GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 Golf.....P0016 code being thrown, looking for advice on what Im looking at here....

wazep

Hi, so the problem was one of these solenoids. One responsible for vvt oil feed failed because of little chip in it cousing to malfunction and probably not making cam adjustments as needed. Car was running interesting on idle, like with too much timing advance, rumbling like sports car.
Block 93, showed 0,44 after solenoidwashing so the chain is like new 🙂

Attachments

• received_223899008856252.jpeg
    received_223899008856252.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 569

cutchemist42

Sorry for really late reply. This is still a bad news thread. Took it to a local VW mechanic back in January who determined that I had skipped a tooth and he suspected only the upper chain had stretched. He knows the earlier models had issues on both chains but by 2010, the issues had mostly been sorted out when it came to the lower chain.

We replaced every component on the upper chain and considering the costs, I wish I had just replaced the engine.

About 9000 kms later, the P0016 code has come back with the extended crank problem again. About 2 weeks prior, a sputtering start problem happened where it sputter on first try than die, than start fine on 2nd time. After a while, the problem went away before I started thinking of checking fuel problems. This problem produced no CEL.

Before the p0016 code came back....a p0011 code appears for over advanced camshaft.

I still have not taken it back to the mechanic, it's been parked for about 14 days now.

Dont know what to think...maybe the lower chain needed to be done as well in the end as I dont think an upper chain would already stretch and skip a tooth after 9000kms? Is islt possible for the bottom chain to skip then?

I will go back to the same mechanic, and hear what he says but I might have to make some hard decisions on this car soon.

I might try to clean the oil control solenoid and see if that helps.

Last edited:

wazep

Sorry for really late reply. This is still a bad news thread. Took it to a local VW mechanic back in January who determined that I had skipped a tooth and he suspected only the upper chain had stretched. He knows the earlier models had issues on both chains but by 2010, the issues had mostly been sorted out when it came to the lower chain.

We replaced every component on the upper chain and considering the costs, I wish I had just replaced the engine.

About 9000 kms later, the P0016 code has come back with the extended crank problem again. About 2 weeks prior, a sputtering start problem happened where it sputter on first try than die, than start fine on 2nd time. After a while, the problem went away before I started thinking of checking fuel problems. This problem produced no CEL.

Before the p0016 code came back....a p0011 code appears for over advanced camshaft.

I still have not taken it back to the mechanic, it's been parked for about 14 days now.

Dont know what to think...maybe the lower chain needed to be done as well in the end as I dont think an upper chain would already stretch and skip a tooth after 9000kms? Is islt possible for the bottom chain to skip then?

I will go back to the same mechanic, and hear what he says but I might have to make some hard decisions on this car soon.

Hi, please check, remove and clean these solenoids.

Attachments

• received_155015985845976.jpeg
    received_155015985845976.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 149
  • received_169552277504333.jpeg
    received_169552277504333.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 157
    53 KB · Views: 225

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I can't see chain stretch causing this, ... did he replace the Chain Tensioners? If the chain tensioners is not holding and the chain skips it could show up as chain stretch. It wouldn't be the first time that VW chain Tensioners have failed just ask the GTI guys.

cutchemist42

I can't see chain stretch causing this, ... did he replace the Chain Tensioners? If the chain tensioners is not holding and the chain skips it could show up as chain stretch. It wouldn't be the first time that VW chain Tensioners have failed just ask the GTI guys.

Only the upper was replaced. I'm pretty sure the transmission needs to be dropped to be able to change anything involving the lower chain/guides/lower tensioner?

cutchemist42

You can buy a good running 2.5 07K engine for only a few hundred bucks, just sayin.... .

If I knew the attempted repair would have failed so quickly, I would have gone that route. I trusted the mechanical opinion based on work recommendations.

I think I'd be in better shape if I had gone the engine route.

However dont take this as argumentative, but the cheapest salvage engine is still about $650 Canadian. Is there a cheaper option for engines?

Last edited:

wazep

Hi, did you tried to remove these solenoids and clean them up? One is responsible for
oil pressure to vvt system. If its stuck, intake cam is out of sync and you get this p0016 code.

Attachments

53 KB · Views: 118
  • received_169552277504333.jpeg
    received_169552277504333.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 111
  • received_155015985845976.jpeg
    received_155015985845976.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 109

cutchemist42

Just to update, removed the solenoids for cleaning it and it made no difference. Bench tested the oil control solenoid and it was moving fine.

The shop is busy so cant get the car in until Aug 19th. He sounded surprised I was phoning about the same issue 10,000kms later. Will post an update later at that time.