GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'15 Cayman S or '18 RS3

lalalaprise

Ready to race!
Hey, haven't been around this place much but was a fairly regular poster on MK6.com. Would like to know opinions on a very difficult decision I have that is approaching. :)

I currently have a 2013 GTI 4 door, Candy White DSG that is Stage 2 Uni with only 34,000 KMs.

I am currently 1st on the waitlist at my local Audi dealer for an RS3. My spec would likely be Nardo Grey, Black Optics, Sport Exhaust, will come in at a touch under 70K CAD. I could pick up a 2014/2015 Cayman S well spec'ed with the 6-speed stick for approx the same price.

I dont currently winter drive my GTI and I wont be winter driving my new choice as I have access to cars I can drive in the winter. These 2 cars are as different as you can get. Just looking for some opinions. Could also get a new Golf R but I am looking to try something different as ive had 2 GTI's as my last 2 vehicles.

Thanks

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I love the cayman s, such a nice sports car. Probably my top pick if I had the ability to rock a second car. But do they really go for $70K 3 years used?

Cayman s vs rs3, I take the cayman all day. New vs used at the same price? It would be very hard to justify the used cayman, especially when the rs3 gets like 75 more hp and is brand new.

Stick with the rs3 imo

lalalaprise

Ready to race!
I love the cayman s, such a nice sports car. Probably my top pick if I had the ability to rock a second car. But do they really go for $70K 3 years used?

Cayman s vs rs3, I take the cayman all day. New vs used at the same price? It would be very hard to justify the used cayman, especially when the rs3 gets like 75 more hp and is brand new.

Stick with the rs3 imo

Yea, Canadian dollars remember. A high spec 2015 Cayman S with low kms is pushing 70k. That would be CPO with likely 6 years or 160k of warranty.

Thanks for your thoughts...tough decision. Would be easier if the RS3 was available in the sportback though hah

paulkromz

Drag Racing Champion
Porsche all day every day

lalalaprise

Ready to race!

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
They really are night and day (naturally aspirated/turbo, 2 seater sports car/salon) except very similar in performance. I would choose the RS3 as similar performance, yet comfortable, understated, practical and its new. A two hour drive in your Cayman on rough roads and your back will be saying what was I thinking. Stuck in traffic and your left leg will be saying the same thing as that clutch is not easy. The Audi is turbocharged so that 400HP stock will likely be 500HP with a stage 1 tune a total sleeper except for those in the know. Inlaws come over, no problem, run to the hardware store, no problem. Too bad its a salon and they didn't bring as a couple, but wow what car. For me, the Audi is the smart choice.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
The cleanest 997.1 Turbo you can find.

Thank me later.

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
The Cayman's PDK is about as good as a gearbox can come. I'm sure the RS3 will have a good transmission (probably Audi's version of dual clutch), but I can attest to how the the Porsche's dual clutch is both on and off the track. If you're into the whole launch control thing, the Porsches also blister most manufacturers for ease and consistency.

One thing to consider is the maintenance. I've owned several newer Audis and a bunch of Porsches. Although you'd probably be servicing once a year, you will pay for everything out of pocket on the Porsche. The first year is only about $200, but every other year is a 'service' and those are about $500-$900 depending on the model and mileage (again, USD). I'm sure you know, but maintaining at the dealership is kind of a requirement for newer ones to maintain a high resale value. If resale doesn't concern you, then you can service for fairly cheap.

With the Audi care, I'm guessing the RS3 would be about $1k USD (probably $1500 CAD) for 4 years of maintenance.

I'm not as versed in the RS3's as I am a manual transmission person, but with the Porsche, you have staggered tires that you probably can't rotate and they will be quite pricey.

The MPG in the Porsche's are pretty spot on, where I never got close to what Audi claimed in my S4's or automatic A4's.

The sound systems won't even be close. If that matters, the base in the Cayman sucks. The Bose sucks a little less but is powerful enough to cover road noise, and the Burmester is awesome, but way too much money for the Cayman in any trim.

Another thing is how they drive... completely different, and the noise thing in the interior will be completely different. Personally, if I were getting a nice car that was sporty and I would be taking for spirited drives and out on the town, I'd go with the Audi. If I were looking for a raw, sports car with a less refined comfort level, to thrash through the backroads or occasionally at the track, I would go with the Cayman.

I know you mentioned it, but grab a proper CPO Porsche (check dealer reviews to see if they're reputable as our local one's CPO is a joke), or get it inspected. There's a lot of these that get taken care of to the highest level, and a lot that get the balls flogged off of them.

lalalaprise

Ready to race!
They really are night and day (naturally aspirated/turbo, 2 seater sports car/salon) except very similar in performance. I would choose the RS3 as similar performance, yet comfortable, understated, practical and its new. A two hour drive in your Cayman on rough roads and your back will be saying what was I thinking. Stuck in traffic and your left leg will be saying the same thing as that clutch is not easy. The Audi is turbocharged so that 400HP stock will likely be 500HP with a stage 1 tune a total sleeper except for those in the know. Inlaws come over, no problem, run to the hardware store, no problem. Too bad its a salon and they didn't bring as a couple, but wow what car. For me, the Audi is the smart choice.

