), select 5F-Information Electr
  2. Select Coding-07
  3. Select Long Coding Helper
  4. Navigate to Byte 19
  5. Remove the tick from the Bit 5 box -see below (tick-boxes are missing from my picture- but they should appear on your screen)
  6. Click "X" on the top Right-side of the screen below
  7. The New Coding Box on the Recode screen should be populated with the changed Long-code string
  8. Click on Do it! and follow prompts
  9. Exit VCDS software, remove cable from OBD port

That's it!!!

Don

FINALLY got my confirmation email working... Issues with gmail, hotmail etc so tried iCloud and we're in....
Jumping on the back of this as I also bought an imported Japanese car now in the UK.

I've swapped my MIB1 MHIG Discover Pro screen and head unit for a MST2 Delphi 8" screen and head unit (Discover media).
I ended up with a spare green Fakra cable which I assumed was the TV connector, I get error code "U10C000 - Control module for instrument panel insert on optical data bus No communication" from ObdEleven which I assume might be related, I didn't even know there was a tuner under the seat, Not looked yet but assume there is.

Don you wrote a beautiful explanation for VCDS but I have ObdEleven, how would I go about removing the scan for the TV Tuner so I can properly remove it from the system?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
FINALLY got my confirmation email working... Issues with gmail, hotmail etc so tried iCloud and we're in....
Jumping on the back of this as I also bought an imported Japanese car now in the UK.

I've swapped my MIB1 MHIG Discover Pro screen and head unit for a MST2 Delphi 8" screen and head unit (Discover media).
I ended up with a spare green Fakra cable which I assumed was the TV connector, I get error code "U10C000 - Control module for instrument panel insert on optical data bus No communication" from ObdEleven which I assume might be related, I didn't even know there was a tuner under the seat, Not looked yet but assume there is.

Don you wrote a beautiful explanation for VCDS but I have ObdEleven, how would I go about removing the scan for the TV Tuner so I can properly remove it from the system?
@Spod : Hi and welcome to the forum!

There are many, many problems with answers to diagnostic problems that are written on forums like this - but amongst the most common (IMO, of course) is the fact that the ONE model car can be factory built with seemingly countless different options. This problem is exacerbated exponentially in the case of the Golf mk7/mk7.5 because it is a world car - so care needs to be exercised when applying previous forum advice to another vehicle.

Such is the case for your car - I suspect!!!

On MQB platform cars - the TV module is part of VW's M.O.S.T. (Media Oriented Systems Transport) network. MOST is an optical fiber protocol that has a "ring" topology. If this car was factory built WITHOUT the TV Tuner - the ring-bus components would be like this:

Notice the MOST ring and I've also included J285 where the car has an AID dashboard module - which I assume from your words is installed on this car. I'm not sure if this car has an external amplifier - but I've included it in my diagram just in case! When a TV tuner is also installed - the module is added to the ring-bus.

My replies to the previous posts on this thread were for cars that did NOT have an AID Dashboard - so the arrangement of the MOST ring-bus was different

So, when rearranging the optical fiber cables on this car - it's important to NOT disconnect the MOST signal from J794 (which is the MIB) and from J285

I'm not quite sure what you are attempting - I don't understand your words "removing the scan for the TV Tuner so I can properly remove it from the system".

If you simply want to disconnect the TV tuner from this car - there are ostensibly 2 x communication networks that need to be re-adjusted: the MOST bus and the CAN bus.

MOST bus
Adjustment of the MOST bus is a physical exercise which involves plugging/unplugging leads. However, given that this car still needs to use the MOST bus to supply data to J285 - you can't just unplug the connector on the back of the TV tuner, or the new MIB because this breaks the ring topology and it disables the comms facility entirely!​

To re-establish the MOST ring-bus after you disconnect the connectors on the back of the TV Tuner (i.e. NOT on the back of the new MIB), you will need to buy and install the correct gender version of what's known as an "optical fiber by-pass loop" - see an example HERE. The loop re-establishes the MOST ring so that the MIB and the AID dashboard (and external amplifier if fitted) can continue to communicate with the missing TV Tuner.​
My hunch is that you will need a female Tyco (TE) connector/bypass loop cable - but I'm not sure about the gender. So eyeball the actual connector on the TV Tuner before ordering (I think that the ring-end of the optical fiber connectors is Male). And Goolge the item - there's lots of sellers (these loops are not expensive!)​
CAN bus
Adjustment of the CAN bus is a coding exercise. If you aren't aware, the central module on the CAN network is the Gateway module (it's called J533 in my diagram above). You can think of the Gateway module as the "Fat Controller" of Thomas-The-Tank-Engine fame because J533 directs which of the other modules can speak at any time.​
To increase the efficiency of communications on the CAN network, the Gateway module maintains a list of other modules that have been authorized to speak. This is done in what's called the Gateway Installation List (GIL). I introduced the GIL in my VCDS instructions - for a correctly coded GIL to operate successfully, ALL of the authorized modules in the GIL must exactly equate to ALL currently installed modules in the car and ONLY to these modules!​
If the Gateway module didn't use a GIL, it would need to poll 256 x different modules (this the maximum of a two-digit hexadecimal number) to operate the CAN bus - very inefficient!! The GIL limits this polling task to ONLY installed modules - very efficient!!​
So, after you disconnect the TV tuner's electrical plug, you do NOT need to physically re-establish the CAN bus (as per the MOST case) because modules are connected in parallel on a CAN network - meaning that when modules are disconnected, the CAN network is not broken. However, you will need re-establish the correct coding of the GIL by removing the TV Tuner from the list. To do this - follow my visual instructions below (I'm assuming that you use the iOS version of OBD11):​
  • On the last screen - scroll-down until you reach (57) TV Tuner and remove the tick from the green-circle
Hope it all makes sense - apology for the long reply but I believe that it's always important when describing how to do stuff to also understand why it's done!!
Don

Last edited:

Spod

Car(s)
2014 1.4Tsi ACT
@Spod : Hi and welcome to the forum!

