GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

09 GTI Third Break Light

09GTI_Mk5_Sasha

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI 2.0L
My third break light is out (the one on the spoiler) and i have a new one to replace it. Has anyone on here done it? I brought it into a shop to get my windshield replaced and asked if they could put it on and they said it's glued in and the don't know how to get it out. Any thoughts?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Brake light. They are actually covered by an extended warranty, ask your dealer.

Jinjabreadman

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 Gti White
I had to do this but only because i wanted a carbon fiber spoiler.
Not fun and not as easy as some may say.

The glue holding the spoiler is so strong there is a good chance your going to break it trying to remove it.

the actual spoiler piece is whats holding the light in place. I had to order the 3rd brake light from ecs

best of luck to you

Zach L

VR junkie
If warranty couldn't help I'd take it to someone that does glass replacements. They'll have the tools and know-how to take it off without breaking the glass, and adhesive to put it back on.

on.your.left

Ready to race!
Brake light. They are actually covered by an extended warranty, ask your dealer.

^This.

Mine went out 2-yrs ago and it was covered under warranty. The dealer (so take it for what it's worth) said that 95% of the spoilers they take off, break in the process. You may have better luck if you aren't covered under warranty and decide to do it yourself.

Cheers,
M.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Warranty first. What SuperSkyline posted second. If you're going to break something, it might as well be the less expensive piece that you're replacing anyway.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
If you DIY, wait for a warm day and use a good clothes steamer on it as you pry.