GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

About time to replace the tahoe

VWTN

Ready to race!
A week ago we got our GTI. We were a 1 car family for about 8months and it actually worked better than expected. However, the kids are starting school in the fall and we needed to get a second vehicle as our lives are becoming a bit more hectic. We had 2 suvs but I sold 1 as it was nothing but a PITA.

We have a previous gen tahoe and the GTI currently. I need to replace the tahoe as it's got 155k on the ticker and it's 2WD. We are moving to TN this year and I would like to have at least one 4wd vehicle in the household.

We really like the 2011 JGC Hemi with Quadra Drive II. This gets me the tow rating I might occasionally need, relative luxury, and strong offroad abilities. If this JGC stays with the depreciation plan JGC normally follow, I should be able to pick up an 11 this winter for a substantial discount.

Our second option is a current gen tahoe. Probably an 07-09. It has relatively good gas mileage for a vehicle of it's size (same as the JGC actually), strong tow ratings and is it at least able to get off the road in most mild terrain. it's also a measure larger than the JGC. We've spent some time in the current gen platform as a few of our family members have current gen chevy trucks. (Escalade and Avalanche)

The long shot is an 08 H2. This is simply a "I want" choice. It's mere coincidence it has the all the other features I'm looking for. :laugh:

What I'm looking for is first hand experience with the WK2 JGC platform or perhaps your argument for another vehicle not mentioned. I've considered every vehicle in the segment (I'm an over analytical serial researcher) but it's possible I've missed something. Thanks.

Vermilion

Ready to race!
Golf R

DaWoLF

Ready to race!
Have you thought about the ridgeline? I worked with a Repo company down here in south florida and we came across a 2010 Ridgeline and the deal was so good (bank payout) that we stuck a boom to the rear and used it as our spotter car. The mileage and towing ability on the vehicle was remarkable and we manage to put 84k in less then a year and even with all the dogging us towers give it , it has held up so great. Big 4 doors for an entire family to sit, the bed for moving and towing and the v6 that can stand with our 4500s. Some food for thought. Not an SUV but its practically similar lol

VWTN

Ready to race!
Have you thought about the ridgeline? I worked with a Repo company down here in south florida and we came across a 2010 Ridgeline and the deal was so good (bank payout) that we stuck a boom to the rear and used it as our spotter car. The mileage and towing ability on the vehicle was remarkable and we manage to put 84k in less then a year and even with all the dogging us towers give it , it has held up so great. Big 4 doors for an entire family to sit, the bed for moving and towing and the v6 that can stand with our 4500s. Some food for thought. Not an SUV but its practically similar lol

No I haven't. I never could take those truck seriously. Perhaps that's ignorance or maybe even arrogance but I've never even sat in one. I'll check it out. They're a bit small though aren't they? Somewhere around Tacoma size?

DaWoLF

Ready to race!
well depends on whats small to you lol My partner at work is 6"2 and close to 300 pounds because hes a gym nut and he was pretty comfortable in it when he takes naps lol To me , i haven't seen a new Tacoma but their bigger then the older tacomas for sure. I previously had a New 2011 Yukon for a rental and fell in love. 600 miles to a full tank because it has the eco fuel crap was nice. The price sucks to buy but love the power and feel.

VWTN

Ready to race!
well depends on whats small to you lol My partner at work is 6"2 and close to 300 pounds because hes a gym nut and he was pretty comfortable in it when he takes naps lol To me , i haven't seen a new Tacoma but their bigger then the older tacomas for sure. I previously had a New 2011 Yukon for a rental and fell in love. 600 miles to a full tank because it has the eco fuel crap was nice. The price sucks to buy but love the power and feel.

Not enough power. Not enough towing capacity. Lackluster fuel economy given it's size and lack of ability. Pass.

I'll wait on the 2012 JGC to come out and see what I can pick up and 11 for, if I decide to go that route. I believe the change for 2012 is a 6spd so we will have to see if that makes a big impact or not.

