GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Pineapple

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI S
Nope, fuck bikers.

You're not a car, you don't get a full lane of traffic, move the fuck over.
Disagree, in the city they have the right to take the lane. Surely you'd be upset if someone endangered your safety for their personal convenience? We're all entitled to get where we're going safely.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Disagree, in the city they have the right to take the lane. Surely you'd be upset if someone endangered your safety for their personal convenience? We're all entitled to get where we're going safely.
I've live my whole life in cities, I know the drill. I've also ridden my own bike around said cities.

Here's the thing. When I'm in a car I am sitting in a 2,000lb metal and glass cage, the biker is sitting on a metal tube with two wheels. The car can legally do 30mph around the city, the biker can get to 20mph if they work at getting there. Any reasonable person can see the two things are not the same. If you're on a bike you need to stay within the bike lane if there is one, or off to the right side of the lane and let cars pass you when there is a safe chance to do so. When you're in a car you need to give a reasonable amount of room to a biker, but a reasonable amount is not an entire lane of traffic, especially if you can safely pass if they stay off to the right hand side.

Also wtf is it with groups of bikers all needing to ride next to each other? You don't need to ride 3 wide and block traffic if you can ride 3 in a row and let traffic pass. It's selfish and I don't want to stare at a flat spandexed ass doing 10mph under the limit. Either move over or get a juicier ass.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
My wife got clipped while in the bike lane back when we lived in West Hollywood, in the middle of the day. Driver did not stop. Fortunately just some scrapes for her.

But it scared her enough that we stopped riding out bikes for years, and that's with bike lanes where we lived at the time. Sadly there's no way we would ride our bikes where we live now where the bike lanes start and stop because some drivers are inconsiderate and don't care about the safety of others on the road. We've got a kid now and it's just too risky.

Outside of those biking in groups I almost universally see bikers staying to the right side when it's only 1 or 2 people riding together. I still get into the other lane to pass them.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Bikers need to go on the sidewalk.

I took a fucking rock. And I have this rain sensing windshield. This is going to be expensive .
1000000971.jpg

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI

I took a fucking rock. And I have this rain sensing windshield. This is going to be expensive . View attachment 301574
Check around for small companies, Safelite wanted $800 out of pocket with no insurance, I found a place with great reviews that only charged $350. If you had ACC I wouldn't recommend a small shop, but the rain sensor is an easy replacement and don't require calibration as far as I know.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Insurance? I've had two replaced, no deductible, and they covered my tint, too. ~$1300 each time. All I can say, is stick with OEM glass, and/or don't even consider safelite.
OEM glass is crap, every time I had a hit on the glass it turned into a crack. I already have quite a few hits on the replacement glass and so far only one very small chip. Dealership overcharges for glass replacement. Also, every time you replace the windshield on the insurance is one hit against you, I thought it didn't count but after my wife replaced the windshield on her SQ5 twice with the insurance (USAA) we got an email that we were going to have to go to underwriting again upon renewal. This is why I replaced the GTI's out of pocket.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Check around for small companies, Safelite wanted $800 out of pocket with no insurance, I found a place with great reviews that only charged $350. If you had ACC I wouldn't recommend a small shop, but the rain sensor is an easy replacement and don't require calibration as far as I know.
I have acc

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Bro you didn't take a rock, you took a goddamn boulder.

Be careful with small shops, and ask what kind of glass they use. Unfortunately, I don't know what the right answer to that is. But when I had the windshield replaced in my last R, they used shitty quality glass. The top edge was like.... jagged and not smooth.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL

I took a fucking rock. And I have this rain sensing windshield. This is going to be expensive .
As a former city dwelling pedestrian, nothing pissed me off more than a bike riding on a sidewalk. That is also dangerous. As a former city dwelling bike commuter, bikers who flaunted the road rules pissed me off even more. Either way, if everyone just had a little more awareness and respect about their actions, we'd all be a little safer.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
As a former city dwelling pedestrian, nothing pissed me off more than a bike riding on a sidewalk. That is also dangerous. As a former city dwelling bike commuter, bikers who flaunted the road rules pissed me off even more. Either way, if everyone just had a little more awareness and respect about their actions, we'd all be a little safer.
Agreed. California (outside of local laws in some counties) does not specifically prohibit riding your bike on the sidewalk. In the "suburbs" of LA that's easy enough and the sidewalks are typically open. Impossible to safely (for the rider or pedestrians) ride a bike on the sidewalk if you're downtown or anywhere with decent foot traffic.

I will say that out here there are sidewalks practically everywhere which is nice. That is not the case in several cities where I've lived so if you were on a bike you were in a driving lane out of necessity.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Installed a curt hit today on the MK7. Wiring was kinda tricky but my mechanic was able to get it done. Getting power from the 12V outlet in the rear hatch.

Will tow maybe two 125cc pit bikes with a 5x8 trailer from uhaul 150miles up north. Each bike is weighing less than 300Ibs.
4CC8D045-A38E-4D30-BA2E-57C816B8280D.jpg

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Bro you didn't take a rock, you took a goddamn boulder.

Be careful with small shops, and ask what kind of glass they use. Unfortunately, I don't know what the right answer to that is. But when I had the windshield replaced in my last R, they used shitty quality glass. The top edge was like.... jagged and not smooth.
Dude, I saw the thing coming at me and it felt like it was gonna hit me in the face. I covered myself with my hands when it hit.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I hear you; I just think that the risk is a lot smaller with having the bikes on sidewalks over the roads.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I hear you; I just think that the risk is a lot smaller with having the bikes on sidewalks over the roads.
I think this is true, but only because some drivers don't feel they should have to share the road, which I disagree with even in the absence of laws that may state otherwise. If a driver (of anything) isn't paying attention they are a risk to everyone, always. But I see drivers that (I assume) are paying attention decide to get over just enough to go around a biker (that is doing the right thing, riding to the right of the right lane) even when the left lane is clear. That sucks.

As a (former, very) occasional biker I'm paying attention to everything, as I should be. So yes I could ride on the sidewalk (out here in the suburbs) and do whatever is needed to let pedestrians have the right of way when I encounter them. In practice that could just be stopping/moving over or it could mean temporarily going out into the road if someone is walking dogs or walking a kid in stroller. But riding in the lane, where allowed to ride (and some counties where one must ride) doesn't have to be as big a risk as it often is.

Personally I don't ride my bike because I'm not trying to be a victim of someone feeling they shouldn't have to share the road. I drive a TDI and have a 1.8 mile commute. It would be perfect for riding my bike except that about 1 mile of that (unless I want to go a longer route, about 4.5 miles) has no sidewalk.