GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

All those "issues" concerning the GTI Speedo.

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
cmdrfire said:
The US speedos do seem to be really off... mine is only off by like 2mph at 120, and the other GTIs of friends that I know of in the UK appear to be similar, certainly not by more than 4-5mph in extreme cases.
10mph off at 70 is just crazy.

same case here, mine isnt that off.... and i agree, this is the best MK5 site there is:headbang:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Well I noticed that the speedo is definately off yesterday while traveling. I checked my speed with my GPS and it seems to start around 30 mph. It is only slightly off, about 2mph, but when on the highway it is at least 5mph off. This is not good when I am trying to go the speed limit but actually going slower. My car is already going in on monday for the rattle, I guess this is one more thing I will have them check. Has anyone else delt with the dealership yet on this?

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
loccusst said:
Well I noticed that the speedo is definately off yesterday while traveling. I checked my speed with my GPS and it seems to start around 30 mph. It is only slightly off, about 2mph, but when on the highway it is at least 5mph off. This is not good when I am trying to go the speed limit but actually going slower. My car is already going in on monday for the rattle, I guess this is one more thing I will have them check. Has anyone else delt with the dealership yet on this?

This is not something that needs "fixed". All instruments have operating tolerance. The Manufacture cannot risk the speedo indicating low (in the USA). So, to accommodate the tolerance, it has to indicate high.

Every car speedo is this way.

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
cmdrfire said:
The US speedos do seem to be really off... mine is only off by like 2mph at 120, and the other GTIs of friends that I know of in the UK appear to be similar, certainly not by more than 4-5mph in extreme cases.
10mph off at 70 is just crazy.
There is a thread on http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/GTi/page/0 were alot of UK guys speedos seem well out. Mines ok'ish. Im beginning to think it maybe a gearbox/wheel combo, The DSG guys with 17s seem to be further out than the manual guys.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
snoopy said:
There is a thread on http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/GTi/page/0 were alot of UK guys speedos seem well out. Mines ok'ish. Im beginning to think it maybe a gearbox/wheel combo, The DSG guys with 17s seem to be further out than the manual guys.

Hmn... I think it's a wheel thing for sure, because I'm a bit more accurate with the 19s as opposed to the 18s. Haven't tried with the 17s yet.
Odd, because in theory all the wheels should have the same rolling circumference...

davesee

FIA GT Champion
:frown:

first things first, I love my car!!

but spending over $20,000 on a car and having the speedo not being accurate kinda sucks. Everybody is talking about tolerance's.. I have owned 15 cars is my 25 years and not one was off more than 3 mph at 70mph.

My gti is very close to being 10 mph off at 70. It kinda sucks having to do the climate control hack when you're on the expressway, no other cars around and while a cop is sitting in the median - just waiting for you to be going 5 over.

This is really the only complaint I have and c'mon, its more than a tolerance issue. I just expect something like that to be accurate.

Whafrodamus

Walnuts, bitch.
Car(s)
2010 MK6 GTI
Maybe I got a lemon, but mine isn't that off at all. Also, I think a good fix would be to get a new spedo plate (Just with the numbers on it) but calibrated differently, so the needle would move the same, the numbers are just moved. I think the needle itself functions perfectly.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
daveseeno other cars around and while a cop is sitting in the median - just waiting for you to be going 5 over.[/QUOTE said:
You do understand that no one is reporting the error in the negative direction? No car is designed to allow the indicated speed to be lower than true speed.

VW has to comply with the same regulations as evey other car company. They are required to account for tolerance and have the indicated speed to always be higher than true speed.

BTW, how have you checked the accuracy? Have you incorrectly assumed the CC gives an accurate reading?

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
I guess I'm on of those "whiners" that expects a fair amount of accuracy in a $22K vehicle. It's unacceptable that the speedo in my Hyundai Accent was FAR more accurate than my VW. I've tested using the following methods: follow a friend at 60, 70..., using the avg speed setting on the MFD, and used the tach to measure speed. (3000 rpm = 75.3 mph) And for those that say that a 10% inaccuracy isn't that bad, check out the following article. http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=1907 The avg inaccuracy was ~1-2% across most manufacturers. The WORST std deviation in their testing was 2.76 mph at 70. If, by law, speedos can't read slow, why is it that most other cars are within 1-2 mph of accurate at 70 mph???? I LOVE my MKV, but I'm not blind to the fact that VW dropped the ball on this. It's wrong and should be fixed - plain and simple.

Sinjin

Rally Car Newbie
It is not with all VW as my wife's 07 passat at 80mph was checked at 77 on the GPS. My GTI is off at least 5mph at 80mpg, but I do not care. Too me it is not a big deal. I will have the dealer look at it, but if they can't fix it...oh well. I will still be driving my car.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Teknophreak said:
VW dropped the ball on this. It's wrong and should be fixed - plain and simple.

VW does not make and calibrate the speedo, I believe. That would be the gauge supplier.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
The speedo probably is outsourced, but VW is ultimately responsible. And don't get me wrong, the speedo issue doesn't normally detract from the joy of driving the car. But it does cause problems passing by cops. Pass a cop on a Saturday night going 10 below the speed limit and you will likely get pulled over on suspicion of DUI. :drinking:

davesee

FIA GT Champion
its really crazy how everyone is taking offense to this problem. It is a problem, I have verified it by gps, multiple police radar signs and timing myself between mile markers on straight sections of expressway. NorthGTI: I meant that I would be going 5 over because I hadn't compensated properly in my head..

I am not putting my car down in the least, nor VW. It shouldnt matter who designs the gagues. If the door latch had a problem and wouldnt shut, or doesnt shut all the way would you say to yourself, "Oh it doesn't matter because VW didn't manufacture the latches. Or, ehh, thats within alotted tolerances so its ok". -I wouldn't think so.

Lets all take it easy and quit defending the gagues, please??!! I just want accuracy.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Droped the car off this morning at the dealership for a few problems. One being the speedo issue. The head tech asked me how much it was off and then explained that VW knows the problem but because it is not a mechanical gear driven system there is no way as of yet to adjust the speedo. He then stated that VW is working on a fix for this issue and would let me know as soon as one is out. So at least they know about the issue.....on a new car just produced they should of already known the issue during testing.