GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone else doing the Keto Diet?

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
I think I'm doing something wrong. This myfitness app is telling me that I'm not eating enough. I haven't really changed the amounts that I've been eating. Why am I fat if I'm not eating enough lol. I think this app might be way off in terms of how many calories etc are in each food. I'm also feeling malnourished but I'm following everything that I'm reading to a T. Headache hasn't gone away the last few days, I'm sure I'm drinking enough water. It's probably the lack of sugar that's giving me the headache.

Kinda discouraged at the moment.

The app tells you that if your deficit is more than a predetermined value because they consider it not healthy. Just use it to track your ratios and total carbs. Worry less about what they recommend for net cals

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I think I'm doing something wrong. This myfitness app is telling me that I'm not eating enough. I haven't really changed the amounts that I've been eating. Why am I fat if I'm not eating enough lol. I think this app might be way off in terms of how many calories etc are in each food. I'm also feeling malnourished but I'm following everything that I'm reading to a T. Headache hasn't gone away the last few days, I'm sure I'm drinking enough water. It's probably the lack of sugar that's giving me the headache.

Kinda discouraged at the moment.

Have you gone to the gym? If you go to the gym and log your calories burned, then MFP will tell you to eat those calories as well. Don’t do it, it’ll be too much.

Have you calculated your calorie and macro needs?

https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/ is a great place to start. Once you have those calculated, you can change your goals in MFP. Open the app and go to More > Goals > Calorie & Macronutrient Goals and adjust there.

The headache is probably sugar/carb withdrawals and it sucks but it’ll be over soon. You can try ibuprofen or aspirin (whichever you usually take), it should help a bit! Carbs trigger fat storage and you typically eat a lot of them, so while you may be “under” what MFP says your calorie intake may need to be less than what it says, or you may have eaten more calories than you thought you did before making the switch

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Keto breakfast. 500 calories, 2 carbs.

That looks delicious. Want to know a bacon trick? Put that shit in the oven.

Preheat oven to 425. Cover bottom of flat sheet pan with tin foil. Place bacon on tin foil. Put in pre-heated oven for 15 minutes.

Try it, it changed my bacon-cooking habits forever.

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
That looks delicious. Want to know a bacon trick? Put that shit in the oven.

Preheat oven to 425. Cover bottom of flat sheet pan with tin foil. Place bacon on tin foil. Put in pre-heated oven for 15 minutes.

Try it, it changed my bacon-cooking habits forever.

I will try that in the next couple days!

This was my post workout meal yesterday. 1/2 pound 80/20 beef, pepper jack cheese, buffalo ranch and spinach. 2 carbs.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
The app tells you that if your deficit is more than a predetermined value because they consider it not healthy. Just use it to track your ratios and total carbs. Worry less about what they recommend for net cals
Yeah I feel kinda dumb about all of this. Not sure how to make sense of all of the numbers.

Have you gone to the gym? If you go to the gym and log your calories burned, then MFP will tell you to eat those calories as well. Don’t do it, it’ll be too much.

Have you calculated your calorie and macro needs?

https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/ is a great place to start. Once you have those calculated, you can change your goals in MFP. Open the app and go to More > Goals > Calorie & Macronutrient Goals and adjust there.

The headache is probably sugar/carb withdrawals and it sucks but it’ll be over soon. You can try ibuprofen or aspirin (whichever you usually take), it should help a bit! Carbs trigger fat storage and you typically eat a lot of them, so while you may be “under” what MFP says your calorie intake may need to be less than what it says, or you may have eaten more calories than you thought you did before making the switch
I go to the gym pretty regularly, nothing crazy though. About 4 times a week, 30 min cardio and 30 min weights.

I think I need to hire someone to create a plan for me. The more I read and the more I try to do it myself the more confused I'm getting. None of this shit makes sense to me, I never studied nutrition or anything, how did you guys learn all this stuff?

Ugh I should just stick to working on cars lol

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I feel kinda dumb about all of this. Not sure how to make sense of all of the numbers.

I go to the gym pretty regularly, nothing crazy though. About 4 times a week, 30 min cardio and 30 min weights.

I think I need to hire someone to create a plan for me. The more I read and the more I try to do it myself the more confused I'm getting. None of this shit makes sense to me, I never studied nutrition or anything, how did you guys learn all this stuff?

