GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 Ford Focus ST: First Drive

C4L

Banned

This has been discussed quite extensively here but yes, Ford benchmarked the GTI for testing of the ST...

Renault Megane RS is the other car shown on the far left

SRT2GTI

Banned
I wish they would show a couple of different colors...I hate that yellow.

krische

vdubber in training
I wish they would show a couple of different colors...I hate that yellow.

And those seats! If they were just black all around, I think they would look great, or maybe a subtle dark grey. But I don't like that yellow in the seats.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Kudos to Ford, this looks pretty well executed and thought out. Definitely looking for more reviews on it and of course - the comparison times against a GTI on a track, etc.

For the money, its definitely got the right numbers, etc. I dont mind the looks, except for the lower grille on the front end, and everything else im ok with sans the body colored seat inserts, lol.

SRT2GTI

Banned
And those seats! If they were just black all around, I think they would look great, or maybe a subtle dark grey. But I don't like that yellow in the seats.

I agree. the seats themselves are cool, but the yellow accents are hideous. If the seat was black or grey leather throughout, they would look so much better. It's like Ford is trying very hard to be ricer.

krische

vdubber in training
I agree. the seats themselves are cool, but the yellow accents are hideous. If the seat was black or grey leather throughout, they would look so much better. It's like Ford is trying very hard to be ricer.

Yep, I assume the accent color is meant to match the exterior body color. So maybe if you get a black car, the seats will be black too.

krische

vdubber in training
I think the color-matched seat accents are optional, you can get plain black.

I'm looking forward to testing one out at the event in NY this Saturday, should be fun.

You'll have to let us know how it compares to the GTI.

C4L

Banned
Yep, I assume the accent color is meant to match the exterior body color. So maybe if you get a black car, the seats will be black too.

There are three seat/interior options in the US for the ST;

Base Cloth Seats
- Black w/ Gray Bolsters

Partial Leather Recaro Seats
- Black w/ Black Leather Bolsters
- Black w/ Yellow Leather Bolsters
- Black w/ Blue Leather Bolsters

Full Leather Recaro
- ALL Black Full Leather ONLY

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
I'll be there this Saturday too to abuse this thing. I'll try to bang out a good writeup of my thoughts on the car compared to the GTI. I'm signed up for the 10:00 AM slot so hopefully I'll be the first one to abuse the car. I can imagine that the clutches and brakes will be SHOT by the end of the day.

My buddy is signed up for this thing too, and he's never driven a manual transmission before, so I pity the fool that gets the car after him.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I'll be there this Saturday too to abuse this thing. I'll try to bang out a good writeup of my thoughts on the car compared to the GTI. I'm signed up for the 10:00 AM slot so hopefully I'll be the first one to abuse the car. I can imagine that the clutches and brakes will be SHOT by the end of the day.

My buddy is signed up for this thing too, and he's never driven a manual transmission before, so I pity the fool that gets the car after him.

I unfortunately have a 3 hour drive to get out there and will be out late the night before so am signed up for 1 or 2 PM, we'll see what's left for me :lol:

My girlfriend also signed up and she has a grand total of 5 minutes experience driving a manual :yikes:

I don't know how much of a comparison I'll really be able to make anyway, though, since I haven't gotten my GTI out to a track day yet. I need to fix that.

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Motor Trend just posted their test on it also. I think it's worn out already! They cant break 6 sec 0-60.

I've worked for a Ford dealer for 15 years (now a city worker) and am still disappointed.

C4L

Banned
Motor Trend just posted their test on it also. I think it's worn out already! They cant break 6 sec 0-60.

I've worked for a Ford dealer for 15 years (now a city worker) and am still disappointed.

That was a 'First Drive' NOT a 'First Test'. The 6.4 0-60 figure I THINK you are referring to is the Mfr. Est.

VW, for example, lists the GTI at 6.7 0-60. MT has achieved anywhere from 5.8-6.1 from the car. The slowest time for any 18" equipped GTi (std. since 2011) is 6.4 with a manual on A/S rubber.

I expect the ST to run right with a Speed3/GTI. Figure 5.6-6.2 range or so.