GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anybody here go wheelin'?

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
Went out with a couple of friends to local state park that is all off-road. Instantly hooked on it, my friend has a 2014 Wrangler that he is already beating the hell out of and I got to ride in his friends pickup in the hardest part at that park.

Now pictures and videos don't look all that impressive but that feeling from inside is freakin' insane. I have kinda had a thing for the 1st gen 'Yota 4runner with that removal top and everything. Just looking at local offerings and around all of CA and you find everything from $1k beaters to $15k crawlers, that I would never be able to use to their full capability.

I was just thinking about it last night, I could build/buy a car that does 0-felony in 4 seconds, but maybe a wheeler is a new option. Somewhere down the line both, 'cause someday I will have a V8 powered beast that scares the neighbors children when I start it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I lightly wheel my 1st gen cummins. Things got pretty serious in my off road toys of the past tho, '89 Nissan Hardbody, Geo Tracker, and two vw powered rail buggies.

Other than that Ive been riding and racing mx since I was 5. Just sold my 2013 KTM 250sx to buy a second mk6 for the wife

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
Love the Dodge and two buggies. Was an air-cooled fan before the Gti even came to America.

Wheelin' just seems right for me at this point. I guess I have already made my decision, a 4Runner will be my next purchase. Swore I'd never buy another Toyota...

GoodysGotaCuda

Ready to race!
I just got out of rock crawling, for now. Texas parks just don't really cut it for me and my daily was turning into more of a trail rig every year. '09 JK I bought new, 37s, beadlocks, cage'd, 12klb winch, bumpers, armor, locked, trussed housing, ram-assist steering...etc.etc I'd have to get downright silly for a rig I took to work on Monday at the off-road parks to get it bound up. How capable it was would down-right stump people that were new to off-roading that I took with me.Locked front and rear, 37s with 4psi in them....It had a ton of grip. I always acted like I wasn't sure it'd do certain trails with people and it didn't help their anxiety.."eh, i guess we'll see if it'll make it" lol. In the end I had a blast in it and putting it together, the Jeep community is an awesome one to participate in. Some of the older 'Yota guys are a good group as well, but stay the hell away from FJ cruisers, good-god those things are turds on rocks.

I set it up for 40s but just couldn't get there on a daily-driven rig. Built 110% in my own garage...I'll be back in another Jeep some day. For now I'm doing a 3rd gen hemi/viper 6spd swap in my Plymouth 'Cuda. I sold the Jeep, paid cash for the Golf and help funded some of the 'Cuda parts.

I wouldn't dare recommend getting something other than a rig that came with a solid-front axle out of the factory if you plan on rock crawling..like I bet you will in Southern California. My Wrangler was my first 4x4 and I can't say enough good things about the JK platform for putting a dual-purpose rig together.

Last edited:

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
OMFG that articulation! Yeah, don't think i need travel like that as a beginner. But found some Yodas with way more travel than i will need at my skill level. Also reading a few people saying there could be an issue with carbs at extreme angles in the 22R. Oh well, worry about that when i get some experience.

Jealous on the 'Cuda, not a huge Mopar fan but would never say no to that experience.

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
If I could build old skool American, probably 66-67 Chevy II 2 door or wagon.

I'll consider the Cherokee, be really pissed if I decide on that 'cause the person getting me into this just sold his Cherokee to a friend in Washington for $3500. And it would have been a great starter rig.

Last edited:

vrBilstein86

Ready to race!
If I could build old skool American, probably 66-67 Chevy II 2 door or wagon.

I'll consider the Cherokee, be really pissed if I decide on that 'cause the person getting me into this just sold his Cherokee to a friend in Washington for $3500. And it would have been a great starter rig.
Oh man!!! This is my territory...I'm 28 and i have been involved in off-roading for about 18 years now. I know quite a lot about Toyota's. Especially when it comes to suspension lifts and performance. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

And the 4runner is a great choice as well as the Cherokee. The 22r motors that you will find on older Yota's are bullet proof. They last forever and make great high rpm power. Which is perfect for rock crawling/off-road. I properly punished my Yota with the 22r and had no issue with the carb at extreme angles...Any Cherokee from 94-01' with the inline 6 will be what you want. You can spend just under $1,000 for a 3'' suspension lift and a good pair of shocks, and this will take you anywhere you'd want to go. And lets just say you love it and want to pursue it more, then you could always turn your Cherokee into Jeepspeed.

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
Oh man!!! This is my territory...I'm 28 and i have been involved in off-roading for about 18 years now. I know quite a lot about Toyota's. Especially when it comes to suspension lifts and performance. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

And the 4runner is a great choice as well as the Cherokee. The 22r motors that you will find on older Yota's are bullet proof. They last forever and make great high rpm power. Which is perfect for rock crawling/off-road. I properly punished my Yota with the 22r and had no issue with the carb at extreme angles...Any Cherokee from 94-01' with the inline 6 will be what you want. You can spend just under $1,000 for a 3'' suspension lift and a good pair of shocks, and this will take you anywhere you'd want to go. And lets just say you love it and want to pursue it more, then you could always turn your Cherokee into Jeepspeed.

It will be depend on the market at the time I have the money. Definitely more 4Runners available here, but Cherokees are a bit cheaper. Mi amigo still has parts from the one he just got rid of. So parts for 4" lift and some other stuff I have no clue what they're for.

I'm trying to relate my R/C rock crawling experience to the real thing but there are definite differences. I'm talking about the parts. Driving may be a bit similar.

I'll let you know if I have any questions.