GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Teachers Out There?

BlueWabbit

back being low.
Hey guys, was just curious if there are any teachers out in the community. To those this may concern I was just curious as to why you wanted to become a teacher? Was it something about teaching that wanted you to be one? Just pretty much a reason as to why you pursued teaching as a career.

Reason asking is well I'm almost about to end my 1st year in community college. As of right now I have been thinking about many majors and careers to pursue but can't really pin point the one just yet. Starting fall I would actually be taking a class to help me choose what kind of major and career to take. So becoming a teacher has been on my mind ever since my highschool math teacher mentioned that I should become a teacher about 3 years ago. I was actually thinking about becoming an elementary teacher and work my way up or just try to shoot for highschool or college.

Anyone that would like to give me some insight it would be much appreciated thanks!

UnNatural GTI

UnNaturally Aspirated
A couple of my friends are teachers. And my wife is a preschool teacher (she wanted to be a first grade teacher, but liked the younger kids best. I have nothing but respect for them, and YOU for doing what you're doing.

danMkv

I teach K-8 Visual Art, about 2 weeks away from finishing my first year. There are pros and cons you should think about.

First off the pay isnt as bad as many people make it out to be, but your not going to live a upper middle class life on 40k-50k a year. That being said the hours are longer than you think. I have to be at my school a hour before and after school so I actually work 9 to 10 hour days. You do get time off in the summer which I assume will be awsome, but you still have to keep up with your lesson plans for the coming year as well as workshops and the like, something around 300hrs of professional education over 5 years to renew your certification in Texas.

Kids are alot to deal with day in and day out, and parents are often times even worse. You will have alot of parents and kids that make you think you have picked the right path. The flip side is also that you will run into idiots who blame you for everything and actually try to make your life hell.

Honestly spend sometime in the classroom, you will likely have to student teach if you end up going for it. After seeing what it is like for a few weeks you will be in a much better spot to decide. Best of luck.

BlueWabbit

back being low.
Thanks, but yeah I totally understand from your point of view. You can get some rotten apples and some that are just plain awesome. I always thought the pay was ok, people thought teachers get paid pretty low... anyways I like working with kids I'm not sure if I could work with them almost half of the year, day in and day out a little bit too much for my taste, but I'm sure I could get used to it. Since I do know a teacher who is retiring this year that spent 50+ years at my old highschool and never regretted a day.

That's why I put highschool teaching into account since they are pretty much young adults and I won't have to deal with immature people. (even though I do remember encountering some a year ago) but you could always send them away for a couple of days haha. But I do enjoy working with young kids because they are so innocent, its like they will show if they either like or hate you, nothing so complex as you get older.

I actually don't mind student teaching I remember my Sophmore year in highschool I went back to my old science class in middle school and basically told students about highschool and how it works. So I didn't exactly teach a class about science but I taught them certain things about highschool, made a hand out and everything.

But thanks Steven for the props and danMkv for the insight much appreciated guys.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
my GF is a teacher just starting out. this year she has an LTO position teaching a grade 2/3 split class with 21 kids i think.

gonyofam3

Ready to race!
Hey guys, was just curious if there are any teachers out in the community. To those this may concern I was just curious as to why you wanted to become a teacher? Was it something about teaching that wanted you to be one? Just pretty much a reason as to why you pursued teaching as a career.

Reason asking is well I'm almost about to end my 1st year in community college. As of right now I have been thinking about many majors and careers to pursue but can't really pin point the one just yet. Starting fall I would actually be taking a class to help me choose what kind of major and career to take. So becoming a teacher has been on my mind ever since my highschool math teacher mentioned that I should become a teacher about 3 years ago. I was actually thinking about becoming an elementary teacher and work my way up or just try to shoot for highschool or college.

Anyone that would like to give me some insight it would be much appreciated thanks!

I'm not a teacher, but I do work for a School District here in CA and right now is not a good time to get into Education, due to our budget crisis. But who knows by the time you finish school and your teaching Credential CA might be out of this hole we're in right now. As far as working for a School District it's great and most of the teachers love it.

BlueWabbit

back being low.
Yeah I know the budget crisis is a wreck but I guess when I think about it we will always need teachers so its a pretty much solid career in the long run.

gonyofam3

Ready to race!
Yeah I know the budget crisis is a wreck but I guess when I think about it we will always need teachers so its a pretty much solid career in the long run.

True, its a great career with a lot of potential.

Anglewood

Gear Head
Just found this thread and thought I would weigh in. I teach middle school science in South Central and have been at it for four years now. First I have to say that I think it is great that you are thinking about becoming a teacher and I hope that I can be of a little help. Teaching is a job that entails a lot more work than the general public thinks. The post above starts to give some idea. There is a lot more homework than I was expecting even after going through student teaching and the like. It is definitely manageable, but don't expect to be working from 8 'til 3 and be done. Like above, I am at school an hour early and often leave late. In terms of pay, I do well enough to support myself, but will need a second income to raise a family. Vacation is, well... nice:thumbup:

That said, it can be both incredibly rewarding, and discouraging at the same time. I would not wish my first year teaching on anyone, but it is where I learned the skills that have taken me though the past three. Classroom management is something that can only be learned through experience but once you get it it makes things much easier. Middle school (I teach 7th and 8th graders) is an interesting time, they are still kids, but they are making decisions that will affect them as adults. I really wouldn't wanna teach any other grade, but you should go with whatever group you feel the most comfortable with. Definitely do some observations or volunteer work to get a better idea of things. Good luck, we can always use more good teachers.

Lates,

Connor