GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Am I the only one who think Camaro and Challenger are not over weight?

fairladyz_gt-r

Go Kart Champion
I was just reading the latest copy of Car and Driver, and they keep on bitching about how heavy the Camaro is compare with the Mustang... that got me thinking...

Being a foreigner, in my mind, American car are always big, heavy, V8, and perfect for cruising. definitely not something I am going to take to the road course or the winding road...but...

I cannot think of any other car I rather drive to the drive-in, or cruise the main street on Friday/Saturday night, or hunt down other cars on the interstates....

am I alone?

patrick_irwin

Go Kart Champion
I hate the "modern muscle" cars. a mustang, camaro, challenger, charger, or whatever. should be loud as fast. I feel they lost that special touch that car enthusiast are after

AdvanSuper

Banned
Uhhh the Challenger SRT8 weighs in at 4,140....

Camaro SS 1SS - 3849
Camaro SS 2SS - 3902

Mustang GT - 3574

I'd say they are correct about them being heavier compared to the Mustang...

AdvanSuper

Banned
A new Z06 weighs in at 3180 and handles very well... Ford has the right idea the mustang is slowly coming around in terms of out of the box handling performance and so does Chevy at least when it comes to the Corvette.

Besides the Camaro and Challenger look alike in so many ways I think them being reintroduced was pointless.

huskeR32

Ready to race!
Uhhh the Challenger SRT8 weighs in at 4,140....

Camaro SS 1SS - 3849
Camaro SS 2SS - 3902

Mustang GT - 3574

I'd say they are correct about them being heavier compared to the Mustang...

I don't think he was saying it wasn't correct, he just said that in his opinion, muscle cars don't need to be light, just powerful.

OP, I get where you're coming from. Old muscle cars that couldn't do shit except for drag races, power slides and make loud noises are awesome. I'd love to have lived during that era and driven a 69 Camaro or something :thumbsup: However, a new car that combines that old-school straight-line speed with some agility and handling is even better. When it comes to muscle cars, I'm die-hard Chevy, but I've got to admit that the Mustang's recent focus on dieting and handling is pretty damn cool.

Midnight00SE

Mr. Othy
Ford definitely has the upper hand against the Camaro and Challenger for the time being. Really can't wait to see some of the new 32-valves with some motor work done. That motor might push aside the Terminator as the Mustang's must have powerplant.

AdvanSuper

Banned
I don't think he was saying it wasn't correct, he just said that in his opinion, muscle cars don't need to be light, just powerful.

This is his thread title...

Am I the only one who think Camaro and Challenger are not over weight?

He is saying they are not overweight therefore disagreeing with the reviewers of Car & Driver.

They are right in saying it's over weight. The Mustang (a car which has basically never been out of production) has set the example thus far of how a modern day well priced muscle car should be. We'll leave the Corvette out since it's not in the same class since it pushes up on high end car territory.

Couper93

It's only a 4
My previous vehicles were an 03 Cobra, 06 Mustang, 93 coupe.
Soul-less appliance like vehicles that did go fast, did handle decent but very robotic, no feeling. In fact, if you don't drive VW or German for that matter, you will never know what us German-driving fanatics are talking about in regards to connectivity to the road, the feel, the soul.......

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
They're all over weight. Anything over 3k is heavy in my eyes. My heaviest performance cars were supra-3600, camaro-3600, sn 95 mustang 3400. I usually gravitate towards lighter stuff, crx, rx7, 240. You just can't replicate the feeling of a lightweight vehicle no matter how much power and suspension work you have.

julito04

I plead the fif.
They're all over weight. Anything over 3k is heavy in my eyes. My heaviest performance cars were supra-3600, camaro-3600, sn 95 mustang 3400. I usually gravitate towards lighter stuff, crx, rx7, 240. You just can't replicate the feeling of a lightweight vehicle no matter how much power and suspension work you have.

True that. A big boat is always going to feel like a big boat in a turn.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Yes, if they were lighter they would perform better. Are you going to attempt to argue that? I speak from experience owning, tuning and racing actual cars not from the interwebs. They are good performing cars but they are heavy and could benefit from being lighter. Part of the reason that lightweight rims, carbon hoods and alloy are used in cars....

Oh so I guess an Evo, STi, Corvette, Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, M3's etc etc etc are all boats and are overweight since they push over 3k....

AdvanSuper

Banned
Well no shit of course making a car lighter would improve upon it. However your initial post was speaking from preference.

I usually gravitate towards lighter stuff, crx, rx7, 240. You just can't replicate the feeling of a lightweight vehicle

To say anything over 3k is over weight is just silly IMO since most cars are well within that weight range especially the daily driven sports cars. We are not talking about race cars here Angel just your average normal use of a sports car by a car enthusiast.