In the mean time, I'll continue looking for the right Tahoe.... or the 08h2........ :p

VWTN

Ready to race!
Forgot to mention, FJ cruiser has been on the list this entire time as well. My single hangup with the FJ cruiser is its price relative to the other 2. Great vehicle, without doubt, and possibly the most capable but a bit down on features when compared to the Tahoe at similar prices. Speaking of used vehicle prices, of course.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
We have had a 2011 Jeep GC Overland 4x4 with Hemi for a year now and we LOVE it! Ours has all the goodies except the QuadraLift system which we'll never need anyway. A recent trip from KC to AL and back for vacation got us anywhere from 19-23.5 mpg depending on terrain and temps. Not bad for a V8 loaded down with gear, three adults, and two kiddos. The GC is a blast to drive and surprisingly nimble for such a beast. I had loads of fun through the winding hills of The Ozarks on the way home. Remember that the new GC shares it's platform with the new MB ML, that is the ONLY reason I even wanted to look at it. MB's influence can be seen throughout the GC even the interior. The suspension is spot on just like a MB or Rover. My only complaint is the nav system which is entirely too hard to use, it is the only thing that resembles a Chrysler product! Go test drive a new GC, you will fall in love.

VWTN

Ready to race!
We have had a 2011 Jeep GC Overland 4x4 with Hemi for a year now and we LOVE it! Ours has all the goodies except the QuadraLift system which we'll never need anyway. A recent trip from KC to AL and back for vacation got us anywhere from 19-23.5 mpg depending on terrain and temps. Not bad for a V8 loaded down with gear, three adults, and two kiddos. The GC is a blast to drive and surprisingly nimble for such a beast. I had loads of fun through the winding hills of The Ozarks on the way home. Remember that the new GC shares it's platform with the new MB ML, that is the ONLY reason I even wanted to look at it. MB's influence can be seen throughout the GC even the interior. The suspension is spot on just like a MB or Rover. My only complaint is the nav system which is entirely too hard to use, it is the only thing that resembles a Chrysler product! Go test drive a new GC, you will fall in love.

Thanks for the info. I've driven both v6 and v8. I definitely like the vehicle. Amazingly plush not only for a chrysler product but simply in general.

That being said, I've recently started thinking it's a bit too pretty for my use. I don't want the vehicle's looks/condition to come into play when I need to get somewhere, if that makes sense. :lol: It's great to say "where do I need to go? Oh, over that log, through that river, across that field, into the mud hole and turn left? Thanks! (stomp on the gas and get on with it)". While I have zero doubt the jeep could do that and more, it's just so darn pretty, it's almost a shame to do so. Nuts, I know. :eek:

We've always owned a respectable vehicle (one you wouldn't mind showing up at the valet with) and then my vehicle which is more utilitarian. For example, I'd run steelies and not care that it was washed less than 4 times a year.

The GTI presents a unique situation. While it's definitely a nice car, I think it would be a stretch, if not totally inaccurate to call it a luxury car. There is absolutely no problem with that. I fricken love the car. It's also the smallest car we've ever owned so the family hauler task still needs filled. While the GTI is large enough to do the family hauler task, we'd rather have a larger vehicle as it's inherently more comfortable. I remember as a kid, before SUVs existed, my family of 5 would take road trips in midsize cars. It was absolutely miserable.

So, the family hauler task is left to the vehicle I purchase. This runs contrary to what I want in a vehicle which is, as I mentioned, utilitarian and tough as nails. I'll mostly likely ruin something like the FJ with all the off road bits that I'll convince myself I need. Having done a road trip in a modded jeep and a modded chevy truck (lift, big tires etc) it just plain sucks.

Wrapping up my rambling: The Jeep is capable, comfortable and plush, thus accomplishing part of the utilitarian side of the coin and the full monty for the family hauler. The FJ is utilitarian, capable, and comfortable (until I F it up with toys) thus checking of the capability box but only partially tackling the family hauler task.

