GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alexa not responding

ZimitiZ

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, I have taken delivery of my new Golf 8 eHybrid. I have downloaded the Alexa app from the Volkswagen shop and it all seems to be installed OK. However it does not respond to me saying Alexa to it. I have also installed Voice recognition and that works (now and then)! I have the trial data package set up as well. Two things; am I missing something with Alexa? and is the Voice Recognition so unreliable for other users?

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
You have to download a data plan through the store first you can get a free trial for a few months I also had the same problem until I read about the need for a data plan for the Alexa app to work I just assumed because the car is always connected anyway that the Alexa app would work.

ZimitiZ

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for that. I do have the free trial data plan. I have also tried using my phone as a WiFi hot spot. I just get no response using the word Alexa in as many accents as I can muster.

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
In my car it will only work when stationary as well it's locked during driving for safety reasons quite ironic considering how many functions run through the touch screen.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Alexa worked for about a month after taking delivery. Apparently it’s free for a month and then requires a data plan. I read that it’s possible to get a 1GB/month plan for free. Normally it’s 2GB for a pricey £9.99/month. How does one go about getting either plan?

ZimitiZ

Passed Driver's Ed
Can it only work when the car is stationary then? In any case it's stopped working again even when thcar is n the drive. I have tried with the sim and with wifi via my phone. This is driving me nuts. I suppose I don't really need Alexa but I like things to work properly.

ZimitiZ

Passed Driver's Ed
More investigation. Within Alexa I switched off voice recognition and then used the button that appeard on the screen (to kick things off). When I pressed this button, Alexa announced that it was having trouble connecting to the Internet. I have tried this with my Data Plan and with WiFi (to my phone). Lat night when parked on the drive it worked! Still parked on the drive and it doesn't. Have I missed a setting somewhere?