GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Accessories & Gadgets: Must Haves?

JayH04

I’ve had my MK8 R-Line a few days now and I’m in love with it. Glad most of the issues in earlier builds have been mostly ironed out!

I’d like to know what your must have’s are - styling mods, in-car accessories and gadgets etc?

Looking to buy some bits but not sure where to start - What’s your must haves?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I adopt the practical (some might say boring) approach when buying what are must have’s for me. Here are my purchases that I got for my car (not a Golf but a Polo GTI+) either before taking delivery of the car or within the first few weeks;

Touch up paint - this is one of the first things I always buy when getting a new car. With the generally poor state of the UK’s roads and the cheap surface dressing method used to resurface many roads, stone chips are inevitable so it’s more a case of when rather than if they’ll happen and I like to be prepared (the first stone chip on a new car is always the worst). i always check for stone chips as part of my car cleaning regime and if I find any, they get attended to there and then.

Car washing kit - for me, getting a new car is an opportunity to replenish my car washing and detailing supplies, so the car can always be washed using a safe wash technique using decent quality equipment and products. I never entrust washing my car to anyone else, and letting the VW dealer do a complementary service wash is a complete no-no for me; my car deserves better than to get a dealer-inflicted ‘scratch and swirl’ treatment for free!

Floor mats - the standard fit carpet mats get swapped out for rubber mats, which IMHO are much more durable than the rather poor quality standard VW carpet mats. No wet, soggy carpet mats for me during the winter months, and I quite like the utilitarian look of the rubber mats, which are also dead easy to clean.

Boot liner - A good quality boot liner is an early purchase too. I don’t like the flimsy VW foam type boot liners - there are better quality, better value aftermarket boot liners out there.

Mini compressor / tire inflator that‘s powered from the 12v socket. Car tyre pressures should be checked and adjusted when the tyres are cold, so I can check and adjust mine at home, rather than having to drive to the filling station, warming the tyres up on the journey there and then having to use the airline that might not have been tested / recalibrated for accuracy recently.

The expensive one - new alloys and tyres. i dislike diamond cut alloy wheels with a passion because of the poor durability of the lacquered finish and their susceptibility to white worm corrosion when kept on the car all year round. I replaced the diamond cut alloys on my car with a set that has a much more durable powder coated finish that’ll withstand the worst the British weather can throw at them. I also took the opportunity of replacing the ‘hard as nails’ factory fitted Bridgestone tyres with a set of much grippier Michelin PS4 tyres.

gjm

Passed Driver's Ed
Boot liner - A good quality boot liner is an early purchase too. I don’t like the flimsy VW foam type boot liners - there are better quality, better value aftermarket boot liners out there.
Hi SRGTD, Do you have a preferred brand or website for boot liners? Or is it just a matter of picking what looked best and decent from Amazon or eBay?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Hi SRGTD, Do you have a preferred brand or website for boot liners? Or is it just a matter of picking what looked best and decent from Amazon or eBay?

I bought a Novline branded one off eBay - the seller was Driveden who have their own website (driveden.com) but the boot liner for my car was cheaper from their eBay shop - from memory, the Novline liner for my Polo cost around £25 and eBay postage was free.

Important factors for me were;
  • A decent height lip all the way around the edges to contain spillages if I was unfortunate enough to spill anything.
  • an anti-slip surface to minimise the risk of loose items sliding around. The liner I bought had little raised anti-slip oval shapes over the surface with a slightly rough textured surface, and they seem to do a good job of stopping things moving.
Bear in mind that for the mk8 Golf there may be two types of liner offered by most manufacturers - one version for the boot floor in the raised position and the other for the floor in the lower position, so ensure that whichever liner you buy, it’s the correct one for your usual boot floor position.

This is the one I bought;

D05DF928-CD49-46E6-81F3-CA7506C106AB.jpeg

F1559FBB-F22F-431F-99CA-E156BD2BA3A4.jpeg

Reactions: gjm

gjm

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks, when I bought for previous cars the quality is so mixed. For my current Passat estate I purchased the VW carpet one. Carpet one side, plastic/rubber the other side and that had been okay.
I think VW only offer a mat for the top positions for their new cars, so will have to look elsewhere for something that fits nicely in the lower position.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Thanks, when I bought for previous cars the quality is so mixed. For my current Passat estate I purchased the VW carpet one. Carpet one side, plastic/rubber the other side and that had been okay.
I think VW only offer a mat for the top positions for their new cars, so will have to look elsewhere for something that fits nicely in the lower position.
They are available for the lower floor position. Here’s one;

https://www.driveden.com/product/gl...2022-with-lowered-v-11841#product_description

Reactions: gjm

JayH04

I adopt the practical (some might say boring) approach when buying what are must have’s for me. Here are my purchases that I got for my car (not a Golf but a Polo GTI+) either before taking delivery of the car or within the first few weeks;

Touch up paint - this is one of the first things I always buy when getting a new car. With the generally poor state of the UK’s roads and the cheap surface dressing method used to resurface many roads, stone chips are inevitable so it’s more a case of when rather than if they’ll happen and I like to be prepared (the first stone chip on a new car is always the worst). i always check for stone chips as part of my car cleaning regime and if I find any, they get attended to there and then.

