GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Understanding the MK7 PCV function, retrofitting the MK8 PCV, and why catch cans are bullshit(IMO)

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Honestly I'd go with the ECS turbo muffler delete route and not bust into the EQT charge pipe. After doing mine that way I'm having second thoughts and might replace my EQT charge pipe I ruined and install the tap into the turbo muffler delete.

Tricky with the EQT TMD - I was originally planning to do that but it's really built to maximize ID, leaving really thin walls, making tapping challenging.

I'm pretty happy with my install so far, though I added the adapter on the other side of the hose to you - near the TMD side. Yet to put it through its paces on track...

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
Honestly I'd go with the ECS turbo muffler delete route and not bust into the EQT charge pipe. After doing mine that way I'm having second thoughts and might replace my EQT charge pipe I ruined and install the tap into the turbo muffler delete.
Do you mean the 034 TMD with the ports? I have been debating just doing that.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
The EQT hose is larger than stock, therefore only the supplied EQT TMD will work with it. Hence all the drama with bungs and hoses, 034 is not an option for us unless we want to go back to stock charge pipe diameter.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
The EQT hose is larger than stock, therefore only the supplied EQT TMD will work with it. Hence all the drama with bungs and hoses, 034 is not an option for us unless we want to go back to stock charge pipe diameter.
Oh, I didn't know this, guess I'll stick with it then.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
do we have a semi-official parts list yet? I'm 5 searches deep in here still trying to figure out what I need to order :ROFLMAO:

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Time to answer the questions everyone really wants to know...

Attachments

• IMG_7681.jpeg
    IMG_7681.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 69

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
You can still use aftermarket charge pipes with the 034 TMD, the silicone coupler between the TMD and charge pipe would be all that is a smaller diameter, and only on the end that connects to the TMD.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
You can still use aftermarket charge pipes with the 034 TMD, the silicone coupler between the TMD and charge pipe would be all that is a smaller diameter, and only on the end that connects to the TMD.

My understanding is EQT has a different design to most other aftermarket charge pipes. Half of what would typically be a hard pipe is instead a silicone hose, this also serves as the “coupler”.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
My understanding is EQT has a different design to most other aftermarket charge pipes. Half of what would typically be a hard pipe is instead a silicone hose, this also serves as the “coupler”.
Of the few charge pipes I have had my hands on (ECS, Revo, aFe, DBV2, Neuspeed) they all consisted of a coupler and charge pipe combination of different designs. That would be consistent for EQT to similarly be a unique combination.

aFe offers two silicone hose variants with their charge pipes, one works with their larger TMD and the other with the stock turbo muffler. They also have an NPT/WMI port in the hot side charge pipe that you could use to siphon off air from into the venturi.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Ok, new question, if I'm having an intake built, do I want the pcv suction located closer to or further from the compressor inlet

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Ok, new question, if I'm having an intake built, do I want the pcv suction located closer to or further from the compressor inlet

Depends on if you're running the with or without Venturi, or a plate, etc. With a plate system or the Venturi, closer to the airbox is likely better. But without having a way to measure things it's still a blind guess in the dark if it'll be enough for the plate.

Venturi is like a honey badger. It don't give a fuck about nothin. So realistically anywhere will "work"... but relying more heavily on the Venturi and having less natural vacuum from the TIP would likely be best closer to the airbox.

Last edited:

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
The amount of vacuum is partially a product of the pressure losses occurring before the point of measurement, so it would increase further along the path inside the intake as it approaches the compressor.