GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ALLOY WHEEL MARKS - MK 8 GOLF

rosco1407

Hi Folks,

Wanted your opinions on my options with regards to marks on my Golf Mk 8 Alloys. The car is 2021 and I have had it a while now and put 20K mileage onto it. I wash the car myself using car cleaning products etc. I've uploaded images of ghe marks appesring on the alloys. Someone told me I could take it to VW and tell them to fix under warrenty. Will they laugh in my face? *Note...these are not kerb marks! Thanks! Ross
20231002_080702.jpg
20231002_080653.jpg

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Firstly, apologies for the long post, but diamond cut alloys are a pet hate of mine.

That’s white worm corrosion, which is pretty common on diamond cut alloys after a couple of years or so - sometimes sooner.

White worm can be caused by poor application of the lacquer when the alloys are manufactured. The shiny bare metal diamond cut surface doesn’t provide a good ‘key’ for the protective clear lacquer to bond to; additionally, the layer of lacquer may be quite thin on ‘sharp’ edges (e.g. where the polished face meets the black painted recessed areas between the spokes). Poor lacquer adhesion and thin lacquer coverage means that there’s a high risk of white worm corrosion, when water and moisture gets underneath the lacquer and creeps over the polished face of the wheel. If you do an internet search on ‘White worm corrosion’ you’ll see some quite spectacular images of what it’s like in an advanced state. Diamond cut alloys are particularly susceptible to white worm corrosion during winter months when the roads are plastered with salt and grit to stop the road surface from freezing.

White worm can also happen if the lacquer coating gets chipped and the chipped area isn’t repaired almost immediately (touched in with clear lacquer), leaving the bare metal exposed. I’d say judging by the extent of corrosion on your alloys, it’s most likely caused by a manufacturing defect - i.e. inadequate / poor lacquer coverage when the wheels were manufactured.

In your situation, assuming your car’s still covered by the original factory warranty, I’d certainly be claiming for a new set of alloys under warranty, and no, the dealer shouldn’t just laugh in your face.

I had two diamond cut alloys replaced on a mk6 GTD back in 2013 when the car was around two years old. The dealer took photos of the alloys - presumably so VW could authorise replacements, and the wheels in question were replaced without question. A word or warning - since Dieselgate, VW seem to take a much firmer stance on some types of warranty claims, so they may not be as receptive now to replacing alloys under warranty as they were back in 2013. Also, if any wheels have other damage such as kerb scuffing marks, VW are unlikely to replace them free of charge. That has always been the case though, even before Dieselgate.

I personally hate diamond cut alloys with a passion and I wish car manufacturers would get over their obsession with fitting these alloys with poor durability to their cars. Diamond cut alloys do have a certain ‘bling’ appeal on a new car sitting in a dealership showroom if you like that sort of thing (I personally don’t), but IMHO they’re more hassle than they’re worth;
  • susceptible to white worm corrosion.
  • more expensive to refurbish than ‘normal’ painted / powder coated alloys, and even after wheels have been refurbished, the white worm corrosion is likely to reappear again in a couple of years or so.
  • the method of refurbishment (cutting away a layer of metal from the face of the wheel on a diamond cut lathe) means that diamond cut alloys can only be refurbished twice; more than twice and the structural integrity of the wheel may be compromised as too much metal will have been removed.
  • diamond cut alloys are susceptible to damage by tyre fitters and poorly maintained tyre changing equipment.
I replaced diamond cut alloys on my current car within three months of buying the car and replaced them with a set of powder coated alloys (I also replaced them on my previous two cars) - much more durable than diamond cut alloys and no risk of white worm happening. I’ve stored the original diamond cut alloys and they’ll go back on the car when the time comes to sell it to give it back that ‘bling’ look that some seem to like.

Please update the forum on how you propose to progress this - if you do decide claim for a set of new alloys, please update with VW’s decision on whether they’ll entertain your warranty claim or not (always worth trying a different VW dealer if the first one says ‘no’).

Good luck! 🤞

rosco1407

Thanks for this brilliantly detailed response! I agree that they look nice n shiny and great in the showroom, but do perform poorly out on the roads!

With your advice I will take it up with the Dealer (I am booked in for the SOS light soon) hopefully they will at least replace once with a new set. I will then look into swapping them with a cheaper set like you said. And go for Powder coated ones which would be more durable.

Will let you know how I get on with the Dealer and hopefuly first one does it with no hassle!