Car washing kit - for me, getting a new car is an opportunity to replenish my car washing and detailing supplies, so the car can always be washed using a safe wash technique using decent quality equipment and products. I never entrust washing my car to anyone else, and letting the VW dealer do a complementary service wash is a complete no-no for me; my car deserves better than to get a dealer-inflicted ‘scratch and swirl’ treatment for free!

Floor mats - the standard fit carpet mats get swapped out for rubber mats, which IMHO are much more durable than the rather poor quality standard VW carpet mats. No wet, soggy carpet mats for me during the winter months, and I quite like the utilitarian look of the rubber mats, which are also dead easy to clean.

Mini compressor / tire inflator that‘s powered from the 12v socket. Car tyre pressures should be checked and adjusted when the tyres are cold, so I can check and adjust mine at home, rather than having to drive to the filling station, warming the tyres up on the journey there and then having to use the airline that might not have been tested / recalibrated for accuracy recently.

The expensive one - new alloys and tyres. i dislike diamond cut alloy wheels with a passion because of the poor durability of the lacquered finish and their susceptibility to white worm corrosion when kept on the car all year round. I replaced the diamond cut alloys on my car with a set that has a much more durable powder coated finish that’ll withstand the worst the British weather can throw at them. I also took the opportunity of replacing the ‘hard as nails’ factory fitted Bridgestone tyres with a set of much grippier Michelin PS4 tyres.
Thanks SRGTD for the comprehensive overview!

Never even thought of touch up paint - probably because I’d personally be cautious of touching anything paint in case I ruin it, but it makes sense for tiny imperfections over the years to come - I’ll look into getting some Moonstone Grey. Is there any particular type you would recommend (brush tip or any other available?)

I’ve got a sunglasses clip for the visor as the MK8 doesn’t come with a sunglasses holder (something that did initially bug me). I also bought a micro fibre cleaning kit for the tricky black piano plastic. I would like some paddle extenders but can’t really find any at a reasonable price for the MK8 - not sure if the MK7 ones would fit!?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Thanks SRGTD for the comprehensive overview!

Never even thought of touch up paint - probably because I’d personally be cautious of touching anything paint in case I ruin it, but it makes sense for tiny imperfections over the years to come - I’ll look into getting some Moonstone Grey. Is there any particular type you would recommend (brush tip or any other available?)

I‘ve used touch up paint from various sources over the years - genuine paint from the dealer’s parts department, Chipex kits (quite expensive), and non-branded paint pens from eBay. They’ve all been pretty good in terms of colour match.

Unless the genuine VW paint has changed, it comes in one of those small containers with a brush inside the cap. I always find the supplied brush is far too large to deal with most small paint chips, so there’s a risk of applying too much paint and ending up with an unsightly paint blob where the paint chip was. Far better IMHO to apply the paint either with the end of a cocktail stick or an unfolded paper clip, so you can apply the paint in small quantities and apply it with greater precision to the area you want it.

I find the pen type applicators are better, where you get both an in-cap brush and a small hollow nozzle on the top of the cap (circled in the picture below);

B2CB37D6-F35C-40D6-B0F7-F88A1D64A403.jpeg

this is the non-branded Pure White paint I bought off eBay (it doesn’t look Pure White in the picture because it needs a good shaking up! 😀). I never use the in-cap brush option for the reasons described above - I use the nozzle by removing the clear plastic cap and gently squeezing the (plastic) ‘pen’ to dispense a small amount of paint through the nozzle directly into the stone chip(s). With larger stone chip repairs, IMHO less is more and it’s always better to apply small quantities of paint and gradually build up the paint thickness to fill the stone chip rather than try to fill it in one attempt.

The paint code for Moonstone Grey should be on your car’s data sticker (in the front of your owners manual?). A quick search on the internet suggests it’s code LA7C.
43F9CAB3-4ECB-4919-BEC6-D1DE7E3EA741.jpeg

Golf8

Has anybody bought anything from the in car online shop? Can’t find anywhere online just curious to see what you can actually buy after you’ve had the car? Thanks

TwoSheds

What's available from the We Connect web shop to buy & download is specific to your particular car & build.

For instance on offer in my case is ' Voice Control ' ( 249 UK pounds ) , ' Light Assist ' main beam control system (169 UK pounds), "Amazon Alexa' free, 'Dynamic Background Lighting' ( 35 UK pounds ).

Any of these downloads are available free for a one month trial to see if you find them useful.

I have not downloaded any of these but find the We Connect app features useful for my needs.

TwoSheds

I’ve had my MK8 R-Line a few days now and I’m in love with it. Glad most of the issues in earlier builds have been mostly ironed out!

I’d like to know what your must have’s are - styling mods, in-car accessories and gadgets etc?

Looking to buy some bits but not sure where to start - What’s your must haves?
Not really a styling mod & not a must have but what about a ' Warning Triangle' to fill the gaping slot in the underside of the boot lid.