GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

22-23 differences

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
I can't find definitive info on differences (if any) between '22 and '23. I know that there was a change from matte to gloss shifter surround. Any differences in the infotainment and/or technology?

I looked at a '22 that had the sensor/assist errors. Loved the car otherwise. Was that fixed in '23? Or is the solution simply a new steering wheel?

Last edited:

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
What country will you be buying in? Many of the changes are country-specific, in the sense that the importers in various countries specify what "packages" they want the vehicle to come with, and what options they will not make available in their country.

In overall terms, I don't think there have been any significant changes in the Golf 8 since the new model was introduced a few years ago. VW had a lot of problems with the sensors & electronics in the steering wheel not detecting that the driver was holding the steering wheel, and this resulted in a lot of steering wheels of early production cars being replaced - sometimes several times - but by now they seem to have solved that problem for 2024 production.

Michael

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
What country will you be buying in? Many of the changes are country-specific, in the sense that the importers in various countries specify what "packages" they want the vehicle to come with, and what options they will not make available in their country.
U.S.
In overall terms, I don't think there have been any significant changes in the Golf 8 since the new model was introduced a few years ago. VW had a lot of problems with the sensors & electronics in the steering wheel not detecting that the driver was holding the steering wheel, and this resulted in a lot of steering wheels of early production cars being replaced - sometimes several times - but by now they seem to have solved that problem for 2024 production.
So does that mean all the steering wheel replacements that are ordered now will fix the issue?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
U.S.

So does that mean all the steering wheel replacements that are ordered now will fix the issue?

There are a few mk8 Golf R owners over on vwroc.com forum who are on either their second or third steering wheel.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
There are a few mk8 Golf R owners over on vwroc.com forum who are on either their second or third steering wheel.
But is that people who started getting the fix last year? I'm curious if it's finally worked out and all the new wheels will be a successful fix.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
But is that people who started getting the fix last year? I'm curious if it's finally worked out and all the new wheels will be a successful fix.
Sorry, no idea.