GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printer & C.A.D. Thread

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
1710169219549.png
1710169229625.png

Got a 3D scanner. No specific plans in mind right now, but wanted to put it out to the group for ideas, or if anyone needs a scan of something let me know and I may be able to get it.

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Oh man....! You're gonna be dangerous now! LOL!

Which one did you get if you don't mind me asking?

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
Creality Scan Ferret Pro. Reviews said the software sucked (it kinda does, but for my purposes I think it is fine) and it loses lock often (not something that has been too bad so far).

I got it because the price was right (was a code for $85 off) and options to use phone or computer is cool.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
View attachment 300679View attachment 300680
Got a 3D scanner. No specific plans in mind right now, but wanted to put it out to the group for ideas, or if anyone needs a scan of something let me know and I may be able to get it.
would you be willing to pull your intake and scan the entire airbox and intake tube path to the turbo? To clarify, I'd like a scan of the area that the air intake is routed through, as well as the space taken up by the airbox, to include those 3 mounting studs.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Creality Scan Ferret Pro. Reviews said the software sucked (it kinda does, but for my purposes I think it is fine) and it loses lock often (not something that has been too bad so far).

I got it because the price was right (was a code for $85 off) and options to use phone or computer is cool.
Let us know how you like it.

Have you tried scanning something and then measuring it with calipers to see how accurate the scanner is?

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
would you be willing to pull your intake and scan the entire airbox and intake tube path to the turbo? To clarify, I'd like a scan of the area that the air intake is routed through, as well as the space taken up by the airbox, to include those 3 mounting studs.
Yeah, I actually need to scan that area myself

Let us know how you like it.

Have you tried scanning something and then measuring it with calipers to see how accurate the scanner is?
I haven't done any direct verification like that, but I used it to update the mount hole locations for my foglight intake and the new one worked perfectly.

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
would you be willing to pull your intake and scan the entire airbox and intake tube path to the turbo? To clarify, I'd like a scan of the area that the air intake is routed through, as well as the space taken up by the airbox, to include those 3 mounting studs

After I got done scanning I realized I left the silicone coupler on my TIP, but you can see the TIP diameter down in it.

Not the best scan, but the best I could do with the lighting in my garage. If need be I can try to improve it later out in the sun light. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DMOKI4XDO5zfTNk24xZeYhXD8eAgAmDB/view?usp=sharing

DSC808

Autocross Champion
I bought the Crrality scanner in Dec and could not get a clean scan of a water bottle. To be fair I have a POS desktop, so probably not enough RAM/processing power.
I think a solid 4" intake tube with a velocity stack at the filter and tapers to the TIP would improve airflow over the conventional silicone intake hoses.

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
Playing around designing a bumper flare (like the SRS-TEC one, but with diveplanes). It may have some effect, but mostly just for looks. Messing with CFD shows it probably does what I think, probably needs a channel to let some air flow out of the flare, but mostly just makes pretty flow lines to look at.

Here's the graphic a company would use to sell this to you:
1710429891707.png

And here's the graphic they wouldn't show you:
1710429868141.png

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Awesome. I'd love to do some stuff like that just don't have the time.

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
Need to figure out a better way to join the top and bottom halves (the seam with a little masking tape). Either going to make a jig to hold them during glue up, or adding a third element (possibly inside the flare) to add some thickness at the interface of that seam.

But all that being said, I think it is gonna look good once printed in good material. Probably going to print in PETG-CF for now (like my spoiler) and maybe reprint some day and skin in CF if I ever take that dive.

PXL_20240321_124035244.jpg
PXL_20240321_124020895.jpg
PXL_20240321_124024221.jpg
PXL_20240321_124029259.jpg