GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Understanding the MK7 PCV function, retrofitting the MK8 PCV, and why catch cans are bullshit(IMO)

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Urotuning email showing the parts as a kit already.. 👀

Yep. I figured it would be a matter of time. They at least show part numbers so anybody with self motivation will search those and see they're getting bent over.

Their OEM parts catalog guy at least reached out to me asking about referencing my video(s) which I said is fine, just include a link to the website to go with it.

Those that have had luck with cc used BMS's can, which has a small can and short hoses.

Yep. I'll be testing the effects of inline cans very soon. And added hose.

Holy crap - https://www.urotuning.com/products/...en3-mk7s-evopcv4mk7-kt?variant=47702976004289

EDIT: I encourage all to purchase separately, unless you enjoy getting ripped off :)

Damn @DerHase someone's reading your blog.

Kinda annoying to see companies profiting from one man's hard work.... but OK....

Yeah, see above. I have zero desire to re to VW enthusiasts because I just don't want to be a part of the race to the bottom.

I just want people to understand THE AFTERMARKET MAKES SHIT PARTS AND DOES NO REAL R&D.

It took some dumbass former-mechanic with no degree to connect the dots. In 6 months. Platform has been out almost 10 years.

yep

06K-103-210-D PCV Valve Hose $128.41
06Q-103-495-B Engine Crankcase Vent Valve $59.90
06M-906-094 Bungs $3.15
Subtotal: $191.46
Estimated Shipping to Diggs24 via Standard Shipping: $11.93
Total: $203.39

Yep that's about what I paid.

To Urotuning's credit: they at least reached out to me before referencing my work. This has been up for a little while now, and WAS originally listed at $400, but the price is at least more reasonable now.

https://track-hack.com/products/mk8-pcv-retrofit-kit?_pos=4&_sid=28a076850&_ss=r

I'll eventually finish an all-in-one document like I had originally made covering ALL testing done, recommendations, etc... But that shit takes time. A re-do of the original video is probably also in order. Maybe.

I got some microphones so the audio quality is less shitty for this last one. Is it noticeably better to you guys? I think volume levels were a bit off in a couple parts, but otherwise sounded better.

Torrid

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
A couple vendors did the same with the Macan brakes setup.
They should give @DerHase a kicker for his research. When I do need a PCV replacement I might as well go for the upgrade and the kit really takes the guesswork out of it.

yep

06K-103-210-D PCV Valve Hose $128.41
06Q-103-495-B Engine Crankcase Vent Valve $59.90
06M-906-094 Bungs $3.15
Subtotal: $191.46
Estimated Shipping to Diggs24 via Standard Shipping: $11.93
Total: $203.39
Nevermind with these numbers.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Watched while pooping on United flight back from 🇧🇷. Very nice (Borat voice).

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Can someone please ELI5? I'm sorry I've watched the videos but I'm not an very technical person. I currently have the IE open CAI and the IE Turbo inlet pipe. Does this data suggest the TIP is putting additional stress on my crankcase? If so what are the potential risks? Would switching back to the stock TIP be beneficial?

Can someone give this to me layman's terms?

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Can someone please ELI5? I'm sorry I've watched the videos but I'm not an very technical person. I currently have the IE open CAI and the IE Turbo inlet pipe. Does this data suggest the TIP is putting additional stress on my crankcase? If so what are the potential risks? Would switching back to the stock TIP be beneficial?

Can someone give this to me layman's terms?

If you're not tracking or autocrossing the car, and you're not experiencing any issues (oil consumption, smoking, oil leaks) there's likely no need to worry.

Based on very limited data, if your TIP is smooth all the way through it's probably not so bad. If it has a giant lip after the PCV connection as it enters the compressor housing, it's probably seeing a bit more positive crankcase pressure at times.

But again, people have been bolting on this garbage blindly for nearly 10 years without widespread problems on the street. It's track use and autocross that has been more frequently problematic.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Wayminut

20240224_142943.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
did you use sealing tape?
Not installed yet...just mocked up. Will seal with tape is the plan. Also have high temp thread seal goop.

Edit. Will use the sealer vs. tape to be different :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
If you're not tracking or autocrossing the car, and you're not experiencing any issues (oil consumption, smoking, oil leaks) there's likely no need to worry.

Based on very limited data, if your TIP is smooth all the way through it's probably not so bad. If it has a giant lip after the PCV connection as it enters the compressor housing, it's probably seeing a bit more positive crankcase pressure at times.

But again, people have been bolting on this garbage blindly for nearly 10 years without widespread problems on the street. It's track use and autocross that has been more frequently problematic.
I do track the car (with you before) but I don't experience smoking or or excessive oil consumption.

Edit* - Brocoli