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
Hi Folks,

Wanted your opinions on my options with regards to marks on my Golf Mk 8 Alloys. The car is 2021 and I have had it a while now and put 20K mileage onto it. I wash the car myself using car cleaning products etc. I've uploaded images of ghe marks appesring on the alloys. Someone told me I could take it to VW and tell them to fix under warrenty. Will they laugh in my face? *Note...these are not kerb marks! Thanks! RossView attachment 292533View attachment 292534
They look really bad for the age and mileage of the car, I have VW Ventura wheels on mine, car is the same age with 34,000km / 21,000 miles, there are very few marks like those on what I have. Is it the design of the wheels or just from a bad lot? The straight leading edge seems to be where it's worse, on the Ventura wheels there is half of the leading edge curved see photo.......
Firstly, apologies for the long post, but diamond cut alloys are a pet hate of mine.

That’s white worm corrosion, which is pretty common on diamond cut alloys after a couple of years or so - sometimes sooner.

White worm can be caused by poor application of the lacquer when the alloys are manufactured. The shiny bare metal diamond cut surface doesn’t provide a good ‘key’ for the protective clear lacquer to bond to; additionally, the layer of lacquer may be quite thin on ‘sharp’ edges (e.g. where the polished face meets the black painted recessed areas between the spokes). Poor lacquer adhesion and thin lacquer coverage means that there’s a high risk of white worm corrosion, when water and moisture gets underneath the lacquer and creeps over the polished face of the wheel. If you do an internet search on ‘White worm corrosion’ you’ll see some quite spectacular images of what it’s like in an advanced state. Diamond cut alloys are particularly susceptible to white worm corrosion during winter months when the roads are plastered with salt and grit to stop the road surface from freezing.

White worm can also happen if the lacquer coating gets chipped and the chipped area isn’t repaired almost immediately (touched in with clear lacquer), leaving the bare metal exposed. I’d say judging by the extent of corrosion on your alloys, it’s most likely caused by a manufacturing defect - i.e. inadequate / poor lacquer coverage when the wheels were manufactured.

In your situation, assuming your car’s still covered by the original factory warranty, I’d certainly be claiming for a new set of alloys under warranty, and no, the dealer shouldn’t just laugh in your face.

I had two diamond cut alloys replaced on a mk6 GTD back in 2013 when the car was around two years old. The dealer took photos of the alloys - presumably so VW could authorise replacements, and the wheels in question were replaced without question. A word or warning - since Dieselgate, VW seem to take a much firmer stance on some types of warranty claims, so they may not be as receptive now to replacing alloys under warranty as they were back in 2013. Also, if any wheels have other damage such as kerb scuffing marks, VW are unlikely to replace them free of charge. That has always been the case though, even before Dieselgate.

I personally hate diamond cut alloys with a passion and I wish car manufacturers would get over their obsession with fitting these alloys with poor durability to their cars. Diamond cut alloys do have a certain ‘bling’ appeal on a new car sitting in a dealership showroom if you like that sort of thing (I personally don’t), but IMHO they’re more hassle than they’re worth;
  • susceptible to white worm corrosion.
  • more expensive to refurbish than ‘normal’ painted / powder coated alloys, and even after wheels have been refurbished, the white worm corrosion is likely to reappear again in a couple of years or so.
  • the method of refurbishment (cutting away a layer of metal from the face of the wheel on a diamond cut lathe) means that diamond cut alloys can only be refurbished twice; more than twice and the structural integrity of the wheel may be compromised as too much metal will have been removed.
  • diamond cut alloys are susceptible to damage by tyre fitters and poorly maintained tyre changing equipment.
I replaced diamond cut alloys on my current car within three months of buying the car and replaced them with a set of powder coated alloys (I also replaced them on my previous two cars) - much more durable than diamond cut alloys and no risk of white worm happening. I’ve stored the original diamond cut alloys and they’ll go back on the car when the time comes to sell it to give it back that ‘bling’ look that some seem to like.

Please update the forum on how you propose to progress this - if you do decide claim for a set of new alloys, please update with VW’s decision on whether they’ll entertain your warranty claim or not (always worth trying a different VW dealer if the first one says ‘no’).

Good luck! 🤞
They look really bad for the age and mileage of the car, I have VW Ventura wheels on mine, car is the same age with 34,000km / 21,000 miles, there are only a few marks like those. Is it the design of the wheels or just from a bad lot? The straight leading edge seems to be where it's worse, on the Ventura wheels the leading edge of the spoke is curved - could this make a difference? see photo.......

