GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

americans! if u lived in the UK...

car

Autocross Champion
Vivid said:
well although Kirium's comments are gross overgeneralization they are quite true, just look at the best selling VW the past few years here in the US...

Although GTI drivers over here feel the same way about SUVs we are the unfortunately minority...

Kirium's comments were quite harsh and maybe not appropriate but on some level I, and I bet everyone else, agrees with him.

Absolutely. It sucks! But why not share the hate of American SUV drivers on an American SUV forum? I'm an American, and proud to be one, but I'm not proud of my country's obsession with gas-guzzlers and as such, don't like to be put in the same category.

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
The increase in SUV's is not just limited to the US...here in Ireland there has been a huge increase simply due to a booming economy and a need to flash this wealth...we dont have the roads for em here yet folk keep buying them..an off road experience would be a trip to the local park yet we constantly hear the safety claim from the parents who drive their kids 2km in them to school....madness.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
I don't hate SUV's becuase they guzzle gas, and I sure don't look down on people who drive them. I personally don't like the driving experience in them, and that's why I choose to own a GTI. As for the Euro prices, even with income/living expenses adjusted, the cars end up costing more. All things being equal (income,living expenses) I would probably be driving a cheaper car than a GTI if I lived in the UK, to ansewer your question.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
car said:
You are wrong to be spouting off SUV talk here. Seems that we're hanging out on this board because we have a MkV, not an SUV. I don't like being bulked into the "American that loves SUVs" category, because i guarantee I hate SUVs just as much as you do. Remember, we American MkV drivers actually have to share the road with them, not just go on a rant about how wasteful they are (we know) from the other side of the world.

+2 I HATE SUVs! A GTI isn't worth $40K US dollars. If you're paying that much (whatever the equivalent is in your currency), you're being ripped off. Trust me, PLENTY of Americans hate SUVs and the excess they represent.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I hate SUV's. Funny how usually there's one dude driving around in a 7 seater.

Kirium, you say "we don't pay enough for cars." There is this deal called supply and demand. Why should we pay any more than we want to. A car is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay, IN ANY COUNTRY.

You Poms that complain about high prices for autos. Don't buy any, Prices will hit the basement. I know it's not this simple, but at the same time it kinda is. There is no set cost for a car.

Amercans pay less for cars and gas but this is mostly because we don't pay as high prices for taxes. On the other hand we have one of the worst Public health systems for a 1st world country. It's all about where your taxes go.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Back on subject. No I wouldn't by a GTi for that cost. Then again, I'm conditioned to pay much less than that. If I lived in the UK for a long period of time, then perhaps I would buy one. It all depends on what you're conditioned to. Obviously, that price is way too high for my taste.

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
kirk180 said:
Back on subject. No I wouldn't by a GTi for that cost. Then again, I'm conditioned to pay much less than that. If I lived in the UK for a long period of time, then perhaps I would buy one. It all depends on what you're conditioned to. Obviously, that price is way too high for my taste.

thank u. i kinda lost interest in the post when it ended up in talks in SUVs. all i was really asking was would u pay $40k for a GTI.

your kind of right about the whole what your used to factor. but from what i can see there are 18yr old american students being able to afford GTIs. but young people in the UK will probably drive the most basic golf cos thats what theyre used to finance wise.

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
yeah topic.... i would get a gti!! if i had that sorta money... oh wait.. im only 17 so my insurance would be.. oh say bout £10,000 per annum

earthtoandy

Touring Car Champion
Kirium said:
We already know americans don't pay enough for cars... That's why there's ugly, pointless, gas guzzling SUV's everywhere... :barf: It also makes you the biggest consumers (and wasters) of oil in the world.

America... Help out someone less fortunate than you... By driving off a cliff in your SUV, you can help save the life of a tiny kitten in Norway. .. :tongue:

Poms get shafted by their government too with a massive fuel tax...

On a lighter note.. That's a pretty good premium for the R32 over the GTI. Here in Australia, the GTI is $40k, and the R32 is going to be around $55-$60K.. Almost 50% more.. :thumbdown:
AGREED.

I wanna get out of here

I have dreams of becoming a SUV vigilante. Just go around at night putting sugar in their gas tanks. :laugh:

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
earthtoandy said:
AGREED.

I wanna get out of here

I have dreams of becoming a SUV vigilante. Just go around at night putting sugar in their gas tanks. :laugh:

rofl.

Anglewood

Gear Head
Car(s)
'08 GTI BMP 6MT
Back on topic, I personally wouldn't pay $40,000 for a GTI, hell if I was truly practical I would probably buy a Honda Civic for $15k. For me, the apeal of the GTI is the bang for buck factor. Few other cars provide the amount of performance, luxury, and practicality that the GTI does so well.

On the topic of SUVs, been there done that. The first car I bought was a '78 K5 Blazer. I was lucky to get 12 mpg, and it ended up throwing two rods a year after I got it. I had a lot of fun in that truck, but I learned my lesson and now drive an '88 Toyota 4x4 Pickup. I can go offroad more places than I could with my Blazer, but it averages 20 mpg and even at 205k miles, the engine still burns less than a quart of oil between changes. Not everyone in the US is on the SUV bandwagon, even in LA where there is definitely a car culture due to the crappy puclic transit system.

Lates,

Connor

earthtoandy

Touring Car Champion
40K Ouch. But at the same time its not apples and oranges. Its not like the GTI is unproportionally more expensive than other cars there. Its all scaled differently so you dont have much choice otherwise you get a tiny Fiat. Of course I would much rather live somewhere where I didnt have to own a car and could possibly just own one for leisure and fun.

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
when i was back in germany, i was dead set on getting a Peugeot 306, they arn't that beastly under the hood, but damn do they look good! and im sure some people have figured out how to make those little things run fast. they we're selling them at a really reasonable price in euro's when i was there..