GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1k oil change?

kromark

Take a look at the VW service link a few posts back. There is Fixed (time/distance) and Flexible. I choose, and always have chosen Flexible.
The link has the criteria for both. It's nothing to do with commercial drivers and not caring for the car. I'm certainly not a commercial driver - I retired a few years ago.
It may be that you will be happier with the fixed service regime.
Thnx! BTW, no one asked me if I want Fixed or Flexible when I bought the car.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I aways tell the dealer which service regime I want before I take delivery of the car so they can ensure it’s set correctly when they carry out the PDI. They don’t always set it to what I want though 😠.

SennaS

Passed Driver's Ed
You're mixing units - Kilometres and Miles, best to keep consistent 😃.

The VW recommended flexible interval is 18,500 MILES or 2 years, whichever is first (there's more detail in the links of earlier posts). The mileage to service is variable, it changes depending on sensor driven findings of how the car is driven, but isn't longer than 18,500 miles.
As said in earlier posts I use the flexible intervals and always have. My last Golf Mk6 (2011) is in the family and still going strong.
Understood. 18,500 mile theoretical max? Complete madness.

kromark

Screenshot_2023-05-10-18-04-51-98_3e37e18b6ca6516f9b0720c43bc93efd.jpg
Run/left to run until the first service. Yes, 18700 miles w/o any service sounds like madness for me too.

Last edited:

C0TT1S

Passed Driver's Ed
IMG_0039.jpeg

Seems like madness to have a service wait this long that’s for sure. I’ll be swapping cars before it’s ever had a service as I do around 5k a year.

kromark

Sorry for the stupid question: if I change, say, oil and filters earlier, do they still require a service at the date/kms shown by car to keep the warranty?

CH47AV8R

Sorry for the stupid question: if I change, say, oil and filters earlier, do they still require a service at the date/kms shown by car to keep the warranty?
You're effectively pushing the date/kms out to a new value by servicing early.
Reset the service minder when you change the oil/filter. (refer to your owners manual on the procedure for your specific model)
Keep records and receipts of everything.

Promptly

Why not ask VW?
If your driving style means that you'd be be better suited to Fixed than Flexible service regime, or for some reason you're not happy with the Flexible service schedule, why not ask VW to reset your car to Fixed service schedule.

On a former Golf I changed from Fixed to Flexible when I found out that the dealership had not followed my instruction at purchase time, so they'd certainly do it the other way around - after all it's more money for the dealership.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Aside from obviously documenting everything, you'd want to make certain to show you're using a VW approved oil for the service. If a problem does occur, it could be grounds for VW to deny warranty if not adhered to.

kromark

Sure, I'm going to undergo the early service at the dealership where I bought my car, so I expect no problems with that. Will ask them too, thanks.

Promptly

10,000 miles done, ready for its first oil change/service in about 12 months. No problems, done it many times before.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230519-130913.png
    Screenshot_20230519-130913.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 39

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If you want to keep your engine warranty, follow the manual. Oil changes are the first thing they look at, after they hook up to VW to see if you're tuned.