GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200tw tires for Track use

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’m on stock size width for golf r with 235-40-18.

what kind of pressure would you recommend?
I would start with the air pressure that's on the door frame and adjust from there based on tread wear. For racing it's going to depend on a lot of variables. Weather, track condition etc.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG

Michelin recommends 35-40 PSI hot for max grip. I generally set 5 psi lower on cold. I ran my Yokohama Apex V601s at 34psi cold, sometimes 33 or 32 if a hotter day. Try starting at 34 next time then airing down if they get too greasy fast. An “old school” way to check is by looking at the edge of the wear marks on your tire. Note in the below photo how you can see I’m not using all the available tread. I could’ve probably aired down another PSI here.
F5FAF462-B17E-4D59-935D-1107CE05AA86.jpeg
F7CA8F8A-F188-42B3-BDB2-8B8CFF457BB0.jpeg

spaparizos

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport

So stock rims are 7.5 inch wide, is that right? The A052s tend to run wide. Even a normal 235/40 on 7.5 will have some pinching. They say 8 inch is min.

Was ditto blue milk at the event, so you have any photos ? It would be interesting to see is the tires are rolling. Eg, is that you?
https://www.gotbluemilk.com/2021/January-2021/210131NCRC/66/i-WBJsGdX/A

Don't get me wrong, they are soft tires, and need a lot of camber and a wider rim. But in the absence of that I would try 38-40 psi.

I did 225/40-18 on 18x8 with 2.1 camber and used 38 hot. For me ~4 days would be tops for A052s. Now I am trying the rt615k+ to see if that holds better until RS4s show up for sale.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Any thoughts to the new 240 treadwear Cup 2's?
I just got more info on this...

I do about 12K street miles and 10 track days per year. I use and love the "old" Cup 2's for street and track . Very pricey, but they are pretty much the perfect street/track combo for my needs. Great grip, excellent feedback, good wet weather grip on street (I don't run HPDE in rain) and OK durability. I spoke to TireRack and had 2 discussions with Michelin (their customer service was excellent by the way) and got this info:

*The lower treadwear Cup 2's are being discontinued. Once stock is gone it is 240 Cup2 Connects only.
*The "Connect" package is an additional box/sensors/software package that supposedly allows you to tune in your pressures precisely to the track and day you are driving. TBD in my opinion. I think it is not worth the additional $500 cost for HPDE, but that is just me.
* You do NOT need to buy or use any of the sensors to use the Connect 2's. The new tires simply have an added pocket on the inside to fit the sensors if you choose to use them.
* Cost is very similar bewteen Cup2 and Cup2 Connect
*TireRack said Connect grip is equal or better than Cup2 with expected better treadware. Michelin says they are faster than Cup2 with expected better treadware. Again, this is TBD on track.

I still have 2-3 days left on my old Cup 2's for this season. Once they are toast my personal plan is to give the Yok A052's a shot (~4 track days, hopefully 5, I'm guessing) and then try the Connects without the added hardware/software. After that I'll settle on one of the two.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Michelin recommends 35-40 PSI hot for max grip. I generally set 5 psi lower on cold. I ran my Yokohama Apex V601s at 34psi cold, sometimes 33 or 32 if a hotter day. Try starting at 34 next time then airing down if they get too greasy fast. An “old school” way to check is by looking at the edge of the wear marks on your tire. Note in the below photo how you can see I’m not using all the available tread. I could’ve probably aired down another PSI here.
View attachment 202457View attachment 202458
This.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
A052 and RT660 need more neg camber than the other front runner 200tw tires.
So stock rims are 7.5 inch wide, is that right? The A052s tend to run wide. Even a normal 235/40 on 7.5 will have some pinching. They say 8 inch is min.

Was ditto blue milk at the event, so you have any photos ? It would be interesting to see is the tires are rolling. Eg, is that you?
https://www.gotbluemilk.com/2021/January-2021/210131NCRC/66/i-WBJsGdX/A

Don't get me wrong, they are soft tires, and need a lot of camber and a wider rim. But in the absence of that I would try 38-40 psi.

I did 225/40-18 on 18x8 with 2.1 camber and used 38 hot. For me ~4 days would be tops for A052s. Now I am trying the rt615k+ to see if that holds better until RS4s show up for sale.
Yeah that’s me!

stock rims are 8” on golf r and I’m running 8.5 width TC105’s. I can’t mount the wheels to stock rims as stockers are 19”

videos coming shortly but yeah will follow yours and Will’s suggestion with 40 psi next event

spaparizos

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport
Yeah that’s me!

stock rims are 8” on golf r and I’m running 8.5 width TC105’s. I can’t mount the wheels to stock rims as stockers are 19”

videos coming shortly but yeah will follow yours and Will’s suggestion with 40 psi next event

Notice in the photo how your front tires are folding a bit compared to your rears. I would be worried on straining the sidewall too much. Bubbles, delamination or cording would come up as concerns as the tires wear down.

I think there is a fast pressure, which probably is 35 that you are running and a "safer" pressure to compensate for the lack of front camber. More pressure would make the tire rounder and help the sidewall. But it is likely that it will also make the tires greasy and times slower.

Curious to hear what you find out next time you are out :)

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Anyone have any experience (or secondhand opinions, or literally any info at all) about the Maxxis Victra VR-1? They are fairly well priced but I’d never heard about them until a few days ago. I do know one person that runs their slick compound on an S2000.

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-513-107-victra-vr-1#
Haven't used them but know a few people who have on track, they generally liked them (RWD cars). If you have an SCCA membership you get 10% off

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I went ahead an ordered the Nexens in 255/35/18. Got them for only $571 shipped. Will report back on my thoughts after my first track day with them.
You'll like them. Good wear and heat characteristics, also really good in the wet.

jdmwol2ks

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI (To be)
FYI RE71Rs and NFERA SUR4G are on close out right now on tire rack. Good deals.

Dang was going to get the falken rt615k+ but the Nexens seems like its in the same price range too. Anybody have experience the two? Which would you rec?

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Dang was going to get the falken rt615k+ but the Nexens seems like its in the same price range too. Anybody have experience the two? Which would you rec?
My nephew runs Falken 615's on his BMW and really likes them. Decent wear, good grip, communicates well, and a very good price.