GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0t HPFP swap on 1.8t

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ironically I swapped the plugs and the idle seemed a little better. Maybe I did an accidental good lol
75pa1z.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Update after moving plug and coil pack:

Pull 1:

https://datazap.me/u/zwalk/3rd-gear?log=0&data=8-14

Pull 2:

https://datazap.me/u/zwalk/3rd-gear-pull-2?log=0&data=8-14-25-26-27-28
Strangely I'm in KR land again in Cyl 1:
Well pull 1 looks better that the previous one- 6.5 timing advance and no KR. Pull 2 yeah, -5+ on the KR and the lower overall advance. Maybe it's just what Diggs said....just keep the revisions going until they say final and see what that looks like and move forward. Still suprised to see the AFR so rich (to me) on this tune.

How does it feel?

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
Well pull 1 looks better that the previous one- 6.5 timing advance and no KR. Pull 2 yeah, -5+ on the KR and the lower overall advance. Maybe it's just what Diggs said....just keep the revisions going until they say final and see what that looks like and move forward. Still suprised to see the AFR so rich (to me) on this tune.

How does it feel?
Yeah, just figured I’d do another and compare after plugs

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It's not a plug issue, stop checking them.

AFR is pretty typical of EQT. Pretty much their defacto AFR is 11.47/11.65.
Which makes sense at the high boost they run on their 2.0 tunes but here on the 1.8 you won't get the power at 22 peak psi and 6 deg of advance unless that lambda is a bit higher is my take.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
It's not a plug issue, stop checking them.

AFR is pretty typical of EQT. Pretty much their defacto AFR is 11.47/11.65.

There is no repeat activity going on, just what I had already done before you commented and never logged! Thanks for the insight though!

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
Update, doesnt look like this is sorted on EQT yet but its in progress. I'll be skipping it for now

ClancyMcCintock

Car(s)
‘19 Alltrack, 84 GTi
Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Even though it’s old, this thread seems to the repository of knowledge on going beyond the stock HPFP on the 1.8T .

Has anybody tried the Autotech high volume fuel pump internal kit?

https://www.bmptuning.com/products/autotech-high-volume-fuel-pump-upgrade-kit-ea888-gen-3

That page lists compatibility with the mk7 1.8t.

This seems like a solution for upgrading our HPFP without having to specifically tune for it. ( i.e. I can use my Eurodyne Maestro and keep messing with the tune myself. )

There’s a disclaimer on the box about using it with an older intake camshaft:

“The pump is driven by a lobe on the factory intake camshaft that in tum drives the fuel pump piston through a follower. The pressure exerted on the cam lobe can be up to 50% greater than the standard pplication. Both VW and Audi have issued factory ’Technical Service Bulletins’ regarding abnormal imshaft wear and failure with the standard stock factory installed fuel pump. Both companies have issued corrective actions that include replacing the factory stock camshaft with a new camshaft that has improved surface hardened fuel pump lobes. The part number for this new camshaft is 06F.109.101B .​
Before proceeding with the installation of Autotech's high volume fuel pump kit, it is imperative that the installer check for wear on the existing camshaft and follower. If worn, the camshaft must be replaced.​
If not worn, it will be necessary to identify which camshaft you have in your engine by looking at the part number etched in the cam between the lobes for the number 2 and number 3 cylinders. The old style (less hardened cam) is marked with part #06F.109.101A. Those customers who have the old style cam should strongly consider changing to the new cam, which is part #06F.109.101B. ”​

Your injectors then become the limit. Just install MPI and be done with worrying about fueling.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
HPFP seems like a giant pain in the ass/drama/issues. MPI is the trouble-free way to go if you need more go-go juice.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
HPFP is easy if you have the right tuner. Even though I'm parting out my wagon, I still left the gti hpfp.

ClancyMcCintock

Car(s)
‘19 Alltrack, 84 GTi
3 people with years of experience with this are saying MPI.
Ok. you’d be a fool not to heed this.

And I saw Diggs removed his autotech HPFP because of pressure spikes.

But one more question so my mind doesn’t nag me:
Is the advice the same if I tell you I’m putting a 2.0 Jetta GLI engine in my Alltrack, with the same injectors as a GTi, and my goal is just 400 hp (crank) on 91? and there’s no ethanol around here. ( I mean, in the liquor store, yeah, but I’m not aiming to put Everclear in it. )