GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Advice on New York?

Mr Bee

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm going to USA for the first time in September, visiting Washington DC and New York, and have a few questions, either for anyone that's been or for the American members on here.

Is there any areas I should avoid in New York? (is Harlem and Bronx dangerous to be in?)

Shopping or eating out - if say, a burger or a sandwich says $10 on the menu, what do I really pay? - do I need to add 8% sales tax, then the 20% tip, so I actually pay around 30% of listed menu price?

I'm planning on taking a helicopter ride over NYC, there's loads of different operators, can anyone recommend one in particular from experience?

Apparently you can go on a tour inside the White House, but have to apply 6 months in advance for security checks to be done. Have any Brits done this, can 'foreign citizens' do this or is it only for American nationals?

Are the cheap ($30) high up seats at the Yankee stadium OK? - I can't afford $400 for fieldside seats!
There are 4 home games being played while I'm there and I'm told even if not really a sports fan it's still a good experience to go.

Nyanga

Ready to race!
New York is great and safe. You will see more Police on the street corners than in the UK.

All prices are reasonable especially as the £ strengthened over the past two months against the $. You only tip if you receive good service (10-15%).

Go to your local library and take out some 2014 Travel books on NY. They will answer most of your questions. Take the best book with you.

You will love NY.

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Is there any areas I should avoid in New York? (is Harlem and Bronx dangerous to be in?) Unless your going to the ZOO, stay out of the Bronx, not much to see there for tourist(IMO). Harlem and Most of Brooklyn is just fine during the day. I wouldn't go walking around alone at night or anything but you'll be safe.

Shopping or eating out - if say, a burger or a sandwich says $10 on the menu, what do I really pay? - do I need to add 8% sales tax, then the 20% tip, so I actually pay around 30% of listed menu price? The bill will have taxes already added on and you will add a tip if you feel you had good service. I usually tip 20%, maybe higher if exceptional but that's rare. If the service is bad, very low or nothing at all.

I'm planning on taking a helicopter ride over NYC, there's loads of different operators, can anyone recommend one in particular from experience? Cant help with this sorry....

Apparently you can go on a tour inside the White House, but have to apply 6 months in advance for security checks to be done. Have any Brits done this, can 'foreign citizens' do this or is it only for American nationals? To my knowledge anyone can visit but if your not a US citizen you need to contact your embassy for paper work I believe.

Are the cheap ($30) high up seats at the Yankee stadium OK? - I can't afford $400 for fieldside seats! Im a red sox fan so my thoughts are don't go, come to Fenway lol. J/K The atmosphere is electric at Yankee stadium, you will enjoy yourself. Just grab two beers at a time, one for the long walk to your seat and one for when you get there!!

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
i been to new york several times and i live 20 miles away of Washington DC (close to airport actually).

Yes definitely avoid harlem if you're walking, harlem is north of central park if you look on the map; other places to avoid: jamaica queens, bronx and bed sty which is part of brooklyn. For food, you don't necessarily have to tip, 10$ give prob 1.50 or something. If you want to eat good food, go to soho, meatpacking district (although pricy), little italy and chinatown. my personal favorite restaurant in meatpacking is dos caminos, if you're into mexican food; NY tax is more expensive than DC generally. also yankee stadium is outside of manhattan, but i believe $30 may get you in, but you're gonna be farther back, can't speak much of it.

As for DC, places to avoid: U-street area, and don't further past the union station coming from state of virginia (which you will come from if you land in dulles airport), those places are scary. White house 6 month wait is for everyone, but there are plenty of other museums that are neighbors of white house. Good places to go: Georgetown, Waterfront (walking distance), Dupont Circle and so on.

Have fun on your holiday!