Car(s)
2008 GTI
Offset?

19x9, 255/30 all around

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I don’t want to offend anyone, as there are a lot of nice photos of nice wheels. But, I don’t know that many of them qualify as “aggressive”.
At this point in the thread, anything beyond 8.5" wide, ET45 is good to go haha

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I don’t want to offend anyone, as there are a lot of nice photos of nice wheels. But, I don’t know that many of them qualify as “aggressive”.

"Functionally aggressive" is what I like to call it.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Til 2004 is old school.

I'm personally glad the whole stretched tires with fucked up camber broken suspension is gone.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
Til 2004 is old school.

I'm personally glad the whole stretched tires with fucked up camber broken suspension is gone.

Same. I never did the camber/broken suspension thing but certainly did have a few sets of wheels with stretched tires. The “euro look” was the style back then. At least with most mk3’s. 16x9 was the popular size and many folks pushed how wide they could get.

However, the bagged/tucked thing I see so often with mk7’s is just as bad in my opinion. But at least they can lift it up and actually drive it. Back in 2001-?? The airbag technology (for mk3’s at least) was not developed so people just messed with coilovers and pulled fenders and all kinds of stuff. Anyway, didn’t mean to derail the thread.

Edit: yes, 15 years ago is a bit old school. At least compared to the mk7. And the wheels were actually aggressive.

Last edited:

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I get it. I had 15x9 on my old weekend racer Miata. Loved that wide meat.

madface1

Go Kart Newbie

I think aggressive is kind of a relative term, although I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. Aggressive fitment the way you’re thinking is different than a functionally (I guess?) aggressive setup. I would still consider 9” wide wheels with 255s or 265s under the umbrella of “aggressive”.

Comparing a mk3 that can fit wheel offsets in the 20s or even teens to a mk7 where a wheel with that low of an offset would have 2” of tread outside the arches.

You also have to take into consideration the body style/lines, poke on mk7s just wouldn’t look right. The fenders and quarters don’t bulge out like they do on earlier generations, so it wouldn’t have the same flow.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
I think aggressive is kind of a relative term, although I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. Aggressive fitment the way you’re thinking is different than a functionally (I guess?) aggressive setup. I would still consider 9” wide wheels with 255s or 265s under the umbrella of “aggressive”.

Comparing a mk3 that can fit wheel offsets in the 20s or even teens to a mk7 where a wheel with that low of an offset would have 2” of tread outside the arches.

You also have to take into consideration the body style/lines, poke on mk7s just wouldn’t look right. The fenders and quarters don’t bulge out like they do on earlier generations, so it wouldn’t have the same flow.

Agreed. If your wheels aren’t 9 in wide and your tires are 255 or larger they aren’t “aggressive “

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Oh so we just talking fitment on anything now, great- I ran 315 in the rear and 295 on the front of my trans am, and 295s on a 8” rim on the back of my 1970 with BFG Raised white letter tires for that bulge sidewall look.

Which is all quite irrelevant to this thread considering the title, hahaha

Last edited:

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Found some used wheels and I'm wondering what do you guys think of the fitment of the following wheel specs?

Front wheels:18x8, et35
Rear wheels: 18x9, et30

Would be with 225/40/18 Michelin PSS tires. The front would be no problem but the rears I'm not sure on.