GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 S302 vs. 2005 S281 vs. 2013 V6 Vert

KOA789

Go Kart Champion
So, this is what I drive right now.

It's a 2011 GT with some mods. I've been itching for a new car lately, and I've run into a dilemma. I can either trade my GT in for a 2011 S302, keep the 2011 and get an 05 Saleen S281, or keep the 2011 and get a 2013 V6 convertible.

This is the S302. It's a 1 of 1 car as it was made for SEMA by Saleen themselves and it has a Ford Racing blower on it, as well as every single Saleen option available on the cars at the time. It's #37 out of the total production (less than 50 total) and the only white 6 speed convertible. The car is amazing, but it's pricey, plus I would lose a bit of money on my car, even though it's paid off. It would also necessitate me buying a second car as a daily, since I wouldn't want to put too many miles on a car that rare, and it would probably get driven less than 800 miles a year.

My second option is one of these two bad boys. The first is just a base S281 3V. I'd keep my 2011 as a daily, and just drive the Saleen maybe once every 2 weeks or so. I've always loved the S281 design, much more so then the current Mustangs. I'm trying to decide between the S281 3-Valve (base car offered I think they made 945 of them) and a S281 S/C Convertible (made only 79).

This is the S281 S/C I'm considering. It's a bit rarer, and it's supercharged, plus it's got more options then the base 3-Valve.

The third option, and one I just started considering today, was just to get a 2013 Convertible. Keep it mostly stock except for some suspension and wheels, and use it as a daily and my road trip car. I would get it in an auto with the 2.73 gear option so it wouldn't do too bad on gas mileage. I'd still keep the 2011 and probably strip the interior, build the motor, do a watts link, and run R-Comp tires on it and beat the hell out of it at the track. I'd get the V6 either in black, red, or gotta have it green.

Any suggestions or input on something I'm missing here? I'm in no rush, but I'm worried the Saleens will be sold if I take too long. I can always get a V6 whenever, they are everywhere.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
Is insurance on two cars a concern?

Unless you put a roll bar in most tracks (or HPDE coordinators) won't let you on track with a vert, period. So if tracking is something you want to do, keep that in mind.

I'm not a huge fan of the Saleen cars especially the older ones considering the chassis/motor upgrades your 2011 has.

It seems for some reason you want a topless car, why have two Mustangs? Why not get something else for dd/topless driving?

KOA789

Go Kart Champion
Is insurance on two cars a concern?

Unless you put a roll bar in most tracks (or HPDE coordinators) won't let you on track with a vert, period. So if tracking is something you want to do, keep that in mind.

I'm not a huge fan of the Saleen cars especially the older ones considering the chassis/motor upgrades your 2011 has.

It seems for some reason you want a topless car, why have two Mustangs? Why not get something else for dd/topless driving?

Insurance on two cars is not a concern. I thought about picking up an A4 Cabriolet or a newer TT as a daily driver, but something about the S281 cars keeps drawing me to them. I know they don't handle as well as the current 2011+ Mustangs, but I have always wanted one, even if it's slower then what I got now. It wouldn't see any track use anyways.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
Good advice, I'll go look at some A4/A5/TTs tomorrow.

I just think if you're itching for something new a different version of the same car is a band-aid. At the same time I feel like you've fallen in love with your Mustang. With a different DD it can become more of a project and that might renew your passion in it as well.

Are you looking for new or used?

KOA789

Go Kart Champion
I just think if you're itching for something new a different version of the same car is a band-aid. At the same time I feel like you've fallen in love with your Mustang. With a different DD it can become more of a project and that might renew your passion in it as well.

Are you looking for new or used?

I think you're right. I'm looking to stay under 30k, so definitely used. I found a few 2010 A5s with low miles that fit the bill, but I wouldn't mind saving 10-12k and going with an 09 A4 either.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
I think you're right. I'm looking to stay under 30k, so definitely used. I found a few 2010 A5s with low miles that fit the bill, but I wouldn't mind saving 10-12k and going with an 09 A4 either.

Get the A4. It's pretty much the same car, way better value, and 4-dr to offset the Mustang. And obviously for either the 2.0t is tunable if that's a route you want to go. After you drive em you'll know if you want one or not.

KOA789

Go Kart Champion
Get the A4. It's pretty much the same car, way better value, and 4-dr to offset the Mustang. And obviously for either the 2.0t is tunable if that's a route you want to go. After you drive em you'll know if you want one or not.

I'm getting a Vert. I do a lot of road trips throughout the year, and a lot of them are to Southern and Northern California, so I definitely something with a drop top. Don't have a family yet and nothing on the horizon, so a 4 door is not really a necessity right now. Good advice. I'll check some stuff out tomorrow for sure and see how I feel about these things. My buddy who owned an 05 Saleen S281 told me I will be disappointed with the car in both terms of power and handling compared to my GT, but he told me to go and take them for a spin anyways.

Vash

Passed Driver's Ed
That S302 is tits. I would have a hard time walking away from that one.

Throw a blower on your 5.0 (an entirely new beast) and get an A5 Cabrio.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
I'm getting a Vert. I do a lot of road trips throughout the year, and a lot of them are to Southern and Northern California, so I definitely something with a drop top. Don't have a family yet and nothing on the horizon, so a 4 door is not really a necessity right now. Good advice. I'll check some stuff out tomorrow for sure and see how I feel about these things. My buddy who owned an 05 Saleen S281 told me I will be disappointed with the car in both terms of power and handling compared to my GT, but he told me to go and take them for a spin anyways.

If you ever want some good NorCal driving roads let me know!

What about a 370Z? I hate to say it but the best car for this really is the 335 hardtop vert. Even a 328 (more reliable).

KOA789

Go Kart Champion
That S302 is tits. I would have a hard time walking away from that one.

Throw a blower on your 5.0 (an entirely new beast) and get an A5 Cabrio.

I was either going to do the ProCharger on it, or do the AED short block and build it from there. There is a few guys with over 500rwhp and N/A right now over on the forums and it's about the same cost as a blower, and the engine sounds amazing at 8k.

If you ever want some good NorCal driving roads let me know!

What about a 370Z? I hate to say it but the best car for this really is the 335 hardtop vert. Even a 328 (more reliable).

Dude hells yes I will let you know! I love California, and NorCal even more, especially Pacific Grove and Monterey. I honestly just want a nice, reliable vert at this point. I drove an A4 Cabrio today, and it was nice, but after driving an A5 last year, I think I would have to go A5 or 3 series BMW. There is a few affordable BMWs around here, I'll go look at them this week.

Thanks for the input guys, it's greatly appreciated.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
I was either going to do the ProCharger on it, or do the AED short block and build it from there. There is a few guys with over 500rwhp and N/A right now over on the forums and it's about the same cost as a blower, and the engine sounds amazing at 8k.

Dude hells yes I will let you know! I love California, and NorCal even more, especially Pacific Grove and Monterey. I honestly just want a nice, reliable vert at this point. I drove an A4 Cabrio today, and it was nice, but after driving an A5 last year, I think I would have to go A5 or 3 series BMW. There is a few affordable BMWs around here, I'll go look at them this week.

Thanks for the input guys, it's greatly appreciated.

I live about 1 hour north of PG/Monterey.