GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any NAS gurus here (Network Attached Storage)

cb1111

I have a QNAP and a WD MyBook EX NAS and would like to back up my 6 computers in the house to the NAS wirelessly, but not have the NAS accessible from outside the house.

Ideally, I'd then back up one of the NAS boxes to an external HD weekly, that I would then keep off-site.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

All are PCs running Win 11.

Thanks.

For bonus points, can I also hook up another MyBook that is accessible from the net and from one of the computers for a limited number of files while travelling?

Beelz

Passed Driver's Ed
build a cheap desktop with raid support to use as a NAS drive and set it up however you like

cb1111

build a cheap desktop with raid support to use as a NAS drive and set it up however you like
Sure, but I've got the two (two bay) NAS boxes already, each with two 12Gb drives, so I might as well use them.

I just want to figure out an easy way to insulate them from the evil internet.

Beelz

Passed Driver's Ed
Sure, but I've got the two (two bay) NAS boxes already, each with two 12Gb drives, so I might as well use them.

I just want to figure out an easy way to insulate them from the evil internet.
you can configure that from the router usually

tdream1

Autocross Newbie

scrllock

Autocross Champion
no router stuff needed.

set up your backup solution of choice on the windows machines, point them at the NAS.

if the NAS supports external drives, plug it in and set up a recurring backup on the NAS. if you can't do that, do it from one of the windows machines.

no reasonable network should be exposing your NAS by default. what kind of router/wireless access point do you have?

cb1111

no router stuff needed.

set up your backup solution of choice on the windows machines, point them at the NAS. Check

if the NAS supports external drives, plug it in and set up a recurring backup on the NAS. Check if you can't do that, do it from one of the windows machines.

no reasonable network should be exposing your NAS by default. what kind of router/wireless access point do you have? Yeah, this is the issue
Both the QNAP and the WD are accessed via a URL. even if I log into them via File Explorer. I'm also seeing that someone (presumably Chinese) hackers are trying to log into the admin account, but QNAP is blocking those attempts - I'm not even getting the Two-Factor Authorization requests, so QNAP is doing a decent job (so far). This is a known issue for QNAP that apparently are the target of choice for the bad guys.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Both the QNAP and the WD are accessed via a URL. even if I log into them via File Explorer. I'm also seeing that someone (presumably Chinese) hackers are trying to log into the admin account, but QNAP is blocking those attempts - I'm not even getting the Two-Factor Authorization requests, so QNAP is doing a decent job (so far). This is a known issue for QNAP that apparently are the target of choice for the bad guys.
if designed properly they probably run a reverse proxy that's not actually exposing a port directly. my synology is like that, there's a synology.me url which proxies back into the NAS in a safe-ish way.

cb1111

if designed properly they probably run a reverse proxy that's not actually exposing a port directly. my synology is like that, there's a synology.me url which proxies back into the NAS in a safe-ish way.
Ahhh, that makes sense. So if I just direct it to the QNAP in filemanager, I'll be fine.