GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0 TFSI "sweet spot" ~ Better mpg

mrlapou

Ready to race!
Did the second of my twice yearly 880mile round trip last week.
Normally cruise set at 70mph car averages 35mpg....
The road conditions were almost the same as my last trip but this time , even though car was laden with approx 50kg extra luggage the same trip with cruise set at 73mph resulted in 38mpg.

Fuel was same brand and grade.
Only things that have changed are:
..DSG oil change,
..Two rear Dunlop tyres change to Conti2's which match the fronts.
..Added a boot gauge.

All I can think of is 73mph is a good "sweet spot" for mpg.....:thumbup:

slanky

Ready to race!
I would imagine sweet spots would vary from engine to engine depending on break in, mods, fuel quality, wind, altitude, incline, tires, and endless other factors.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
damn that's huge mileage! I'm lucky to get 31 on long trips with my 6MT FSI Stage II.. and that's babying it!

slanky

Ready to race!
my max MPG so far has been 27. that is after 43,000 miles of driving it.

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
My max has been around 33 mpg on a 15 mile round trip. I think it may have been a little higher at one point, but I can't remember exactly.

Bliyun

GTI Scene Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MKV
Road conditions affect it too. Some freeways are BUMPY ASS HELL, that could do a round on your MPG ratings.

So to eliminate the factors, drive on the SAME ROAD/HWY (not the opposite direction), same time of the day, same weather, same EVERYTHING. ehehehh..

nikitynick

EurotrashSD Dubber
i personally find that for my 6MT, setting cruise in 6th at about 50-55mph on flat level driving yields the best milege. I've pushed up to 40mpg on a trip, but other factors range it anything from 32-40mpg. its not too useful as I'm always over this when on the highway, but some roads are ideal conditions for this. anyone else notice the same thing?

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
:thumbup: I've gotten' 40 - 42 MPG at a steady 80 MPH multiple times.

Instantaneous readings are meaningless. What matters is the overall average.
When I take a 40 mile trip down the NJTP and set my cruise at 80, I average like 24-25 mpg at best. You don't drive a prius, you aren't getting 40mpg.