GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200tw tires for Track use

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Doing track sprints tomorrow at the FIRM. It’s like autocross (1 lap at a time with a break between), but full track, full speed, no cones. I normally run 33f/35r hot in my 255/40r17 V730s for autocross. Should I target the same pressures for the track sprints? Or should I start the lap a little lower since the tires will probably heat up more during the lap?
So driving at ~8/10 today I ended up with 34f/36r feeling good. No rollover detected in the chalk lines. Probably would need more pressure if I were driving harder. After a couple runs, temps stabilized and I only gained ~1psi per lap.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
MPS4S will be better on the street and have more grip than a 200tw most of the time. You never get 200tw tires up to temp on the street.

MPS4S have more grip at the lower temps you'll see on the street.

It's like putting racing brake pads on your car and expecting better braking on the street.
I feel personally attacked as I remove my RS4 covered wheels to measure my XP12 pads 😂

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Regarding PS4S PSS vs RS4 in the cold on the street (high altitude mountain pass):

I wouldn’t worry much about RS4 in cold temps. I drove mine hard this weekend (in the morning) in ~30° temps and didn’t experience any traction loss until I saw an indicated 26°. An M2c with PS4S PSS couldn’t keep up as he was fighting for traction in and out of every turn.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So you got magic RS4's? The RS4 is well known to need heat in them to have grip, but you got the special set. Awesome. Where do I get the magic tires?

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
So you got magic RS4's? The RS4 is well known to need heat in them to have grip, but you got the special set. Awesome. Where do I get the magic tires?
Must be magic then. I bought them directly from Hankook.

With a past set, I’ve driven in the snow, uphill, in a manual atsv, without tc kicking on. Granted, the snow was less than 2” but I was extremely impressed.

Lots and lots of variables but just wanted to chime in that I’ve had a different experience with rs4 in the cold.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I’m going to edit my earlier post. I reached out to a friend who drove one of the m2c this weekend and struggled for grip. I’d thought he was on PS4S but he corrected me and said he’s on fairly worn PSS, so disregard the comparison.

Still, I’m fairly impressed with RS4 in the cold. Carry on, Tire Nerds!

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Must be magic then. I bought them directly from Hankook.

With a past set, I’ve driven in the snow, uphill, in a manual atsv, without tc kicking on. Granted, the snow was less than 2” but I was extremely impressed.

Lots and lots of variables but just wanted to chime in that I’ve had a different experience with rs4 in the cold.
RWD, 400hp, in the snow and no traction issues with RS4? Holy shit, are you sure you aren't Jesus?

I love how basic science and how tires work end up being overrun with "I drove a Dodge Viper on the rims up a snowy mountain pass without losing traction".

Sorry, my dudes. Tires are designed to work in specific temperatures. There tons of real data and tests showing snow vs AS, AS vs summer, summer vs 200tw. 200tw vs 100tw and below. Slicks vs 100tw.

When I first bought my 19, I took it to Daytona stock on the AS tires. and was faster than a ZL1 on 300tw, an RS and WRX on 200tw, a Mustang GT on 300 tw. If I based all my opinions on my anecdotal experience, then obviously AS tires are faster than 200tw tires and a stock GTI is faster on track than a ZL1, GT, RS and WRX. It's irrefutable, because it happened to me.

So are you saying that a stock GTI is faster than a ZL1? Because that's exactly what you're doing with your anecdotal stories about your AWD Rvs a RWD M2 in adverse conditions. It's almost like AWD allows 4 wheels to provide traction in low traction situations vs a RWD vehicle...

Last edited:

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
RWD, 400hp, in the snow and no traction issues with RS4? Holy shit, are you sure you aren't Jesus?

I love how basic science and how tires work end up being overrun with "I drove a Dodge Viper on the rims up a snowy mountain pass without losing traction".

Sorry, my dudes. Tires are designed to work in specific temperatures. There tons of real data and tests showing snow vs AS, AS vs summer, summer vs 200tw. 200tw vs 100tw and below. Slicks vs 100tw.

When I first bought my 19, I took it to Daytona stock on the AS tires. and was faster than a ZL1 on 300tw, an RS and WRX on 200tw, a Mustang GT on 300 tw. If I based all my opinions on my anecdotal experience, then obviously AS tires are faster than 200tw tires and a stock GTI is faster on track than a ZL1, GT, RS and WRX. It's irrefutable, because it happened to me.

So are you saying that a stock GTI is faster than a ZL1? Because that's exactly what you're doing with your anecdotal stories about your AWD Rvs a RWD M2 in adverse conditions. It's almost like AWD allows 4 wheels to provide traction in low traction situations vs a RWD vehicle...
It was 550rwhp and TC didn’t kick on. Obviously I am Jesus.

Just giving on observation, don’t get too hung up on it.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It was 550rwhp and TC didn’t kick on. Obviously I am Jesus.

Just giving on observation, don’t get too hung up on it.
Obviously, snow tires are a waste of time, 200tw for all.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have other vehicles for snow. Not sure why you’re so bothered. Sorry to offend you, Sir!
I already explained it, in detail. Why are you so obtuse, Sir?

It's just a fact that tires by class and design have ranges of temps they're designed to run, no matter how many times you've driven threw mountain snow storms on RS4's. A snow tire will 100% perform better and, as an aside, 200 tw tires are damaged when driven in temps below 40 degrees.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I’ll say in regards to street cars using 200tw My rt615s in 265/35/18 my experience with them in Vegas weather is that even at 85degrees out unless I’ve spun them a few times right before to get heat in them if I just try to blast wot in 2nd gear they spin (scream) from 3600 rpms to 7k 😂😂. So I’m in the same camp that 200s aren’t maybe the “best” on a street car (also very annoying how much shit they fling when you first drive them in say 50 degree weather) but still… I’m not going back to PS4s tires for my GTI 😂

Last edited:

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Rs4s are worthless on a warmup lap until they get heat in them, which takes close to a full lap. I still love them and have bought numerous sets but they need heat to be grippy. Anyone saying otherwise isn't driving hard enough to notice

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Rs4s are worthless on a warmup lap until they get heat in them, which takes close to a full lap. I still love them and have bought numerous sets but they need heat to be grippy. Anyone saying otherwise isn't driving hard enough to notice
But bro, what if you're faster than your buddy with decade old 300tw tires that are heat cycled out?

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Update on the Nexen N’Fera Sport R 200tw tires. I am running the 245/40/17 on 17x9s Apex wheels. I’ve got 3 days on them now, 1 at Summit Point Shenandoah and 2 at VIR this past weekend.

Car. 2018 Golf Sportwagen w/4Motion. IS38. B8s/H&R springs/H&R front/rear sway bars/Eurosport mounts/Superpro LCAs.

Driver. I have 15 days on track at this point since starting this 3 years ago. I’m an intermediate driver.

Alignment:
Capture.JPG

The Nexens are great. Can’t really say anything negative about them and happy I tried them. Seem to wearing well. Lasted a whole 40 min session without fuss at a consistent pace (certainly not a TT/super fast one!). This event I was focused on working with my instructor and get a smoother line to work up my speed on so no lap times to talk about. I settled on cold pressures around 31 to end up around 38 or so. They inspired confidence around the track and had all the grip I needed. Never really faded/dropped off/got greasy feeling. Audible feedback is more muted sounding than my last set of tires but I don't have much experience with this type of tire so not sure what's normal...the 651 Sports SCREAMED ahahaha

I would highly recommend if you want to try something different than the usual players. Just for note, the MK8 R (stock) in front of me for some of this is a buddy and he's on Accelera 651 Sports and nabbed a 2:16!