GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printer & C.A.D. Thread

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
If you buy an OE Prusa enclosure they have you mount the PS on the outside. Probably just to be on the safe side.

View attachment 289401

My printed solid enclosure that has everything inside it has been great but I have not done any prints longer than 5-6 hours in it. Will it shorten the lifespan of the PS? Possibly, they don’t like heat. Am I worried enough to move it outside the enclosure, no.
The Meanwell PS are pretty stout. It seems like the firmware ramps up the fan pretty early on, so I figure if heat gets to be an issue it will just shut off anyways. I don’t like using an enclosure, mostly because I find it a PITA more than anything.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
That would be rad.
I can print it for you and ship it for a small fee.

Mine is inside the enclosure but if you buy a prusa enclosure they have you move it to the outside. On long prints everything does get hot so maybe if you are doing 8+ hour prints with 110 degree bed temps it would matter.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
That would be rad.

Printing it now in ABS. I’ll PM you if it turns out good. Looked like a decent file.

IMG_0833.jpeg

dtfd

Autocross Champion
I got my printer working again......I feel like half of this hobby is just fiddling with the damn thing to get it to work properly.

The other half is learning CAD...which I haven't REALLY started on.

Any recommendations for how/where to start outside of what I've been doing? (Downloading fusion360 and watching YouTube tutorials)

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Everyone's been quiet lately. Anything new?

Still building my Mercury One.1. Really taking the time to do things right. All the while still learning to tune for ASA, which I think I’m pretty good now.

IMG_6895.jpeg

IMG_6920.jpeg

IMG_6941.jpeg

I got my printer working again......I feel like half of this hobby is just fiddling with the damn thing to get it to work properly.

The other half is learning CAD...which I haven't REALLY started on.

Any recommendations for how/where to start outside of what I've been doing? (Downloading fusion360 and watching YouTube tutorials)
It can be. Honestly, it’s the best way to learn with it. You will know exactly what’s wrong when it happens. Considering the car hobby the fun part is fiddling with it, I don’t really mind on the printer side.

That’s how I did it, different software. I started with simple models and as I got to a point where they required special skills with certain features YT and Wiki were big helps. I am still scratching the surface, but that’s fine since it works for me.

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
I started out with Tinkercad and I still use it a lot. I've been wanting to try Fusion 360 but I run Ubuntu at home so no go yet. I started out with simple shapes by reading tutorials and watching videos just like you're doing. I'm a real hands on kind of person so I like to try out what I just learned or try it out as I learn. There's no right or wrong way, just the way that's best for you.

Still building my Mercury One.1. Really taking the time to do things right. All the while still learning to tune for ASA, which I think I’m pretty good now.
That looks outstanding! What's the build volume? Did you post a build sheet/specs and I missed it?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I started with Tinkercad as well but was frustrated with its limitations so I watched a Teaching Tech video on the different CAD programs and decided on Onshape.

Practice, practice, practice. Printables has a contest every month if you need some ideas on stuff to design so you can practice.

EERF is this weekend. I’ll be going Sunday to check it out.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
IMG_1049.jpeg

Made it

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
I started out with Tinkercad and I still use it a lot. I've been wanting to try Fusion 360 but I run Ubuntu at home so no go yet. I started out with simple shapes by reading tutorials and watching videos just like you're doing. I'm a real hands on kind of person so I like to try out what I just learned or try it out as I learn. There's no right or wrong way, just the way that's best for you.

That looks outstanding! What's the build volume? Did you post a build sheet/specs and I missed it?
Sorry missed this completely. Build volume is stock Ender 5 Pro. So 235x235x250(?) I may try to up it with a CR10 bed down the road. I don’t know if I posted it, but will be more than happy to again.

-Orbiter 2.0 extruder with FRS and Turbiter mod
-Phaetus Rapido 2
-BTT EBB36 toolhead board
-Klicky probe
-HoneyBadger linear rails
-HoneyBadger Nema 17 steppers for A and B motors
-Meanwell PSU
-Manta M8P main board with TMC2209 drivers
-E5P Super Strut bed supports are also done

I may try to do dual Z since I have the extra driver ports. Hydra (ZeroG’s tri axis bed leveling system) isn’t even a consideration since the bed is so heavy it really seems to struggle in an E5P.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
I forgot to post the few pics from ERRF I took.
IMG_6958.jpeg

IMG_6959.jpeg
IMG_6961.jpeg
IMG_6963.jpeg
IMG_2962.jpeg
IMG_2957.jpeg

The show was a blast. It really had that vibe like the old horror conventions I use to attend. Really community driven and just lots to see. Now that it is rebranded 3D Printopia I hope it doesn’t lose that charm. I managed to talk to Scott from Edge of 3D, Jim from Edge of Tech, Chris from Chris’ Basement and a few others. Really cool people. Josef Prusa was there, but as expected was mobbed.

Bought a bunch of filament and my wife who went just so I would have someone to go with had fun.

Unfortunately we hit a deer in her 4600 mile GLI Autobahn on the way home. I’ll spare you the carnage. $10k in damage. The immediate repairs were drivers hood, fender, grill, fascia and headlight. It was a huge doe. I would say every bit of 400-500 pounds. Car took it like a champ. While we realized we hit the deer, the car just crumpled. I’m actually still very impressed by this. There was no jarring of the wheel or even any energy transfer into the cabin. Pretty amazing. She should hopefully have her car back by the end of next week.

Attachments

• IMG_6960.jpeg
    IMG_6960.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 135

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Unfortunately we hit a deer in her 4600 mile GLI Autobahn on the way home. I’ll spare you the carnage. $10k in damage. The immediate repairs were drivers hood, fender, grill, fascia and headlight. It was a huge doe. I would say every bit of 400-500 pounds. Car took it like a champ. While we realized we hit the deer, the car just crumpled. I’m actually still very impressed by this. There was no jarring of the wheel or even any energy transfer into the cabin. Pretty amazing. She should hopefully have her car back by the end of next week.
Man... I'm sorry to hear that it was a more expensive trip than what you planned for but glad to hear y'all are ok. I remember when my dad hit a buck in his 74 T-bird. Even on an all metal car, it was surprising the amount of damage an animal can do.

The show looks like it was a real blast though.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Man... I'm sorry to hear that it was a more expensive trip than what you planned for but glad to hear y'all are ok. I remember when my dad hit a buck in his 74 T-bird. Even on an all metal car, it was surprising the amount of damage an animal can do.

The show looks like it was a real blast though.
Thanks, but like you said we were ok. My wife was more upset about killing a deer. We were able to drive the car home, so that was a plus as we were still 60+ miles from home.

It was a ton of fun. I posted the following on Discord, but feel it bears repeating:

This was my first 3D printing event ever. It was a ton fun. Many years ago I used to do 5 horror conventions a year. They were all similar but different always a lot of fun. It was a great way to meet celebrities and chat with them and find obscure films and items too. All in all a great place to gather with like minded people.

Over the years, they became celebrity meet and greet mills. Long gone are the $20 entrance fees and random celebrity encounters. Everything is very structured and inorganic. They aren’t fun anymore. Used to be you could walk up to a celebrity shake their hand, ask them all the crazy questions you wanted to, get a picture and see someone else. Now you pay $30-$40 to get in and $200 to get a picture with a celebrity no chatting really.

ERRF has a lot of the feel that I missed in the horror cons. You’re packed in like sardines, bumping into each other and just having a blast. I really hope these Fests stay this way, it was great to have that vibe again.