GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2008 G37

Plyngntrffc

FIA GT Newbie
Who's seen it? i got a flyer in the mail today for it..3.7 liter v6, 330hp, looks awesome in the few shots ive seen...but it reminds me of an is350 from the front/side

335 Trojan

Macro FTW.
Yeah, it is gonna be a sweet car.

The 2009 will be a hard-top convertible, which is obviously supposed to be the #1 competitor of the new 08 335i hard-top convertible.

Can't wait!

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
it looks great, but i read that the extra performance isnt really there for the new 3.7L.

definitely a beautiful coupe though

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I'm not too sure where you read that from. Although, if the G37 could just trim about 100-200 pounds (pauses to imagine the results). These two cars have been battling it out for a few years now, and the victor has always been the BMW. But this year is the first year that a couple of the magazines I read gave the win to the G37 in the comparo. Finally! I believe it was Motor Trend that did a nice write up on the two and said (and I quote) "The King Is Dead" when speaking about the 335i. Then again Automobile Mag gave the BMW the win. Let's face it though...The G37's a car that's arguably just as nice and it's price is somewhere around $7-8K less. The Japanese putting the squeeze on BMW is a good thing. It's going to force them reconsider everything they're doing and upgrade where needed. And the engine would be a nice place to start. BMW has two ways they can play this. 1. Add more output to the already used twin turbo. (Not my choice). Or 2. Upgrade the engine and give it a major overhaul. (Now we're talking). I mean seriously, let's think about this. It's a twin turbo six cylinder that makes about 30 less hp than the NA G37's six. Where's the pride in that?

Disclaimer: By no means am I bashing on the 335i. It's a great car. We already know this. However, I do think they should be squeezing more than 300hp out of that thing. And fortunatly for us, the Japanese are going to keep coming at them. Forcing BMW to upgrade. Thus giving us (the consumer) a better car. Aren't car wars great? [ends long winded statement]

my07blkgti

I'll do it!!
Well the main reason they dont up it up from the 300hp is because then it would start to compete with the upcoming M3 in the power department...Bmw likes leaving a BIG gap between the 3series and the M3. I dont think the new 335i needs more power because it already does 13.6 1/4 mile stock which is really close to the e46 M3. They already uped up the power from the previous motor that they had (I think it had 260hp...the 330i). I just think the reason why the G37 is closing the gap is because they are offering mostly everything bmw is offering but at a way cheaper price.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
True...but if they don't up it's performance, then the next comparo the G37 is in may just end up being with the M series Bimmer. And BMW doesn't want that. Because the G37 cost way less. So I wouldn't think they'd dare let Nisssan close the gap without putting up a fight. Hence the wars being a great thing. Just like every other year, we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. All I'm saying is that it puts BMW in a bit of a jam...and that's a good thing for us all. Trust me, each one of the mgr's reads the magazines results and studies one another's cars inside out to see what they can do to make their car better.

Back on topic. I think the new G37's lines look great.

Edit: Ok, so comparing it to an M series may be taking it a bit too far. But it's days of losing to the 335 would be a thing of the past.

Last edited:

CalBoyTex

Banned
I gotta agree with my buddy kirk!! the g37 looks nice!!! bmw better step it up!

my07blkgti

I'll do it!!
True...but if they don't up it's performance, then the next comparo the G37 is in may just end up being with the M series Bimmer. And BMW doesn't want that. Because the G37 cost way less. So I wouldn't think they'd dare let Nisssan close the gap without putting up a fight. Hence the wars being a great thing. Just like every other year, we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. All I'm saying is that it puts BMW in a bit of a jam...and that's a good thing for us all.

You are deff right though because the main reason they uped it to a twin turbo motor is to compete with competition because they were losing against every car they were compared to when it came to speed so that made them improve the 3 series in that matter. Plus the tuning capabilities of that motor is rediculous as you probably know.

Here is a video with just a 91 octane chip and a catback exhaust:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8vmvAQfXweE
0-100mph in 9seconds:eyebulge: spinning some tires too.

Here is one 335i chipped racing a evo IX with tons of work(read the description on the video):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j8G4vFmQ6qY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-xyIONzeASU
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uTiSyAAuQeY

I really do think that this new 335i with a chip/TBE/intake will beat the new V8 M3.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Cool! Then we agree. I'm also with you on the tuned 335i vs an M3 thing. I'd probably buy the 335i first. Then again, I've never been a fan of the V8. Although the M3 is an awesome car. Reminds me off the early 1990's though (or was it late 1980's) with the Ford Thunderbirds in which I'd have preferred to own a 6 cylinder supercharged one vs the bigger V8. The tuned 6 was a beast. *showing his age to the few who may know what I'm talking about*:redface:

Meat

rack rack 'em
The new G37 or the new bmw 335I will be the next car I purchase...most likely it will be the 335i just because I am a BMW fan and the tuning capabilities on the car is amazing.

Yeah. For a good comparison between the two, read the cover article in the latest issue of Car&Driver.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
It was the big story in a few car mags this month. Actually, I found MT's article to be pretty insightful. [edits rant about magazines companies]

Last edited: