GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Air Cooled porsche thread

glory

Ready to race!
Recently I have been looking at Old porsche's (mainly 964 & 993) in the hopes one day I may own one. I have been on rennlist and some other forums but does anyone here have an good build threads on old porsche's they would like to share?

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Inb4thewatercooledguysstartbitching

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
I think its typically the other way...

Oh yeah you're right.

I was thinking of the water-cooled VW crowd (some of them) hating on air-cooled VW's.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Those cars are really overpriced for what they are... but hey at least they won't depreciate.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Those cars are really overpriced for what they are... but hey at least they won't depreciate.

Kind of a loaded statement.. Things are worth what people are willing to pay, and for a car to retain it's value over x amount of time (or perhaps appreciate), then one could argue they are not overpriced at all. If you're arguing content, then sure.. But have you seen what a Model A in decent condition sells for? Sure they have 22 or 24" wheels, but they are made of wood!!

I bought a 1985 Carrera 911 in 2009, paid $24.5K. Did I pay too much? Sure I paid premium dollar, but I bought a RoW, unmolested, tintop with factory paint, less than 100,000K (60K miles)

The problem is that there unfortunately is a LOT of CRAP out there, and people for one reason or another continue to throw premium money at them purely for the fact it is a 911.

If you're in the market, due your due diligence, do research on all the quirks of the particular model(s) you're considering, and unless you're prepared to hold on tho the car, DO NOT buy a cabriolet, or a targa.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20130516-the-ultimate-911

Last edited:

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Things like Singer 911s are a different league, they are like those Pro Touring Muscle cars, classic look, modern technology underpinning, done to immaculate details. And they command insane price...

I think the modern car looks great, but the old ones has a different feel to them that makes them look really special if done right...

Charlie Sheen

Ready to race!
We have a 1992 964 Turbo Indian Red / Tan interior in our garage. I'll snap some pictures for you.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Kind of a loaded statement.. Things are worth what people are willing to pay, and for a car to retain it's value over x amount of time (or perhaps appreciate), then one could argue they are not overpriced at all. If you're arguing content, then sure.. But have you seen what a Model A in decent condition sells for? Sure they have 22 or 24" wheels, but they are made of wood!!

I bought a 1985 Carrera 911 in 2009, paid $24.5K. Did I pay too much? Sure I paid premium dollar, but I bought a RoW, unmolested, tintop with factory paint, less than 100,000K (60K miles)

The problem is that there unfortunately is a LOT of CRAP out there, and people for one reason or another continue to throw premium money at them purely for the fact it is a 911.

If you're in the market, due your due diligence, do research on all the quirks of the particular model(s) you're considering, and unless you're prepared to hold on tho the car, DO NOT buy a cabriolet, or a targa.

FAB 911. Congrats. 50th Anniversary going on here in Stuttgart. This is 911 town!n come on over and enjoy :)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

You have a great 911. My whole point was yes, clearly the market is what it is. And yes an original charger with a hemi will crack 250k or what not because its worth it to someone.

Personally, I'd rather drive in a much newer car that had a lot of the kinks of the previous gens worked out.

But the air cooled 911s seem to be worth their weight in gold and are constantly appreciating... depreciation being the #1 expense in car ownership they do make fiscal sense in ownership, although I fail to see how it is anymore fun to drive than a modern porsche

Charlie Sheen

Ready to race!
You have a great 911. My whole point was yes, clearly the market is what it is. And yes an original charger with a hemi will crack 250k or what not because its worth it to someone.

Personally, I'd rather drive in a much newer car that had a lot of the kinks of the previous gens worked out.

But the air cooled 911s seem to be worth their weight in gold and are constantly appreciating... depreciation being the #1 expense in car ownership they do make fiscal sense in ownership, although I fail to see how it is anymore fun to drive than a modern porsche

Have you ever drove one? The beauty of those cars is that it's challeging to drive. There's no traction / stability control or whatsoever. It is you and the car. You are a good driver, you'll get some great lap time. You are average driver, you might kill yourself because when you lose te tail of those cars, it's hard as fuck to get back on track.

Also, chicks dig the old porsche :D