There are many, many problems with answers to diagnostic problems that are written on forums like this - but amongst the most common (IMO, of course) is the fact that the ONE model car can be factory built with seemingly countless different options. This problem is exacerbated exponentially in the case of the Golf mk7/mk7.5 because it is a world car - so care needs to be exercised when applying previous forum advice to another vehicle.

Such is the case for your car - I suspect!!!

On MQB platform cars - the TV module is part of VW's M.O.S.T. (Media Oriented Systems Transport) network. MOST is an optical fiber protocol that has a "ring" topology. If this car was factory built WITHOUT the TV Tuner - the ring-bus components would be like this:

Notice the MOST ring and I've also included J285 where the car has an AID dashboard module - which I assume from your words is installed on this car. I'm not sure if this car has an external amplifier - but I've included it in my diagram just in case! When a TV tuner is also installed - the module is added to the ring-bus.

My replies to the previous posts on this thread were for cars that did NOT have an AID Dashboard - so the arrangement of the MOST ring-bus was different

So, when rearranging the optical fiber cables on this car - it's important to NOT disconnect the MOST signal from J794 (which is the MIB) and from J285

I'm not quite sure what you are attempting - I don't understand your words "removing the scan for the TV Tuner so I can properly remove it from the system".

If you simply want to disconnect the TV tuner from this car - there are ostensibly 2 x communication networks that need to be re-adjusted: the MOST bus and the CAN bus.

MOST bus
Adjustment of the MOST bus is a physical exercise which involves plugging/unplugging leads. However, given that this car still needs to use the MOST bus to supply data to J285 - you can't just unplug the connector on the back of the TV tuner, or the new MIB because this breaks the ring topology and it disables the comms facility entirely!​

To re-establish the MOST ring-bus after you disconnect the connectors on the back of the TV Tuner (i.e. NOT on the back of the new MIB), you will need to buy and install the correct gender version of what's known as an "optical fiber by-pass loop" - see an example HERE. The loop re-establishes the MOST ring so that the MIB and the AID dashboard (and external amplifier if fitted) can continue to communicate with the missing TV Tuner.​
My hunch is that you will need a female Tyco (TE) connector/bypass loop cable - but I'm not sure about the gender. So eyeball the actual connector on the TV Tuner before ordering (I think that the ring-end of the optical fiber connectors is Male). And Goolge the item - there's lots of sellers (these loops are not expensive!)​
CAN bus
Adjustment of the CAN bus is a coding exercise. If you aren't aware, the central module on the CAN network is the Gateway module (it's called J533 in my diagram above). You can think of the Gateway module as the "Fat Controller" of Thomas-The-Tank-Engine fame because J533 directs which of the other modules can speak at any time.​
To increase the efficiency of communications on the CAN network, the Gateway module maintains a list of other modules that have been authorized to speak. This is done in what's called the Gateway Installation List (GIL). I introduced the GIL in my VCDS instructions - for a correctly coded GIL to operate successfully, ALL of the authorized modules in the GIL must exactly equate to ALL currently installed modules in the car and ONLY to these modules!​
If the Gateway module didn't use a GIL, it would need to poll 256 x different modules (this the maximum of a two-digit hexadecimal number) to operate the CAN bus - very inefficient!! The GIL limits this polling task to ONLY installed modules - very efficient!!​
So, after you disconnect the TV tuner's electrical plug, you do NOT need to physically re-establish the CAN bus (as per the MOST case) because modules are connected in parallel on a CAN network - meaning that when modules are disconnected, the CAN network is not broken. However, you will need re-establish the correct coding of the GIL by removing the TV Tuner from the list. To do this - follow my visual instructions below (I'm assuming that you use the iOS version of OBD11):​
  • On the last screen - scroll-down until you reach (57) TV Tuner and remove the tick from the green-circle
Hope it all makes sense - apology for the long reply but I believe that it's always important when describing how to do stuff to also understand why it's done!!
Don
No, Thank you for the long reply it's much appreciated 😁
Not knowing the full lingo, AID is the funky full width LCD instrument cluster display on later cars that you can put satnav on?
The MIB2 and head unit I bought came from a car fitted with this, I could see it in the corner of the photo from the 'breakers' selling it.
I don't have this and have the traditional analogue rev counter, info display in the middle (which seems to work for the most part) and speedo on the right.

Where would the Fibre optic physically go in the system and I'll have a look, the one linked doesn't match the spare green Fakra at the head unit but I haven't looked under the front seats yet (Didn't know there was stuff there to be honest).

I'll have a go at the TV tuner removal in OBDEleven, my car is 2014 model so not sure MOST was fitted that far back?
I'll try sort out the above, another error code (B201A) I have but need to fix with the xory code and will do a full rescan.

Spod

Car(s)
2014 1.4Tsi ACT
Re looking at my photo of the back of the new unit along with the optical loop thing I now realise it's the rectangular black box.
Yes I had one of these and from my old unit with from memory orange cables (out of shot on the right). I plugged this in so the 'loop' should be complete so to speak, having not touched if it exists the TV tuner under the seat.

I have no reverse camera but when I enter reverse the screen doesn't flip to a rear view with no picture it just doesn't flip to rear view mode.
Haven't tested if the VW badge flips on entering reverse yet though.