Wheel image 1.jpg

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
They look really bad for the age and mileage of the car, I have VW Ventura wheels on mine, car is the same age with 34,000km / 21,000 miles, there are very few marks like those on what I have. Is it the design of the wheels or just from a bad lot? The straight leading edge seems to be where it's worse, on the Ventura wheels there is half of the leading edge curved see photo.......

I think it’s largely down to the relatively poor durability of finish rather than the design of the wheel - i.e. lacquer being applied directly onto bare metal; not great for long term durability, especially where diamond cut alloys are on a car used as a daily driver all year round (especially on roads during winter months).

The diamond cut alloys on my mk6 Golf GTD succumbed to white worm corrosion in the centre of the wheel around the centre cap, rather than along the spokes. Maybe the clear coat was damaged when the centre caps were first fitted to the wheels when the car was new? I could understand if the caps had been levered out of the wheel with a sharp metal implement, damaging the clear coat in the process, but they’d never been removed from the wheels (I owned the car from new). White worm corrosion wasn’t down to lack of care / maintenance on my part either; wheels were cleaned every 7-10 days, sealed and waxed every 2-3 months and any stone chips that occurred since the previous clean were repaired straight away.

I’d strongly recommend that for anyone whose car has diamond cut alloys that are undamaged and in factory fresh condition, when the time comes to get new tyres;
  • ensure the wheels are spotlessly clean when you take the car for the tyres to be fitted so it can be seen they are well cared for
  • get the manager at the tyre depot to agree the condition of the wheels before they remove the old / fit the new tyres (take photos of the wheels and let the tyre depot manager you‘ve done so)
  • tell the tyre depot manager you want the wheels to be in the same condition after the tyres are fitted are they are before they start work
  • ask for the centre caps to be pushed out from the reverse side of the rather than levered out from the front with an unsuitable metal implement.
Is the above overkill? Maybe, but for anyone who values the condition of their alloys, IMHO it‘s not overkill. It hopefully avoids a situation where a tyre fitter damages one or more wheels and then denies doing so, leaving the car owner with the hassle and expense of getting the wheels refurbished (at a cost of £120 or more plus VAT per wheel) to remove the damage 🤔 😠.

rosco1407

Thanks for the replies folks! Anyone give me a clue as to what to say to the dealer when I go to them about it? Are the alloys from the factory covered by warranty? Thanks

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
Very subjective, for myself - I would ask - are the wheels covered by the warranty? If yes ask for the dealers assessment of their condition, indicating that the wheels have only been used under normal and reasonable conditions. Leave it at that and wait for the dealer's response. I would make sure though that the car was well detailed before the dealer visit. Much could follow but warranties in general as we all know can exclude claims for a multitude of reasons. If need be I wouldn't give up without a reasonable discussion / argument / fight or whatever. Good luck with this🍀

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
@rosco1407 - Owners (including myself) on various VW forums over the years have been successful in getting alloy wheels replaced under the original new car factory warranty. If damage (i e. the white worm corrosion in your case) is the result of a manufacturing defect, then they ought to be replaced free of charge. If the view of the dealer and / or VW is the damage has been caused by an ‘external influence’ - e.g. in the case of alloys, kerb damage - then it’s likely a warranty claim will be denied.

The new car factory warranty terms and conditions for the UK are on VWUK’s website; link below. There is no exclusion of wheels, so in the absence of a specific exclusion they should be covered against manufacturing defects.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/own...n/warranties-and-insurance/new-car-terms.html

I agree with @LMWT; ensure your car is well presented (thoroughly cleaned - inside and out) when going back to the dealer as it creates a good impression that the car is well cared for and not abused or neglected. That might help increase your chances of being successful with getting your wheels replaced.

As an aside but related to getting alloys replaced under warranty; in my case, the two new replacement alloys for my car both arrived damaged at the dealership - not just once, but three times 😮. The forth replacements were OK though. So don’t assume the new replacements will be in factory fresh condition as they may not be, or if they are, there’s still a chance the dealer might damage them when fitting the tyres 🤔. So assuming yours will be replaced, inspect them very carefully after they’re fitted before leaving the dealership!

rosco1407

Great!! Thanks for that reply. I will make sure car is cleaned inside and out and wheels are as clean as they can be!

I am booked in for SOS call button fault in a few weeks (another MK8 gremlin!) So will mention this to them then about the wheels and will try not to take NO for an answer :)