GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Garages of golfmk7.com: picture thread

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Pretty sure they include a physical lock already, in case the hydraulics fail.

The hydraulics are just for lifting. There's only two heights, which are set by a lock bar. You're supposed to release the hydraulic pressure once it's lifted and "set". You should never be using the hydraulic pressure to actually hold the car up.

@JerseyDrew77 and @Acadia18 do you guys use jack stands or anything as backup? Or trust it enough you don't feel it's necessary?

No backup. While it's true redundancies never hurt, I trust it more than 4 jack stands I used before.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
The hydraulics are just for lifting. There's only two heights, which are set by a lock bar. You're supposed to release the hydraulic pressure once it's lifted and "set". You should never be using the hydraulic pressure to actually hold the car up.

No backup. While it's true redundancies never hurt, I trust it more than 4 jack stands I used before.
I still have jackstands that are old enough to not have the now-required locking pins... There's a reason I don't get under the car anymore and I take it to my mechanic more frequently.

QJ are nice. Definitely worth the hassle.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT

Thanks!!

I'm not getting any younger, and crawling around on my hands and knees and scooting under a car isn't as fun as it was 20+ years ago. Plus, my VW and wife's A6 both kind of suck to get up on 4 jacks stands since they lack center jack points. Looking at the 5000 as I think it would be plenty for our cars.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I still have jackstands that are old enough to not have the now-required locking pins... There's a reason I don't get under the car anymore and I take it to my mechanic more frequently.

QJ are nice. Definitely worth the hassle.

Ditto. Both sets of my jack stands don't have locking pins. Didn't even know that was a requirement these days 🤣

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Anybody have a QuickJack?

I'd like to do a traditional lift, but with my L shaped 2+1 car garage, it would be tough. The one car bay is almost too small, and the 2 car bay......well, my wife has a hard enough time fitting her car into the middle of that 🤣 If i went with one or the other side, she wouldn't be able to get her car in, and that wouldn't fly. If I put it in the middle, I'd lose the ability to put a 3rd car in there some day.
I have one and use it weekly when I’m home. Safety and ease of use was big for me. I wouldn’t let my son under the car if it was in jack stands. They’re great.
IMG_3073.jpeg

Last edited:

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Anyone ever consider a scissor lift? I was considering the QJ but I've read about issues some people have had with them falling over. I don't understand if that was user error or the QJ itself.

https://www.autokato.com/X85-Scissors-Lift-p.html
My father in law has something similar to this. I'm not sure of the brand but he's had it for about 5 years and it has never given us any trouble when using it.
The only issue is that low cars don't clear it. So he made a little approach with some wood to fix that as you can see here in the pic of it and the 914 I owned for about a month before realizing it was a huge turd lol.

1.jpg

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Scissor lifts I don't get, never used one or seen one in person but doesn't it pretty much block all access under the car?
Depending on the style, but yeah. I gather they're mostly for wheel swaps, suspension work and maybe just getting the car at a more ergonomic height to do topside work

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Anyone ever consider a scissor lift? I was considering the QJ but I've read about issues some people have had with them falling over. I don't understand if that was user error or the QJ itself.

https://www.autokato.com/X85-Scissors-Lift-p.html

I looked at them and just don't see what those offer that QJ doesn't. And like Jay said, they block a lot of access. One of the pro's of the QJ would be using a creeper to get around.

So far, every instance of the QJ falling over that I've found was user error and not confirming both sides locked. Yes, there are reports of fittings leaking but if you're watching what you're doing, you would hopefully notice that before jacking up the car.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Father in law owns a couple of 911's, so with everything being in the rear, it works in those cases lol.
But yeah brakes, wheels suspension its good. I even used it for some interior work, just to make it easier being at a certain height.