GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'00 RS2.5 VS '93 Celica All Trac

CodexVelerian

Ready to race!
I have always had a fasination with these two cars.. something about AWD and 4 cylinder turbo engines on lighter bodies. I have been contemplating on buying one of these two vehicles for awhile now but i cant seem to make up my mind.

Both these cars have a diffrent type of beauty to them that i hold dear in my heart. The Subaru is more a aggressive slap in the face with the rugged body and rally set fog lights and large rear spoiler and front hood scoop for the top mounted intercooler. The Toyota has that smooth elegant body with pop up head lights.

Under the hood they both sport a 4 cylinder engine. The Subaru holds a 2.5 liter naturally aspirated flat 4 rated at about 165hp/166trq while the Toyota has a transverse 2.0 turbo good for about 200hp/ 145 trq. Both cars came stock AWD.

The Subaru can be found in a 4 door lay out which could be nice for other passengers where the Toyota is straight up 2+2 coupe. Weighing in at 2800 lbs curb weight the subaru is much lighter then the Toyota at 3200lbs.

The 3SGTE engine the Toyota is powered by can easily be tuned to upwards of 400 hp while the stock 2.5 in the subaru is much harder to get good power out. Being N/A turboing the engine is often difficult and very risky. however engine swaps with WRX or STI powertrains are very popular and relitivly easy.

The main objective for me isnt power though. It is a nice clean car for week end driving. I would like to return either car to "factory fresh" and then work to more power from there with a goal of around 300 hp for either vehicle.

Please let me know your take on this. Make recomendations or suggest something else if possible. I currently drive a 2012 k04 GTI for daily and would like to keep it at that.

DummyBear

Ready to race!
i myself, have been looking into rs2.5 that is in good condition and decent price. i am not sure about the celica, but if i were to get the suba, i would def go for exterior mods (JDM looks and wheels) than trying to add performance mods to it.

CodexVelerian

Ready to race!
I rather like the stock look of the RS myself.. not to big on adding to much to the exterior other then wheels and tint. Both cars can be found for about the same prices at about the same conditions.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
I would take the Celica Alltrac, the car is hard to find, totally unknown as AWD and because it was the last coupe rally breed from Toyota here in America. Very 80’s, pop out lights and cool design-Think about a JDM AWD Corrado somehow ;) The quest is to find one in pretty good neat. As for the Subby it could be as effective as the Alltrac and less compromised but with the swap, to make it a real rally car & less boring shoe econo box.

CodexVelerian

Ready to race!
The problem with the Celica is the fact that it is a rare car and hard to find one close to stock in relitively good condition with very little rust ( it is older after all) I have found quite a few RS in my price range in decent condition however they tend to be farther away ( of course)

CodexVelerian

Ready to race!
The Celica has more power out of the box then the RS2.5. Also i dont think i would risk a turbo on the stock block of the RS2.5 Think i would want to do a swap. Where the celica doesnt need a swap just bolt ons fueling and a slightly bigger turbo and tune.

Choices suck lol

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
Those alltracs made for some sick sleepers.

I've seen a few unmolested left in the NJ/PA area BTW.

HardCandy

Go Kart Champion
I have always liked the all track celica and the 1st gen Egale talon's.
2.5rs' have always been overpriced in the used car market.
the best value for awd is a first gen wrx, they are mad cheap at this moment.

CodexVelerian

Ready to race!
$4000 isnt to bad of a price.. but yes im actually rather fond of the Celicas myself. The RS2.5 is alot easier to find though. Suppose it will just come down to what is available when the time comes to buy.

HardCandy

Go Kart Champion
or for that 4k you can find a b5 s4 :) granted the 2.5 will have cheaper parts and be better off road.

At one time i had a rally moded sentra se, sr20de with a mechanical factory lsd was a fun pos, I too have the play car itch.. to bad i dont have the playboy bank roll.