GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any acoustic guitar players?

BlueWabbit

back being low.
hey guys, just curious how many of us are acoustic guitar players? learning how to play guitar is on my list of to-dos for the summer. so looking for any tips really or, any specific brand to start off with? i'll probably look for a guitar in like the 100-200 range first just to learn or borrow from a friend. any ideas? thanks guys.

SAbroSO

Das Captain
Depends on what kind of acoustic you want to play. There are classical acoustics (with nylon strings) and steel string acoustics. Classical guitars have a wider neck so the strings will be spaced out more. Might make it a little difficult to learn chords with that type of guitar. The plus side is that the strings are soft and wont hurt your fingers. Steel string on the other hand, has a narrower neck which makes for easier finger placement for chords. Those strings will hurt your fingers until your fingers develop calluses. You also want to take into consideration what type of music you want to play. A steel string will work best for Blues or playing rock songs in acoustic. When rock bands go UnPlugged they mostly use steel strings. Classical guitars have a warmer sound to them. I don't know if you are familiar with the acoustic version of Hotel California by the Eagles. That song was played with classical acoustics.

As for a brand in the price range you mentioned, you might want to look at Yamaha. They make a decent guitar. Ibanez guitars can be found for fairly cheap. If there is a guitar center near you i would suggest checking it out. They have a wide variety of guitars. Go there and try both types of guitars out. They will let you pull them off the wall and play them. The guys that work at the store are usually very knowledgeable about the products they sell. Ask them any questions you have in mind about the guitars. They'll help you out and the best part is they're not pushy and won't try and steer you towards a higher end guitar just to make a sale. Just let them know what your price range is and what kind of music you are interested in playing.

Hope this helped. Good luck on your search. Oh, don't get let down and frustrated cuz you can't shred from the get go. When i started i would get so frustrated :mad0259: that i almost smashed my guitar. It takes time and a lot of practice. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

eROCK

Go Kart Champion
I've been playing for about 22 years now. There are many brands to choose from. Fender makes a decent acoustic. However, I'd recommend Epiphone for a beginner. They're owned by Gibson guitars, and play really well. Even though they're cheaper guitars, it's what the Beatles used to play (although back then the quality was better than the mass produced versions of today). The song "Yesterday" by the Beatles was recorded on an Epiphone guitar.

blackraven

he's a stuntman
Go to a music shop (Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc) and hold 'em. Everyone's body is different and you want to find a guitar which feels good to hold. However, keep to your budget... For myself, I learned to play on a $99 Ibanez (I think it was called the Jam Pack & came w/ a gig bag, tuner, picks, strap). Mostly I had it strung w/ steel strings, but occasionally would throw a pack of nylons on.

Now, if you can afford it, get a lower-end student/travel sized Martin. If you keep playing, you'll alway appreciate it. If you loose interest, it'll retain a bit of resell value.

Acid

Ready to race!
Im 28, and I started playing guitar when I was 16. I played pretty hardcore for about 3-4 years or so. then barely picked it up too much after that :(
Acoustic is gonna hurt your fingers a bit more if it's what you're learning on, but it'll do you good. Also, whatever kind of music you're looking to learn to play affects how you learn. I started out with nothing but Death metal and grindcore. Which is a lot of fast picking and tons of powerchords.

Best thing I ever did to learn to play was pick up a Metallica Riff book called "Riff By Riff". (Keep in mind this was like, 1996 and Metallica wasn't putting out trash like today). I knew ALL the songs from every album, so learning the riffs, breaks, and choruses to em really taught me tons just from reading tabs.

About 6 months ago, I did what I should of done ages ago. I got a bass and an SWR Workingman 4004 4X10 cab. Ibanex BTb 5 string. I love it. Bass is just more fun in my opinion because it's such a different change of pace.
But anywho. Good luck :) You'll need a lot of practice till you feel comfortable holding your own and feeling completely comfortable with your own style.

eROCK

Go Kart Champion
Bass is just more fun in my opinion because it's such a different change of pace.

Right on, bass is really fun. I've played bass with some major acts, and it's probably my favorite instrument. I once had a stripper tell me that she loves the bass guitar the most...it "adds the sex to the music". I agree.

eROCK

Go Kart Champion
im right there with you. 10 years under the belt of both acoustic and electric. whats your axe of choice?

My axes of choice are:
Electric - Gibson SG
Acoustic - Taylor
Bass - Lakland

I've played for over 20 years, so I've had many many guitars, and sold many of them. I'm your typical gear junkie.

06Rabbit

Ready to race!
Have an old Fender Strat for about 10 years (on/off), love it and will never give it up. Still kinda want a Gibson ES-335

As the others have pointed out, Epiphone make pretty good guitars. I've checked them out before at Guitar Center and was impressed.

BlueWabbit

back being low.
wow didn't expect so much input but they are all appreciated thanks guys.

Anyways to answer some of the few questions. I was thinking about maybe going into some Rock, Blues kind of style not sure if I'll make up my own songs but probably just do some covers. But I might try out a nylon classical, my girlfriend owns a steel one it's a bit difficult but I found learning chords on it easier.

I've been to Guitar Center before, just go for kicks with some of my music friends but I never found the whole flashy-ness of Guitar Center appealing after finding a small local shop, I guess the two different places gives off different vibes. One is more humble, the other is rushed. I must admit though Guitar Center has some killer deals though. I'm going to the local shop I mentioned earlier with my girlfriend to pick up her new guitar, and it is a Yamaha too. so, while I am there I'm gonna try to find some entry / mid range guitars and try them on to see if I'm interested in any.

BlueWabbit

back being low.
oh yeah just wondering how did you guys learn how to play guitar? self taught? family / friend? took classes? I was thinking about asking the girlfriend to teach me some chords or even take classes at my community college once the new quarter starts.

06Rabbit

Ready to race!
My dad used to play guitar in a band and he taught me a few things. Then I started to look through his old books with fingering diagrams for various chords and learned from there. A good way to learn more chords (and also how I learned more) is to simply look up your favourite songs and check out the tabs for them. Not the BEST way to learn, but it's more fun when you play something you're familiar with.

07mkvgti

Rally Car Newbie
i play guitar. i would recommend a john mayer martin acoustic :drool: but my first guitar was an epiphone acoustic