On ruled.me there is a 30 day meal plan. I would download that and pick out all the meals that you think would fit your taste and then make a meal plan starting one week at a time. If you have a plan and shop around it, you won't cheat on your foods and won't stress yourself out trying to figure out what's for dinner when you're already hungry

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I will try that in the next couple days!
This was my post workout meal yesterday. 1/2 pound 80/20 beef, pepper jack cheese, buffalo ranch and spinach. 2 carbs.

How do you spend your time in the gym? I know you're looking to lean out prior to flight school but are you looking to increase lean mass at the same time or just lose fat and maintain? I would suggest making POST workout meals as lean as possible, sticking with low-fat meals just after working out. Carb-free protein shakes or a meal with lean protein and veggies with as little fat as possible. You want your body to easily absorb that meal to help rebuild your muscle tissue and because fat is digested very slowly, it could hinder any muscle gain or maintenance you're hoping to accomplish.

Hey man, this is a huge lifestyle change - it's not JUST a "diet". It's a lot to take in, especially all at once and jumping in feet first. I researched ketogenic eating habits, as well as other options (Whole30, Atkins, Paleo, Primal) for weeks before I started the diet, and even then I struggled for the first couple of weeks. It's normal, it's fine, you can do this.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i jumped right in. but i have a buddy who did it who i attend the gym with so he has kind of guided me. plus im kind of a google expert

For keto is all about cutting carbs out and having a high fat diet. your switching from carb for energy to fat for energy.

The keto flu happens and hits people all differently some people have flu like symptoms for days or even a week. others feel bad for like half a day. I personally had minor headaches and the poops for a couple days. the Keto flu is CARB/SUGAR WITHDRAWS. The reason keto usually works well for people who commit to it is you switch to burning fat for energy so you start burning off your body fat when you introduce the calorie deficit and you loose body fat.

You dont want to intake a lot of protein while on keto because protein can synthesize into glycogen(or glucose i cant quite remember) and spike your blood sugar causing you to go out of ketosis and stop producing keytones(which are what eat fat for energy/ the byproduct of using fat as energy).

My typical day of food is around 130-150 grams of fat. 80-110 grams of protein and under 20 net carbs. I usually end up around 1600-1900 calories. which based on my estimations of exercise per day gives me a 25-30% calorie deficit than what is estimated that my body uses. I work out doing probably an 45 minutes to 1.5 hours of strength training and 15 minutes of cardio to end.

If you are trying to lean down not a lot of weight i would just suggest cutting out sugar and dumb crappy food you know you shouldnt eat with a calorie deficit diet (not a keto or carb diet but just a regular deficit diet) and do more cardio exercise.

DarianBx3

Ready to race!
I don't know what my goals should be really. I have a muscular upper body but this huge beer gut too. Currently I weigh 187.

https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

This website will do all of that, just put in the data it asks you.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i had slightly modified my diet today. I'm adding intermittent fasting to the table now. My last meal is usually around 9-10pm (after my work out) so now im following the 16/8 fasting technique where i fast for 16 hours and eat my macros withhin an 8 hour window.
So basically if my last meal was at 10pm i can eat again at 2pm and then i need to eat my macros in 1-3 meals within that 8 hour period.

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
Day four. Down four pounds. Feeling great!

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
i had slightly modified my diet today. I'm adding intermittent fasting to the table now. My last meal is usually around 9-10pm (after my work out) so now im following the 16/8 fasting technique where i fast for 16 hours and eat my macros withhin an 8 hour window.
So basically if my last meal was at 10pm i can eat again at 2pm and then i need to eat my macros in 1-3 meals within that 8 hour period.

I do this, I usually don’t eat until noon, consuming all of my calories between noon and 20:00. The only thing I have is black coffee, except on one or two days I have some bulletproof coffee in the mornings.

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
Well I severely injured myself in the gym this morning. Something in my back is fucked. Hurts to move and occasionally breathing is a bit painful. Going to have to really watch the calories for a few days and also try to heal myself. Nothing is ever easy is it?

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I severely injured myself in the gym this morning. Something in my back is fucked. Hurts to move and occasionally breathing is a bit painful. Going to have to really watch the calories for a few days and also try to heal myself. Nothing is ever easy is it?

Yikes! You should get that looked at ASAP. Don’t mess around with your back.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
yeah i second going to a doctor/chiropractor. Don't wanna start self medicating and nursing a back injury for years