Heh good points :) Not too worried about the clutch as I dont have a long commute and would mostly be driving on weekends...that being said, hard to find a Cayman S in the spec id want with a manual, PDK is looking like the option as it opens up more possibilities based on whats available for sale.

Ive had my 2013 GTI for 4 years now and the backseat has been sat in a grand total of 2 times. Will miss having the hatch though, the thing is a tank when it comes to versatility.

lalalaprise

Ready to race!
The cleanest 997.1 Turbo you can find.

Thank me later.

Would be nice...but would cost more to buy and maintain and no warranty.

lalalaprise

Ready to race!
The Cayman's PDK is about as good as a gearbox can come. I'm sure the RS3 will have a good transmission (probably Audi's version of dual clutch), but I can attest to how the the Porsche's dual clutch is both on and off the track. If you're into the whole launch control thing, the Porsches also blister most manufacturers for ease and consistency.

One thing to consider is the maintenance. I've owned several newer Audis and a bunch of Porsches. Although you'd probably be servicing once a year, you will pay for everything out of pocket on the Porsche. The first year is only about $200, but every other year is a 'service' and those are about $500-$900 depending on the model and mileage (again, USD). I'm sure you know, but maintaining at the dealership is kind of a requirement for newer ones to maintain a high resale value. If resale doesn't concern you, then you can service for fairly cheap.

With the Audi care, I'm guessing the RS3 would be about $1k USD (probably $1500 CAD) for 4 years of maintenance.

I'm not as versed in the RS3's as I am a manual transmission person, but with the Porsche, you have staggered tires that you probably can't rotate and they will be quite pricey.

The MPG in the Porsche's are pretty spot on, where I never got close to what Audi claimed in my S4's or automatic A4's.

The sound systems won't even be close. If that matters, the base in the Cayman sucks. The Bose sucks a little less but is powerful enough to cover road noise, and the Burmester is awesome, but way too much money for the Cayman in any trim.

Another thing is how they drive... completely different, and the noise thing in the interior will be completely different. Personally, if I were getting a nice car that was sporty and I would be taking for spirited drives and out on the town, I'd go with the Audi. If I were looking for a raw, sports car with a less refined comfort level, to thrash through the backroads or occasionally at the track, I would go with the Cayman.

I know you mentioned it, but grab a proper CPO Porsche (check dealer reviews to see if they're reputable as our local one's CPO is a joke), or get it inspected. There's a lot of these that get taken care of to the highest level, and a lot that get the balls flogged off of them.

Yes, the RS3 will come with the 7 speed S-Tronic, in typical Audi fashion there is no manual option.

Good point regarding the servicing. With a Cayman you almost have to take it to the dealer and pay $250 for an oil change. Ive taken my GTI to the Uni Authorized Dealer here for servicing which is where id take the RS3 which means oil changes wont be much more than my GTI. Plus like you said, Porsche has service intervals which can ratchet up the cost.

RS3 comes with staggered tires as an option, which is pretty much a must. Fatter front tires to cope with the understeer.

Thanks for your feedback. They are quite different so its not really a fair comp as it will come down to how you plan on using each car.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Ive had my 2013 GTI for 4 years now and the backseat has been sat in a grand total of 2 times. Will miss having the hatch though, the thing is a tank when it comes to versatility.

I hear you. I rarely use the backseat, only for carrying friends around on the weekends if they don't feel like driving. I was in the market for a 2 seater before grabbing the GTI so the sedan/5 seater idea took a while to grow on me.

Honestly, if its an option in canada, have you considered a 2 door clubsport? With your budget, you could turn it into an awesome DD and retain the hatch. If the backseats are really not needed, rip them out, have an upholstery guy finish it to look like its from the factory, and put a custom brace in, painted to your liking. You should still have plenty of money in your pocket vs the porsche/rs3 and will have a killer clubsport to zip around in.

An exhaust + a couple of tasteful mods and you'll be a few cool classes above either the cayman or rs3 imo for much less $$$

lalalaprise

Ready to race!
I hear you. I rarely use the backseat, only for carrying friends around on the weekends if they don't feel like driving. I was in the market for a 2 seater before grabbing the GTI so the sedan/5 seater idea took a while to grow on me.

Honestly, if its an option in canada, have you considered a 2 door clubsport? With your budget, you could turn it into an awesome DD and retain the hatch. If the backseats are really not needed, rip them out, have an upholstery guy finish it to look like its from the factory, and put a custom brace in, painted to your liking. You should still have plenty of money in your pocket vs the porsche/rs3 and will have a killer clubsport to zip around in.

An exhaust + a couple of tasteful mods and you'll be a few cool classes above either the cayman or rs3 imo for much less $$$

Unfortunately no Clubsport for Canada. Looking to try something different than the Golf platform. Have had two GTI's as my past 2 cars. I love/loved them. They are fun to drive and mod and ive had perfect reliability (knock on wood).

Dont plan on modding my next car, I know, easier said than done. I know if i picked up a MK7 Golf R id have it modded before I got it home from the dealer. :)