GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aggressive wheel fitment thread/stance

ModfydGTI

Ready to race!
225's should squeeze in there okay, its 235+ that you'll have in issue with. Post pictures when she is done!

okcookie

Ready to race!
I will be installing VWR springs and VMR 710 wheels (18x8.5 et 45) on my MKVII GTI. Will be going with Michelin PSS. Can anyone tell me if 235/40 will fit without rubbing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dosa

Passed Driver's Ed
I will be installing VWR springs and VMR 710 wheels (18x8.5 et 45) on my MKVII GTI. Will be going with Michelin PSS. Can anyone tell me if 235/40 will fit without rubbing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be going the same route soon but with vmr 701 wheels with the same offset. I'll be using 225/40/18 though. you should be fine but if you decide to go any lower it might rub. hopefully someone else could verify this.

okcookie

Ready to race!
I'll be going the same route soon but with vmr 701 wheels with the same offset. I'll be using 225/40/18 though. you should be fine but if you decide to go any lower it might rub. hopefully someone else could verify this.

I sent a well respected user on vortex a pm asking the same question. His response was "Oh yea, you'll have plenty of room. I run the same specs but 19" on VWR with a 5mm rear spacer, and still have plenty of room. You'll have no issues!" So, I feel pretty confident about it now and so should you.

dosa

Passed Driver's Ed
I sent a well respected user on vortex a pm asking the same question. His response was "Oh yea, you'll have plenty of room. I run the same specs but 19" on VWR with a 5mm rear spacer, and still have plenty of room. You'll have no issues!" So, I feel pretty confident about it now and so should you.

Awesome. Definitely post some pictures when you get those on. I'd love to see how it looks!

Richard A.

My idea of aggressive wheel fitment

I am a long time autocrosser with lots of experience with coilovers, wide wheels and tires but I do not have a MKVII GTI yet, so I'm researching.

A simple question to start is,

Part 1.
How much clearance is there between the inside of the stock tire sidewalls, on stock rims and the front struts?

Part 2.

How much clearance is there between the inside wheel lip and the front strut or any rear suspension parts?

Part3.

With the steering turned to full lock and stock wheels and tires, how much clearance is there between the edge of the tire tread and the inner most part of the fender liner.

I will most likely want to run 17x9 inch wheels but am open to the possibility of running an 18x9 or 18x9.5, with possible tire sizes of 225/45/17, 235/45/17, 245/40/17, 225/40/18, 235/40/18 or 245/35/18.

Serious autocrossers will want to run a 9 inch wide wheel on a 225/45 tire and the section wdith, of the mounted tire varies, with the wheel width. As and example the 225/45/17 PSS has a section width of 8.9 inches on a 17x7.5 wheel but would have a theoretical section width of 9.5 inches on a 17x9 inch wheel. A 225/40/18 will have a theoretical section width of 8.9 inches on a 7.5 inch wheel and 9.7 inches on a 9.5 inch wheel.

There is a tire industry rule of thumb that the section width of a tire increases by 2/10's of an inch, for every half inch increase in wheel width. From personal experience, there seems to be a limit to this when the wheel width exceeds the recommended width range of the tire.

I do not mean to say that a 225/45/17 is the tire size to have. I/you may want a wider and/or taller or shorter tire. Remember tires are gears too. That's why I have 5 sets of autocross wheels for my current car, (2) 15's, (1) 16 and (2) 17's

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Richard, you must know something that no other race team in the world does as there is not a single competitive race car out there that runs a stretched wheel/tire setup. Ideal setup would be a wider wheel AND TIRE for any track work... Licensed Racer and Instructor here. GL.

Richard A.

Richard, you must know something that no other race team in the world does as there is not a single competitive race car out there that runs a stretched wheel/tire setup. Ideal setup would be a wider wheel AND TIRE for any track work... Licensed Racer and Instructor here. GL.

Lots of serious Autocrossers out there that run 15x9 inch wheels with 225/45/15 tires. Autocrossing is a different beast than track racing and the improved transitional response and control of the tread patch, with the wider wheel will make a difference. Only reason not to run a 9 inch wheel, if you are an autocrosser, is if it won't fit or your class rules won't allow it.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
The tread patch doesn't change that much with an oversized wheel though, does it? The stretch doesn't stretch the contact patch, just increases the angle of the sidewall?

I have Michelin PSS 235/35r19's on Neuspeed 19x9 RSe10's and there is just the slightest hint of stretch. I wouldn't want to go any smaller on the width of the tire or wider on the wheel unless I was doing a bagged car for "stance".