GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any guitarists on the board?

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
I am looking into buying a guitar, just starting to do some research.

At this point in time I know jack about playing, but have wanted to get into it for quite some time.

I am looking to spend $5 - 600 on something decent. I have mainly been looking so far at LTD's and Ibanez's just because that's all I really know. I listen to rock/metal and would probably prefer to play that way also. Any other suggestions? I don't want something real cheap, something mid line with upgraded pickups, fixed bridge etc would do nicely.

PanthersNHL7

Ready to race!
I've stuck with Ibanez for the past 5 years, my favorite kind of guitars

Jeffh97

Nanner Puss!
Epiphone SG S400 is the best guitar to play metal on that i have owned. It could be a fluke as well because i have played Gibson SGs that did not sound as good.

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
Well you've got the classic Strat which you could always go with. I have a Mexican made strat (the standard strat) and installed a Seymour Duncan Hot Rail stacked humbucker which fits into the normal single coil slot in the bridge position. It sounds great. Of course, with all single coils the strat is known to be a sort of twangy blues, jazz, and classic rock sound but after I installed the stacked humbucker it is also great at pulling off the heavier tones and has the added crunch. This of course is only one option and the one I would recommend as I have a lot of experience with it.

I personally am not a fan of Ibanez, mostly because I'm not that into metal and that's what Ibanez seems to be aimed towards. Many people are happy with them and they seem to be of decent quality. You also could go for a basic PRS, known for great quality and tone. Clearly there are a lot of choices, except I would advise you to stay away from Epiphone. The tone on my friend's Epi LP isn't that great.

Next you'll also have to consider amps. Do you want to go solid state or tube? Tube amps sound straight sexy but have more issues, can take a while to warm up, and sometimes don't provide the amount of features that a solid state does at the same price.

Raza

Enthusiast
Don't spend too much on a guitar if it's your first time out. My first guitar was a $100 Carlo Robelli (owned by Sam Ash) acoustic/electric that I still play five years later. Sure, I've put work into it (thing almost came apart), but including that, I've got a pretty decent guitar that only cost me $140 total.

If you're set on electric, I recommend either a Mexican Fender Strat or Fat Strat or an Epiphone Les Paul.

I have a Mexi Fat Strat and I love it ($400 + $100 for the case). But the Les Paul will give you a heavier sound and it'll be better and longer, more sustained notes. If you want faster switches, then go with the Strats.

Oh, a Fat Strat is just a strat with a humbucker for the third pickup instead of a third single coil pickup. Gives you a really cool sound.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
I definately want something that can play some heavier tones, and I have been told a fixed bridge is better for that... Which is what leans me away from the Mexican Strats (although they seem a great deal) because I don't think I've seen one with a fixed bridge. I've also been told I want dual pickups for sure. I like bands such as Metallica, Godsmack, Alice in Chains etc etc, the crunchy sound is just awesome to me.

I really like the shape of the Les Paul's, the LTD EC series really looks awesome. I think if I was going to do the style of a Strat, I'd get something with a reverse headstock... Looks cool (although not in purple, heh).

I need to get my hands on some to see what feels better.

I'm not really sure what I want to do with an amp, I honestly haven't even looked at them yet.

Attachments

• LTD EC.jpg
    LTD EC.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 615
  • ibby.gif
    ibby.gif
    53.9 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:

Jeffh97

Nanner Puss!
holy crap jeff that is the funniest/creepiest sig ever!

haha... thats what i was aiming for.

I definately want something that can play some heavier tones, and I have been told a fixed bridge is better for that... Which is what leans me away from the Mexican Strats (although they seem a great deal) because I don't think I've seen one with a fixed bridge. I've also been told I want dual pickups for sure. I like bands such as Metallica, Godsmack, Alice in Chains etc etc, the crunchy sound is just awesome to me.

I really like the shape of the Les Paul's, the LTD EC series really looks awesome. I think if I was going to do the style of a Strat, I'd get something with a reverse headstock... Looks cool (although not in purple, heh).

I need to get my hands on some to see what feels better.

I'm not really sure what I want to do with an amp, I honestly haven't even looked at them yet.

I would go for the LTD i have never been a real big fan of Ibanez except for bass guitars. My first guitar was an ibanez and i can honestly say it was an overpriced hunk of junk.

nayfen

TDI NINJA
by all means buy something your happy with and will enjoy playing. i would not get too bogged down on the precise sound tone qualities at this stage and focus on building up the talent side of things first. i currently play peavey predator plus

also a fan of epiphone.

SAbroSO

Das Captain
If you're looking for a metalish guitar in that price range, you should be good with the LTD's and Ibanez's. That's what they're made for. Same with Jackson and ESP. I would suggest going to the nearest Guitar Center and trying some out to see how they feel and sound. I really like the action on my Ibanez. Strats are nice and have great tone but i wouldn't suggest it for metal. They are versatile instruments but they just don't cut it for the heavier stuff. As for amps everyone always wants to rant and rave about tube amps. Whatever. Solid state amps nowadays are just as good as tube amps and there is no waiting. Besides you can always get one of those P.O.D. modulators with all kinds of amp presets. Those things are pretty sweet. Like i said before. Go out and try some out. See what feels best for you. With the price range you're looking at you can get a decent guitar to start out with. Always look for new music to challenge you and push you to play better. Good luck man and happy shredding!!!:headbang:

senni18

Big Turbo Lover
ive been playing for 10 years and can go all day telling you what type of guitar to buy, but that isnt really going to do much without you going into a music shop and picking up guitars and feeling out what is right for you. i have a total of 12 guitars and i love every one of them. my 2 personal favs are my strat and my epiphone sg g400.both guitars were $400 and well worth it. i play everything and those 2 guitars can be a great start with your search. also ask a guitar tech there. they know what they are talking about.

once you find the guitar that fits you best, pick it up and sign up for some lessons. obviously, you will have to start from nothing and work your way up, but you can gain alot from lessons and a decent amount of practice. remember, finger exercises are key. once you get them down, and start learning the fretboard, you may think you have a grasp on things. you do to an extent, but thats just the beginning! if you do it, stick with it. it will be frustrating, but keep going because playing music is addicting and you will see that you never want to put your guitar down.

best of luck to you and your musical future. if you take in one thing from this giant post, take this in. you lose yourself and you find yourself through playing and that is one of the greatest experiences you can ever feel.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
Thanks for the input guys, it is a great help

I will definately need to visit some local stores and see what feels best. On paper the Ibanez's and LTD's seem to fit the bill though, It'll probably come down to one of those two. I like the Hetfield Truckster LTD but they want like 30% more than a 1000 series and it seems just about the same thing. I'll probably go with a 400 or something.