GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 Radiator/Sensor Replacement?

Cisco Kid

Ready to race!
Hi Forum,

I have a 2013 GTI Autobahn-bought it new. It has 52K miles on it.
My engine light appeared, and it was overheating. Dealer says it’s radiator sensor, and that it must include new radiator.

Their quote to repair is $1,300.00

Is this true that u have to replace the entire radiator, just to fix the sensor? Thanks crew!

Cisco Kid

Ready to race!
I just checked the price online. I think I can buy the sensor for under $40. Is a completely new radiator necessary? Sounds fishy to me. Thanks in advance.

TroyBoy

Go Kart Newbie
Which sensor is it? If it is the one connected to the radiator that amount sounds too low. There are quite a few posts on this topic and I have read where others have paid around the same price. I believe the radiator can be had for around $400ish.

What is the engine code?

Cisco Kid

Ready to race!
Wow…I don’t know how to find the engine code. But the dealer is telling me that the radiator and sensor all comes in one piece. Since I posted above, I see YouTube videos where they just replace the sensor, and don’t have to replace the entire radiator.

TroyBoy

Go Kart Newbie
That is mostly correct AFAIK. I ran across a thread mentioning Mercedes has a sensor for a buck fifty. I am facing the same issue. I purchased the car for my wife two months ago and have a code (will update with the code currently in a conf call)
To obtain a code you can purchase a cheap scanner or even go to Autozone or wherever and scan it to verify.

My understanding - Replacing the sensor has to be done correctly the first time when sticking on due to some Ozone coating blah blah. This is one reason a lot of peeps replace the entire radiator and honestly can't hurt / preemptive when the miles start getting higher - Required? Not really
Search google or this forum and you will find the details.

Cisco Kid

Ready to race!
Thanks for your speedy reply! Car at dealership now. I was going to take it to a smaller shop nearby-NOT a dealership. How do I find the engine code? Obviously I’m not a mechanic, but I love my car! Thanks in advance. I’m going now to get car, will look to find the engine
Code as well. Thanks!

TroyBoy

Go Kart Newbie
Sure! That is one of the purposes of the forum, we help eachother.

If you start working on your car you will appreciate it much more and develop a strong bond. Investing your time is beneficial to you from cost perspective and also learning and the convenience of not having to take the car to someone every time you need work, or mod it or whatever.
Does it always go as planned or how we think? Ahhh heck no! But it is very gratifying.

If not with this repair then start on something smaller. What I will say is there is a wealth of information on this forum and so many you tubes. Also you may be able to find someone to work on the car in the regional forums.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
You can replace just the sensor if you can find it. I don't think he sells it separately but maybe there's an aftermarket somewhere. Either way radiators are cheap. It's for a CBFA engine code, CCTA doesn't have a sensor on the radiator. $1300 is ridiculous though. It takes about an hour to replace.

TroyBoy

Go Kart Newbie
Okay thought so thanks. No big deal but to clarify one hour is if you are experienced.
Maybe I will hunt for the sensor instead of resetting the light every few days

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
You can replace just the sensor if you can find it. I don't think he sells it separately but maybe there's an aftermarket somewhere. Either way radiators are cheap. It's for a CBFA engine code, CCTA doesn't have a sensor on the radiator. $1300 is ridiculous though. It takes about an hour to replace.
Not hard to find, just a little work to replace the connector with the VW one from the old sensor.

It's a G611 sensor, Mercedes part #221905560080. Can be found on Ebay, FCP Euro, even directly from Merc.

Cisco Kid

Ready to race!
Yes, thanks. I wasn’t contemplating working on it myself. I’m out of town , and not prepared to work in it. As of now, I told them to do it this morning. They say they won’t start working on it till Tuesday. I’m pretty irritated about it all at present, and thinking of canceling them at this late date, and bringing it to another smaller local shop that’s around. He can’t take it till Tuesday either.

Dealer already charged me $150 to diagnose it. I don’t know what they’ll say if I cancel the order now.

Anyway, thanks guys, I appreciate it.