GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

20 Min S4 Review

glory

Ready to race!
Got to take out a fully loaded b8 S4 out for a quick spin today from the local dealer just for kicks. The salesman was awesome and well informed about Audi and cars in general which is a good change from the usual.

For a quick background, I DD a stock 6MT 2012 GTI with everything minus the leather (leatherette?) seats. Have been doing so for the past year. Going to the drive I gave the GTI a quick pulls and turns to make sure I had a base point for what I was about to take part in. I pulled up the dealership not knowing what to expect and very excited.

Anyways, this is a review of 20mins behind the wheel. Configuration of the car was:
-Estoril Blue
-5 Arm Titanium Wheels (on some winter tires, which I didn't look at)
-Lunar Silver/Black Leather Seat
-B&O sound system
-Audi Drive Select
-Sport Diff.
-S tronic

The Estoril Blue looks magnificent! I am a huge fan of black cars, but the blue I could definately live with. Sleek and sexy. Paired with the Lunar Silver/Black seats (my favorite seats on the s4) I think its a great combination.

Sitting in the bucket seats are much more supporting then the GTI's I find. I am not a large person (~160lbs @ 5'10"). Comfortable when cruising and supportive when throwing into turns.

The cabin of the s4 feels familiar, well laid out and a sense of german-ness :p . The steering wheel is thick and feels good in the hands. I like the flat bottom, I think it looks better and is a nice touch for turning. The size of the car feels a tad larger then the GTI but not as big as I thought it was going to. The rear seat room is a bit lacking from what I saw behind the salesman (>6ft). I would guess it would be fine for short trips but not long highway cruising. Again guessing at that.

The B&O I didn't really test out (was more interested in driving then music). Had the radio on very slightly, but not high enough to hear, what I would assume would be, the magic of B&O. Same thing goes for any menu navigating and user friendliness.

Starting off the salesman tells me to put it into Sport mode and is the only way to drive this car. Can't say no to that. Pull out of the parking lot to let the engine warm up and feel how it drives at a leisurely pace. Its easy to maneuver and doesn't feel like a large sedan at all. Road noise is minimal/non existent from what I remember, unlike my GTI. Turning into a neighborhood, where there is less traffic and leads to some highway, I had to travel through a large and deep puddle. Here my GTI would make me notice it by pulling the car into the puddle. The s4 on the other hand scoffs at the puddle and continues on, I like it! A car pulls out in front of me during the drive to the highway and I tap the brakes. The pedal feel is grabby, a slight touch puts on the brakes alot more then on my GTI. The s4 brakes invoke more confidence into the car I find next to the GTI.

Anyways, get through the neighbourhood and turn onto the highway. Salesman says to punch it and of course I listen. 20-100km/h takes no time at all. The acceleration is smooth, so smooth is that I don't really feel the pull of the engine in my seat. Everything is pretty docile, except for the fact of the exhaust note burbling along behind me, the s-tronic shifting in milliseconds and the speedometer increasing rapidly. I let off and am pleased with what I just experience. Try it again from ~120km/h and act as if I am doing a overtaking pass on the highway. The power just rolls out and before I know it, and would be well past the imaginary car, I am well beyond the speed limit; grinning from ear to ear. Salesman says it's time to head back as he has a client coming in shortly to take possession of her new Q5 (was told her husband wanted her to buy a Chevy SUV :confused:).

I pull onto a side road and do a quick U-turn. In the s4 it is as easy as in my GTI. On the way back I continue to lay the pedal into the ground and watch the speedometer climb. I could definitely get used to this. Get stuck behind a car, so I ask the salesman what is the MPG difference between the s4 and an a4 2.0t. 3MPG. 37MPG for the S4 highway and 40MPG for the A4 (all theoretical, but still impressive). Turn back into the neighborhood and I remember the sport diff. Part way through the corner I add some power and feel the diff tighten up the turn and let me power out earlier then I would have in the GTI. Wish my GTI do something like this, rather then spin tires. One thing I truly enjoy about my GTI is the ease of throwing it about. Be it in turns or dodging potholes on a straight (looks like a war zone in my city right now). On a clear straight I threw the s4 from side to side; you can definitely feel the weight of the sedan here. But being as it hides it's weight well and one would rarely throw the car like that, besides on a track, I don't think its a big worry. Play with the sport diff. a bit more on a traffic circle and head back to the dealership.

I am at this point grinning like a small child who just got an extra piece of cake from my parents.

Overall, the s4 is a pleasure to drive. If I could afford one right now, I would sell my GTI and get one. Around where I live, it is nothing but flat straight roads. So the s4 would be a great highway cruiser and in town car for DD duties.

Hope you enjoyed my quick review of the Audi S4. One day I hope to join the ranks :drinking:. Next I hope to test a 2012 TT-RS when the weather is warmer.

TL;DR - Drove an s4 for 20mins, enjoyed it. Want to trade in GTI for it. Need funding.

glory

Ready to race!
No dealer in Stonebridge. Mind you the s4 costs ~2x as much as a gti (mine was ~66k). The GTI is still a good car, so I wouldn't be going to return it right now if I couldn't afford an s4.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Indeed a nice car! The really crappy part about the car, is that it is wildly expensive to own and mod.

McQueen77

Banned
good review, but ultimately, totally silly comparing it to the GTI. completely different class. you could buy 2 GTIs w/money to spare for that car.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
good review, but ultimately, totally silly comparing it to the GTI. completely different class. you could buy 2 GTIs w/money to spare for that car.

True, there would be a serious problem if it wasn't a lot better than the GTI in most ways.

glory

Ready to race!

I disagree with it being totally silly with comparing the two. I see it has showing what you can get for the extra money you pay. Could do the same thing with respect to say a 15k toyota/hyundai. As well, it was the only real thing I could easily compare too.

rmchung

Ready to race!
What I don't understand is that after owning a B5 S4 and looking at the size of the B8, why is there still the same (if not only slightly more) legroom in the back? For it's size, it still feels very cramped in the back.

rmchung

Ready to race!
Do you consider the Golf cramped? It is the same size rear seat.

I am 5'10. There is ample legroom in the back of a Golf. In the back of the S4, if someone my height was driving, I could not sit in the rear seat behind the driver. In the Golf, I can easily sit behind my driver seat without having to spread my legs wide open.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Weird. I'm 5'10" and own both cars. With the front seat set to my driving position the leg room feels the same in both cars, just like the spec sheets say (both list around 35" - however that is measured). I might take a tape measure to it tonight, you've got me curious :lol:

JammingJay

Ready to race!
What I don't understand is that after owning a B5 S4 and looking at the size of the B8, why is there still the same (if not only slightly more) legroom in the back? For it's size, it still feels very cramped in the back.

I owned both, and without getting scientific maybe seat positioning. I feel the B8 is more reclined, than the GTI which is more upright.

The perception of size and space is greater otherwise.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
So it sounds like its about $20,000 better than a Dodge SRT8... or is it... ($65k vs $45k)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
LULZ^^^^