GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Garages of golfmk7.com: picture thread

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I've already briefed the wife quickjack is the next "car" purchase I'll be using my VA benefits for ......gotta save up a few months.....this summer hopefully. Would purchasing used be an option? seen a few on FB marketplace pop up for a couple hundred cheaper than new.

Also.....might get the mid-level version to use on my Tiguan too

Cemetery

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
e36m/e46m/mk7r
+1 for quick jacks. I have two sets, one in the trailer for races and one around the garage. Yeah they are a bit tough to position but so its still better that doing the song and dance of getting a car level on jack stands.

You will never use jack stands again.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
+1 for quick jacks. I have two sets, one in the trailer for races and one around the garage. Yeah they are a bit tough to position but so its still better that doing the song and dance of getting a car level on jack stands.

You will never use jack stands again.
what do ya'll do when finished using them? just move over to side of wall or "hang" on wall?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I wouldn’t recommend buying used, or disconnecting the lines more frequently than necessary (ideally leave them hooked up).

The design flaw with QuickJack is there’s no pressure relief valve on the pump to bleed off line pressure before you disconnect them…this will eventually blow the seals on the QD’s and if you’re unlucky enough not only make a mess, but could potentially leave you with lift asymmetry (one line blown, one lift line still pressurized).

They replaced the QD fittings on mine a few times under warranty, and I sold it as soon as it was out of warranty (shop was built and new two post went up).

IIRC five years ago the QD were $80-90 each so you definitely wouldn’t want to “save” on a used one that’ll possibly need them.

I’m sure lots of guys who use them less don’t have these issues, but it’ll save a lot of headaches if you avoid them by leaving it hooked up.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I wouldn’t recommend buying used, or disconnecting the lines more frequently than necessary (ideally leave them hooked up).

The design flaw with QuickJack is there’s no pressure relief valve on the pump to bleed off line pressure before you disconnect them…this will eventually blow the seals on the QD’s and if you’re unlucky enough not only make a mess, but could potentially leave you with lift asymmetry (one line blown, one lift line still pressurized).

They replaced the QD fittings on mine a few times under warranty, and I sold it as soon as it was out of warranty (shop was built and new two post went up).

IIRC five years ago the QD were $80-90 each so you definitely wouldn’t want to “save” on a used one that’ll possibly need them.

I’m sure lots of guys who use them less don’t have these issues, but it’ll save a lot of headaches if you avoid them by leaving it hooked up.
so no used....totally makes sense.

Also don't disconnect the lines if you don't have to....which would be really hard to do; keeping them connected......as that's the selling point right? Being able to disconnect and store.

Interesting.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yeah, unless you were getting a pretty solid deal of about 50% less than their 'on sale' price, used probably isn't worth it to save a couple hundred bucks.

As far as models, definitely go with the 5000 at least. Should be fine for most mid sized SUVs like the Tiguan.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
If you’ve got the bread but don’t have the height, maxjax are a great option. Mine have not had a break since I bought them and they have been working mint.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
so no used....totally makes sense.

Also don't disconnect the lines if you don't have to....which would be really hard to do; keeping them connected......as that's the selling point right? Being able to disconnect and store.

Interesting.

You can still move them all around connected, just depends on where/how you want to store them if that’s an issue.

I always slid them off to the right of my garage or across the front (after discovering the issues).

Before that I had a big plastic tote I stored the pump and lines in.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I think when my shop is built I am just going to plan where budget includes at least an entry-level 2 post lift. It would also open a lot of doors for me and allow me to work on the GTI and others when I want, without killing my back rolling around on the floor under a car.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I think when my shop is built I am just going to plan where budget includes at least an entry-level 2 post lift. It would also open a lot of doors for me and allow me to work on the GTI and others when I want, without killing my back rolling around on the floor under a car.

My brother in law is having a 2-post installed and they are actually finishing up today.
If you have any specific questions, let me know.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
My brother in law is having a 2-post installed and they are actually finishing up today.
If you have any specific questions, let me know.
More so dealing with shop dimensions and layout, but I assume the lift needs a 220V provision/outlet? Shop size my buddy who is a dealer, quoted me $13k for a 24x50x12. I am trying to figure out what kind of lift works with that, or if I need taller?

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
He's just using 110 if I'm not mistaken as he did have an outlet added, and I believe he just tapped in to existing 110.
And in my research of 4 post lifts, a lot of them run 110 just fine, but will just operate a bit slower from my understanding.
Someone please correct me if that is not true, because I'm learning as well lol.
His ceilings are 10' give or take. He actually had to cut holes to accommodate the install, but they will be patched back up.
If you are building the shop, I'd get the 220 installed at the same time. I'm not putting a lift in my garage build right away, but I'm still getting the 220 installed so it is there when I need it.
Those dimensions sound good to me. I think you should be just fine. Go taller if you can, it wont hurt. But 12' should be just fine.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Bendpak is what I was looking at. Some shop build details:

2 rollup doors on the long side, one big roll up at the "front." The one nearest the end will be a wash bay of sorts with a drain in the center. I plan to have it walled off on the inside so that it is isolated from the rest of the interior from water spray, etc. The second roll up I am debating on putting the lift right there in that section, or just keeping it as shop entry/access for regular cars and putting the lift on the adjacent wall. The big roll up door will be truck and tractor friendly and general access. In one corner will be welding/fab/ and general work area. Another corner will be where the GTI lives when not being used, complete with a lounge area, TV on the wall, and fridge. The opposite corner will be at least one 4 post for car storage, but I really want two of them, so I can have storage for four car with only taking the floor space of two. Tryin to decide on window size as I want good outward visibility and trying to figure out a lighting solution. I guess I'll worry about that more when it gets closer to build time.