Right or wrong, this is the current state of my indecision.

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Toureg, Diesel...would be my choice. Good fuel economy and good tow rating. really nice interior... price would be the separator, but if you can find a good used low mileage one I would jump on it.

P

plac

no interest in the 2012 Wrangler Unlimited with the new Pentastar? too small? too slow?

Wicked2

Passed Driver's Ed
Toyota Sequoia (previous gen. 2005)... Not the HP of a hemi but it's a very capable off roader with plenty of pulling power and more interior room than anything in it's class. Sealed transmission too... Mine has 125k miles and drives like new. You couldn't pry it out of cold dead hands. ;)

VWTN

Ready to race!
Toureg, Diesel...would be my choice. Good fuel economy and good tow rating. really nice interior... price would be the separator, but if you can find a good used low mileage one I would jump on it.

Very nice ride but you're right about the $$. Also, owning a German vehicle out of warranty and such...... :mad0259:

no interest in the 2012 Wrangler Unlimited with the new Pentastar? too small? too slow?

I think that motor is going to be fantastic in the wrangler. I don't think it's enough for the JGC though. I think the wrangler unlimited are great but road and wind noise on the highway are truly unbearable. You can't hear the radio and having a phone call is out of the question. There is no reason for Jeep to change those things as that's not what the wrangler is for, however, I need something a tad more civilized. Love the wranglers though.

Toyota Sequoia (previous gen. 2005)... Not the HP of a hemi but it's a very capable off roader with plenty of pulling power and more interior room than anything in it's class. Sealed transmission too... Mine has 125k miles and drives like new. You couldn't pry it out of cold dead hands.

I'm not unfamiliar with these as my mother had either an 05 or 06 but hadn't really considered it as I don't want to go older than 08.

thekaptn

Ready to race!
I had a FJ cruiser before the GTI. I loved it! But for a family, it's not very practical. In fact a week after I bought it I removed the rear seats and just laid them down until the day I traded it for the GTI.

Offroad is amazing, I never got it stuck and I went through some fun stuff. But I also had a 6" lift and 35" tires on it.

The gas mileage was pathetic though (after the lift), I couldn't even make it from Houston to Dallas on a single tank (~250 miles and ~15 Gallon tank).

But getting in out of the back is a little difficult, but I wouldn't know about kids, but my buddies had to squeeze a little to get in/out.

Here is my old ride, the wretched

That's some pics before I did some side steps, roof lights, and other things.

Ultimately, for a family, I wouldn't recommend it. As a toy, definitely.

VWTN

Ready to race!
I had a FJ cruiser before the GTI. I loved it! But for a family, it's not very practical. In fact a week after I bought it I removed the rear seats and just laid them down until the day I traded it for the GTI.

Offroad is amazing, I never got it stuck and I went through some fun stuff. But I also had a 6" lift and 35" tires on it.

The gas mileage was pathetic though (after the lift), I couldn't even make it from Houston to Dallas on a single tank (~250 miles and ~15 Gallon tank).

But getting in out of the back is a little difficult, but I wouldn't know about kids, but my buddies had to squeeze a little to get in/out.

Here is my old ride, the wretched

That's some pics before I did some side steps, roof lights, and other things.

Ultimately, for a family, I wouldn't recommend it. As a toy, definitely.

Thanks for the information. :thumbsup:

My kids are 4 and 1. The 4 year old climbs in the car and her car seat on her own. I just make sure she's fastened and tighten up. Real easy. The 1 year old, obviously, I still have to do it all. Not for too much longer though.

I'd be all over the 4runner but it's pissed me off. Very thin sheet metal. Sounds like you're going to destroy the door when you shut it. Hood shakes at highway speed. Multiple reports of very easily dented body panels. Horrible body roll. And all for a starting price on the Trail Edition of $36000. Very disappointing.