GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone lower with stock 17's?

andrewt

Autocross Champion

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
andrewt said:
i'd go with 18's to move up to a lower profile tire if i wanted maximum handling.

If I was racing, on track conditions, with a lightweight forged rim, and had an extra $1600, then yes, I would choose 18's also.

However, this is a daily driver, in New Jersey(less than optimal road conditions), with a limited budget.
17x8's for 1/4 the price but the same weight seems like a good deal to me.

- 17's are more predictable and provide better driver feedback at the limit of traction.
- All else being equal 17's are lighter than 18's.
- Traction is more a function of tread width, compound, and weight at these sizes.
- Sidewall height will alter feedback, response, and tire deformation.

The point is that 17's can perform just as well as, if not better than 18's, under certain conditions.

Aesthetics are another subject entirely.

Asianguy

Passed Driver's Ed
hi freaks :smile:

im from germany and i want to show u my car lowered with original 17 s GTi wheels.

my english ist not so good, so be patient :w00t:

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
Andrewt, what shocks/springs did you go with to lower your car, and about how much lower did it go from stock? Your car has exacty the amount of lowering I hope to achieve with my 17" stock rims.

andrewt

Autocross Champion
davis_grad said:
Andrewt, what shocks/springs did you go with to lower your car, and about how much lower did it go from stock? Your car has exacty the amount of lowering I hope to achieve with my 17" stock rims.

they're H&R coilovers. to be perfectly honest, i didn't measure the height before i installed the suspension, so i can't even guess at how much its dropped. i just started at a point, and kept adjusting until it looked right to me. if you're willing to measure your stock ride height, i'll be happy to measure mine in the same way you did to get a rough estimate about how much its lowered. let me know.

thanks for the compliment! :biggrin:

rica_roel

Rally Car Newbie
I did it before buying the new 18 shoes, It looked much better than Original springs.

H&R Sport Springs
H&R Rear Sway Bar

Sorry no pictures
Cheers

NewYorkMike

So hot right now. . .
on saturday at the EVOMS GTG, i saw the EVOMS project car. It was lowered on coilovers with the stock 17's...but they were running spacers onthe rear wheels and what a tremendous diff that made on the stance!!! I saw that and am finding out what size they are running from Anders. He said that they are working on spacers with hub rings for the fronts... I can't wait!

Pics from the GTG

the Evoms cars

and a whole lot of MKV love

Last edited: