GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

135i Test Drive

Scharf

A stock GTI might feel faster, but it's not.

Si Killer

RIP BOVICE
A stock GTI might feel faster, but it's not.

yeah it's just because of the quiet exhaust and tons of sound deadening material.

SR32

Ready to race!
My neighbour has one that I have driven a few times. All of that chubby low down torque is what its all about. Our S3 (which I assume would be quicker than a GTI with a similar turbo feel - I've never driven a GTI) may feel quicker because of the turbo rush, but I would take the low down torque of the 135i (and the R32 for what its worth) every day of the week.

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
yea, you're right, it sucks. just stick with your fwd 300hp tops without going with a bt GTI while the guy in the 135i puts on a piggyback and sticky tires and runs a 4.5 0-60. in all seriousness, though, my mom has a 335i and i know what you're talking about. the straight 6 is extremely smooth and quiet stock, so sometimes it can feel like you aren't going very fast. it's really just a bmw characteristic. when I got a drive in my uncle's E39 M5, I was just driving around not trying to go fast and suddenly noticed I was doing almost 90 on the freeway. I had no idea because the ride was extremely controlled, no sudden body movements, the engine was very smooth, and relatively low levels of noise.

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
beamers have a way of feeling slow.

i rode in my friends 02 M3 and i was thinking this thing is damn slow when he launched it then i looked at the speedo and it said 100 i was like damn this thing is fucking fast!

plac

GTI Master
it is not slow to warm up. you were looking at an OIL temp gauge. not a COOLANT temp gauge.

the 135i real power starts at 5000rpm. and i was chipped too..

KingOfJericho

Go Kart Champion
I test drove an auto before the GTI and didn't find it to be worth the extra $18K over a GTI. I was even at the top of the waiting list at my local dealer for the 135i before test-driving the car. I never looked back until my buddy got one. It's a manual and that thing feels fast from top to bottom but I have to say that it does not feel like a turbo car. The delivery is VERY smooth which is what gives the illusion that you're going slower than you actually are. The 335i I felt was a flat out snore to drive. Too quiet, too refined, too big.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
who cares? point is, its loads faster then a gti so what 1 person may thing is irrelevant

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
if you wanna know what fast feels like drive a rabbit :bellyroll:

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
so the people in this thread like cars that are slow, loud, and don't feel like they are rock solid and composed when driven... holy moly egads i found the riceburner jackpot!!!

KingOfJericho

Go Kart Champion
so the people in this thread like cars that are slow, loud, and don't feel like they are rock solid and composed when driven... holy moly egads i found the riceburner jackpot!!!

There is such a thing as being too refined. That's what I think happened to the 3 series. It's much larger than it used to be. When I test drove the 1 and 3 series I had just sold my Exige which was raw, loud, crass, and fast and had absolutely zero creature comforts. A 3 series was like a Lincoln Town Car in comparison. I would probably have felt differently had I never owned the Lotus or if I test drove it again today. Call me weird but when I hit the gas pedal on a 300+hp car, I want to hear it open up. Solid and composed is great but muted and numb is not.