GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another BS "Speed Kills" study

krische

vdubber in training
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/20/study-raising-national-speed-limit-has-resulted-in-12-500-death/

Hmm, that's interesting; seems to be in direct disagreement with the actual Department of Transportation numbers. HERE
Early estimates show that 31,110 people died on the nation’s roads from January through October, compared to 34,502 in 2007 during that same 10-month time period. In addition, the fatality rate per 100 million vehicles miles traveled for the first nine months of 2008 is 1.28, compared to 1.37 for 2007.

What is with these bogus "speed kills" groups.

Remus6

ViVa La Fuga!WLF
I read somewhere before that speed has less impact than the design of the road. If I recall correctly, compared to Germany's Autobahn, their roads are safer with less fatalities than that of American roads due to their superior design and construction. I wish I could find that article.

The problem isn't the increase in speed. They raised the speed but the roads remained the same.

krische

vdubber in training
I read somewhere before that speed has less impact than the design of the road. If I recall correctly, compared to Germany's Autobahn, their roads are safer with less fatalities than that of American roads due to their superior design and construction. I wish I could find that article.

The problem isn't the increase in speed. They raised the speed but the roads remained the same.

Yes, the autobahn is much safer compared to the miles driven. Many people cite the better road design and construction, as well as Germany's strict driving rules and certifications.

From wikipedia:

The German autobahn network is patrolled by the Autobahnpolizei (Autobahn police) in marked and unmarked police vehicles, some equipped with video cameras. This practice allows the enforcement of laws (tailgating, for example) which are often viewed in other countries as difficult to prove in court. Notable laws include the following:
  • Autobahns in Austria and Germany may only be used by motor vehicles that are designed to achieve a maximum speed exceeding 60 km/h (Switzerland: 80 km/h).
    • The right lane must be used when it is free, (Rechtsfahrgebot) and the left lane is generally intended for passing manoeuvres only. Drivers using the left lane when the other lanes are free may be fined by autobahn police.
    • Overtaking on the right (undertaking) is forbidden, except in traffic jams where it may be practiced with caution. The fact that the car overtaken is illegally occupying the left-hand lane is not an acceptable excuse. In these cases the police will routinely stop and fine both drivers.
    • Not allowing faster cars to overtake one's own car if the traffic situation allows it (e.g. by occupying the left-hand lane for a longer period of time) may be considered coercion[12].
    • In case of a traffic jam, the drivers must form an emergency lane to ensure emergency services can reach the scene of a possible accident. This lane must be formed between the left lane and the lane next to the left lane (i.e., between the two leftmost lanes).
    • It is unlawful for a driver to stop his or her vehicle on the road for any reason except in an emergency or situations where stopping is unavoidable, such as being involved in a collision. This includes stopping on emergency lanes.
    • It is also unlawful to turn around or back up on the Autobahn under any circumstances. Doing so is punishable under criminal law.
    • The distance between vehicles (in metres) should be at least half the speed (in km/h) at all times (e.g. at least 60 metres at 120 km/h). This corresponds to a "lead time" of just under 2 seconds. Again, the fact that the car in front is illegally occupying the left-hand lane when the right-hand lane is free does not excuse following too closely.
    • Fines for tailgating were increased in May 2006. At speeds of over 100 km/h, keeping less than 30 percent of the recommended distance now results in the suspension of one's driving licence for one to three months.
    • The German legal regulations (Straßenverkehrsordnung) explicitly allow drivers to honk or flash headlights shortly in order to indicate intention of overtaking.[13]. Obtrusive behaviour of the potentially overtaking car, such as constantly flashing headlights or driving at insufficient distances for a longer period of time is illegal and may be prosecuted as coercion. This may also apply to drivers not allowing faster cars to overtake their car if the traffic situation allows it (e.g. by occupying the left-hand lane for a longer period of time)[12].
    • Tires must be approved for the vehicle's top speed. Tires for lower speeds (i.e., cheaper than high-speed tires) are only allowed if they are marked as Winter tires (M+S or M/S). In this case the driver must have a sticker in the windshield as a reminder of the maximum speed

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/20/study-raising-national-speed-limit-has-resulted-in-12-500-death/

Hmm, that's interesting; seems to be in direct disagreement with the actual Department of Transportation numbers. HERE

What is with these bogus "speed kills" groups.

Yeah, the people that did that 'study' probably had to eliminate newer data because it didn't support their agenda as well as the older data does. As you can see they used data from 1997 to 2005 and the DOT data you linked to was from 2007.

Remus6

ViVa La Fuga!WLF
Yes, the autobahn is much safer compared to the miles driven. Many people cite the better road design and construction, as well as Germany's strict driving rules and certifications.

From wikipedia:

It's amazing how they drive way faster there and have less fatalities than in the US. Their roads also don't break down as much as our freeways do. We have a thing or two to learn from ze jzermanz. If we built our roads like they did, we wouldn't have so much road repairs needed to be done.

The way their licensing works too, by the time you get your driver's license, you're pretty much almost a professional driver.

Yeah, the people that did that 'study' probably had to eliminate newer data because it didn't support their agenda as well as the older data does. As you can see they used data from 1997 to 2005 and the DOT data you linked to was from 2007.

Another thing that amazes me. How people can twist and crunch numbers to have them work in their favor. :iono:

krische

vdubber in training
Honestly, I think the DOT should spend some money on implementing the variable speed limit signs they have on the autobahn. Then just have the speed limits change based on weather/light conditions. If it's a dry, sunny afternoon; maybe up the limit to 80mph. If it's a dark and snowy night, lower it to 45mph. I feel that would do better at lowering accidents than just some overall speed limit. It would also force people to pay attention to their own speed if it is changing instead of a constant 70mph.

A1Drewski

Go Kart Newbie
in NOVA they have variable speed limit signs, but they are only there to reduce the speed limit (from the max of 55) to improve the flow of traffic during rush hour.

Carter N

The Cancer
god i wish i lived in Germany.

I think the biggest problem with the roads & drivers here has nothing to do with speeds, designs, etc. It's the stupid ass people they let drive... I mean no offense to women, because i know a few damn good women drivers, but I have seen first hand creepy old driving instructors pass girls because they had a nice rack, or because they started pouting and all that... not to mention (in virginia at least) once you're 19 all you have to do is pass a written test to get a license.. it's bullshit.

iirc, it's a lot harder to get a license anywhere in europe, as far as the tests involved. That's how it should be here.

krische

vdubber in training
I honestly don't understand why they don't force driving schools/tests to be harder here. They really are a joke. They love to spend millions on "wear your seatbelt" campaigns, but god forbid they teach people how to react in a skid.

Especially considering I live in Wisconsin where you WILL drive in the snow and you WILL end up in a skid sooner rather than later. Yet, in driver's ed; you spend a whole 30 seconds on it and all they tell you is to "steer into a skid." Like that is really going to help the kids when their car is sliding and they are scared shitless.

lancGTI

www.oli.org
The US needs to adopt [preferably immediately] the same laws on its highways as Germany does for das Autobahn. Cops with video cameras, possibly losing your license for tailgating!

Brilliant!