GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ambient lighting

Deancooper

Hi,
A quick question, I have a Golf mk8 life (71 plate) but noticed that the internal ambient lighting doesn't illuminate the phone charger section. Is this correct or do I have a fault?
Many thanks

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Not a Golf, but my 2020 Polo GTI+ has illumination in that ‘phone storage’ area in the centre console. As @LWWT has said, it illuminates when the car’s lights are on. In my car it’s a very subtle illumination - initially I didn’t think it worked, but it does; it’s just that the LED is very small so the light output isn’t very bright. I prefer it that way as it’s not distracting when driving after dark.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Do you have the lights in the footwell area?
I ask because I know those with the Golf Life that don't have the ambient light in those areas and the wireless charger box. Also they had the 10 color ambient light.
Here are some PR Codes:
QQ8 = 10 color , no light in wireless box
QQ9 = 30 color , light in wireless box
QQ4 = Like QQ9 + 2 lights in wireless box with the cover (GT and R)
6T0 = With no Footwell lights
6T2 = With Footwell lights

Last edited:

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
If you do have the footwell lights or 30 color from factory then it could be possible it was not installed at the factory.
Yes I know of a couple of cases where some Golf 8 owners had no light in the wireless box when it should of been there from the factory. They eventually got it sorted in the workshop.

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a us spec 2022 gti se and I also didn't have a light in the phone area until I was randomly playing with the brightness and it just started working

Sythaera

If you do have the footwell lights or 30 color from factory then it could be possible it was not installed at the factory.
Yes I know of a couple of cases where some Golf 8 owners had no light in the wireless box when it should of been there from the factory. They eventually got it sorted in the workshop.
I don't have a light in the wireless box, but I have in the footwell, I have 10 colors.

How can I know if I should have a light in the wireless box?

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't have a light in the wireless box, but I have in the footwell, I have 10 colors.

How can I know if I should have a light in the wireless box?
Did you try to adjust the brightness of all the sections to see if it fixes it?

Deancooper

I don't have footwell lights either so it may not be fitted

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I was loaned a Golf Life a couple of times and there was no footwell lights and no light in the charger box. It also only had 10 color ambient light.
It is possibile to install all these lights. Had it done together with a friend in Italy and did the coding to enable them.
You will need to connect the cables from the lights to the central electric control unit (09) and earth points in the car.

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't have footwell lights either so it may not be fitted
What is your exact model? I have a footwell and phone light. Mine is a US 2022 Golf GTI SE with no additional packages. It was going to come with the Harman Kardon system but it was deleted.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
He has a Golf Life. In different countries it comes with either an 8.25 inch screen with 2 knobs or ReadyToDiscover without many features on the Discovery Media.
Also no footwell lights or wireless box light unless you select the upgrade package to 30 lights. It is possible to buy the 30 color light in the VW Shop.

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
He has a Golf Life. In different countries it comes with either an 8.25 inch screen with 2 knobs or ReadyToDiscover without many features on the Discovery Media.
Also no footwell lights or wireless box light unless you select the upgrade package to 30 lights. It is possible to buy the 30 color light in the VW Shop.
Ah sorry, I'm new to golfing, is that what you call it? I'm also in the US so just gti and r

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I have so many ambient light options to choose from.....my life was so empty before ....
Quite. How on earth did everyone manage before before car manufacturers convinced owners they needed multiple ambient lighting colour choices in their lives. A choice of one colour or none at all would make life so much simpler……🤔 🤣.